Canada GX Owner Updates

killy

Mar 8, 2024
Media
YYC
Figured I would toss out a question to the masses,

Anyone have any updates on the GX rollout in Canada?
Every time I talk to my guy I get the same " I have no updates and no timeline for you to get your vehicle ". At this point I can't even tell if thats the truth or he has dropped the ball on my order.

Seems like the GX has rolled out alot alot quicker south of the border, and if I hadn't seen a couple cars on the road with my own 2 eyes I would swear we haven't had a single delivery yet.

Anyone on here in the great white north get a car?

I know people who joined the Land Cruiser waitlist wayyyyyy after I ordered my GX already have their LCs. You would think the backlog would be through by now on GX...

Every time I talk to my guy I get the same " I have no updates and no timeline for you to get your vehicle ". At this point I can't even tell if thats the truth or he has dropped the ball on my order.

Seems like the GX has rolled out alot alot quicker south of the border, and if I hadn't seen a couple cars on the road with my own 2 eyes I would swear we haven't had a single delivery yet.

I know people who joined the Land Cruiser waitlist wayyyyyy after I ordered my GX already have their LCs. You would think the backlog would be through by now on GX...
I picked up one a few weeks ago. Kind of lucked into it. In June of 2023 when the first pics came out I put my name on a waitlist with my local dealer. Fast forward a year later and my local dealer kept telling me he had no idea of what he was getting or when they might come. Not sure if there really was a prioritized wait list. I had seen a couple in town so I know some had arrived.

There are 6 Lexus dealers in the province I live in. I was checking their websites and one day I was surprised to see a dealer in another city had one in stock. I contacted them and they told me that vehicle did not exist yet, and that Lexus populated their website when they had a future allocation.

A couple of weeks later this dealer contacted me again saying they had the model I was interested in coming in late Sept. It had a tan color interior and I said I was only interested in black on black. Well later that day he called again and said they had a deal fall through and had the one I wanted available for sale, so long as I picked it up within 2 days, as it was end of the month and this agent wanted to get the sale. So I scrambled around to arrange travel details and get myself to this dealer in a different city. When i arrived it all went as planned. I traded in the 2013 GX460 I had bought new 11 years earlier. That was a great SUV and in some ways was sad to see it go, but we are very happy with the new one we are driving now.

Just got the whole vehicle wrapped in PPF. There is a lot of paint on the front end that is subject to rock chips, and I know that happens based on my previous black GX.

Sounds like your experience is similar to mine, but good on you for bird dogging an allocation.

Whole process is leaving a pretty sour taste in my mouth so far and my excitement for this vehicle is waning.

I have had the same experience and get the same response from my guy “no update and no timeline”.

This is my first experience with Lexus and I’m amazed at how poorly the operation appears to be run.

I’m with you on the sour taste. I’m starting to consider another Land Rover

Yea it’s not lost on me at all that I could walk into a showroom and leave with a very comparable defender for a very comparable price this afternoon if I wanted to…

Don't give in it will be worth the wait. I live in the Wash DC area and still have not seen one on the roads. Just not many out there yet.

The car industry has changed a lot since Covid. Until 2020 you could walk into a dealer and have your pick of cars and negotiate a price under MSRP. Now with supply chain issues, inventory is very minimal for desirable models and there is no movement on price. Luckily there was not "market adjustment" on the price I paid for the GX I just got. If you want a RX, there are tons available, but for a GX550 or a LX, they are few and far between. And with the GX, I think there is a lot of pent up demand. The 460 had been around for a long time. We had looked at getting newer model years ago but my wife hated the front end, and this SUV was for her. So we waited till the new model came out and we think it looks great. But it isn't great how you are treated at dealers. Complete lack of information. They say they have no idea about inventory coming. Seems like a bizarre way to run a business. All I expect is honesty. I think this will all settle down in a few years when all those who have been waiting for the new model have theirs. Right now the GX is a hot commodity.

In 2021 I bought a Porsche 911 for myself. The dealer was great. You can specify exactly what you want, track it through production and see it being shipped from Germany. No mystery, completely open and transparent. And it only took 3 months from when I ordered it till is was in my garage. A completely different experience than with Lexus on the sales side. I will say I have always been happy with Lexus on the service side in my 11 years of owning a Lexus.

I put down a deposit in August 2023 at my Vancouver Lexus dealer. Last fall when the spec's and options etc were released my sales guy called me in and we over my order choice, white OverTrail+. About 6 weeks ago I got a call that a customer had cancelled his order and a green one was available but it was still 3 months out. I passed as paying that much I decided best to get what I want. Part of me is hoping the 2025 models will be introduced before my order comes in.

