Coming to a GX on order from a 2022 Defender

Kidon.357

Aug 25, 2024
Chicago, IL
Hello all,
I put a deposit down at a dealer today on an overtrail or overtail +. I'm coming from a 2022 Defender, which I love everything about, except the repeated trips to the dealer for various niggles and check engine lights. I ordered my Defender in 2021 and after about 9 months it arrived and I purchased it with the intention of keeping it for a long time. I ordered the P400 with all the offroad equipment and none of the over the top luxury stuff.

After some reliability issues and the difficulty with upgrades like going to larger wheels and tires, I've been researching the GX550 a lot as I think the looks are banging and it seems like you can't beat Lexus/Toyota reliablity.

I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far from the new aftermarket offerings that are coming out for the GX. The ability to go to 17" wheels and 35" tires relatively simply is great. Even just really solid true 33" tires would be nice as these rub on a Defender P400 if they can be fit at all.

Reactions: MJE
I've always "wanted" a Range Rover but have always heard they are not very reliable. Th 550 has the Range Rover look, but with the Toyota reliability we all appreciate. How will the 349HP stack up against your Defender?

Hello all,
I put a deposit down at a dealer today on an overtrail or overtail +. I'm coming from a 2022 Defender, which I love everything about, except the repeated trips to the dealer for various niggles and check engine lights. I ordered my Defender in 2021 and after about 9 months it arrived and I purchased it with the intention of keeping it for a long time. I ordered the P400 with all the offroad equipment and none of the over the top luxury stuff.

After some reliability issues and the difficulty with upgrades like going to larger wheels and tires, I've been researching the GX550 a lot as I think the looks are banging and it seems like you can't beat Lexus/Toyota reliablity.

I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far from the new aftermarket offerings that are coming out for the GX. The ability to go to 17" wheels and 35" tires relatively simply is great. Even just really solid true 33" tires would be nice as these rub on a Defender P400 if they can be fit at all.
Welcome to the forum.

I've always "wanted" a Range Rover but have always heard they are not very reliable. Th 550 has the Range Rover look, but with the Toyota reliability we all appreciate. How will the 349HP stack up against your Defender?
GX has a little less HP than the p400 Defender, but more torque. Depending on whose numbers you believe, I think their 0-60 times are about the same.

Hello all,

I came from Land Rovers as well. Great vehicles when they are running right, a total nightmare when they are not. One was pretty much bullet proof, the second....lasted about a year before it started with electrical issues. I'm waiting for a 25 GX Overtrail as well.

We have a '22 Defender and an 550 OT+. Love both of them! We have had a few weird issues on the Defender, including lots of dash rattling and constantly low on coolant. It's nice and smooth, but really love the GX feel better. Feels more solid.

I bought my GX550 Overtrail in early June after over 25 years of Land Rovers. First was a 1996 Discovery with typical Rover issues, more than other vehicles but not too bad. Then a 2004 Discovery with lots of issues, horrible cooling system, 4.6L V8 engine had known casting issues and I ended up having a second engine put in (long after warranty was gone), sold the 2004 for parts after the second engine cracked its block. Then a 2013 LR4 (Discovery 4) with a 5.0L V8 with great power, rear locker, incredible off road, but it just couldn't stay out of the shop. Horrible cooling system, couldn't trust the engine, air suspension, electronics, etc. Also had to jump through a ton of expensive hoops just to get 32" tires to fit. Jettisoned that LR4 as fast as possible and ran to the safety of a Toyota product. Loving it now. Land Rover now makes cars that should be rented only (leased) and never owned, and used only for cruising city streets while commercials about African Safari dreams play in the background.

So I came from a 2020 defender which I loved but wow I was friends with the service people and they never had loaner cars. So many things went wrong
Now the door weight and