I haven’t seen one on the roads yet here & I’d think there should be a few by now. It seems supply chain issues are affecting more than just Lexus though. Higher trim Tacos & LC’s are only now becoming available. 4R is pushed back. I can’t even go look at a Ranger because other manufacturers can’t produce any more cars than Toyota can. I wonder if the manufacturers will all keep up the facade of scarcity as long as they can, at least until prices & interest rates catch up to them.

I’ve seen 2 on the roads, there is an incognito executive that I see regularly, and a second executive in black.

Have started seeing LC’s including one this AM.

Reactions: MJE
The ranger raptor really is 2 things. A great halo car for the Ranger lineup. And. By far the cheapest way to get into a raptor. Not bad work at all on Ford’s part!

I’d be looking more Lariat, representing the bottom end of my upgrade budget. With GX OT/OT+ representing the top end. The rest of the Toyota BOF offerings falling somewhere in between. Bottom end I think would be a nice upgrade, but perhaps more of a step up than a whole scale change. Whereas the GX would definitely be all the car I’d need well well into my retirement. One might be a 5 year car, the other might be a ‘forever’ car, whatever that might be. Not sure what way I go yet.

How strict are you on your build? I got mine almost 2 months ago by checking the inventory of every Lexus dealer website in my area. One dealer had a Nori green in stock and I called to confirm. Went in the same afternoon and got the deal done.

There are dealers with extra inventory but you got to be on top of it. The dealer I went to had a white GX sitting there too due to the original customer not being able to get financing. That got sold to somebody else in a few days.

So far I've only seen 4 other GX on the road. The roll out is slow. I've never owned a car that is not black but that Nori green is so beautiful in person. So if you're not strict on exactly what you want, then try your luck checking the inventory online.

I mean there are no available options and I want an Overtrail+, I've communicated to my dealer that my order is an earth coloured black interior OT+ but would consider other colours that are available and to call me with whatever is available.

Both dealers in my area have a 50+ car wait list at this point.

Got mine at Lexus of Edmonton around 3rd week in July. Both the owner Bruce and my rep Ethan did a fantastic job keeping me in the loop. (great guys) Don't remember the exact timeline but think it was about 5 months from my deposit to delivery. Bought the Luxury Model in Eminent White Pearl. Love the looks, the massage seats and the power, disappointed in the "luxury" interior, (too much plastic and not enough leather) also disappointed in the 3M quality and the auto braking system when backing up our boat. Tried tow mode and shutting off all the drivers assist but it still brakes automatically. If you have your foot heavy enough on the brake when backing up it doesn't do it as much. Ride isn't great with the 22's but overall really love the vehicle despite some shortcomings.

I recently put my deposit down for a GX550 in the GTA. I'm expecting more than a year wait but I'm ok with this as my current Toyota is old but still running fine.

I talked to a bunch of Lexus dealers in the GTA, the wait time estimates varied from 4 months to 2 years, with no forced options, some are even dropping the $1K dealer fee. The sales manager at the dealership that gave a 4 month estimate suggested a bunch of Canadian GX550's are going into production and the 2024 backlog should clear quickly before the 2025 MY hits but I'm taking that with a huge grain of salt.

Another sales manager said people are beginning to drop their reservations and is optimistic that I'd get my order under eight months if I'm flexible with colour and packages, he wasn't pushy on the deposit saying he doesn't get paid until he actually sells the car. Again I'm taking everything the dealers say with a grain of salt.

I was on the wait list for a Land Cruiser but my sales rep showed me his internal dealer allocation emails and the sales manager is being sleezy forcing 1) dealer installed options, 2) ECP and 3) giving priority to leasing over buying to get to the top of the list. They last two they sold were going $15K over sticker. Until the supply situation improves for LC people who aren't paying extra will remain at the bottom of the list.

Reactions: MJE
I recently put my deposit down for a GX550 in the GTA. I'm expecting more than a year wait but I'm ok with this as my current Toyota is old but still running fine.

I talked to a bunch of Lexus dealers in the GTA, the wait time estimates varied from 4 months to 2 years, with no forced options, some are even dropping the $1K dealer fee. The sales manager at the dealership that gave a 4 month estimate suggested a bunch of Canadian GX550's are going into production and the 2024 backlog should clear quickly before the 2025 MY hits but I'm taking that with a huge grain of salt.

Another sales manager said people are beginning to drop their reservations and is optimistic that I'd get my order under eight months if I'm flexible with colour and packages, he wasn't pushy on the deposit saying he doesn't get paid until he actually sells the car. Again I'm taking everything the dealers say with a grain of salt.

I was on the wait list for a Land Cruiser but my sales rep showed me his internal dealer allocation emails and the sales manager is being sleezy forcing 1) dealer installed options, 2) ECP and 3) giving priority to leasing over buying to get to the top of the list. They last two they sold were going $15K over sticker. Until the supply situation improves for LC people who aren't paying extra will remain at the bottom of the list.
Welcome to the forum.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%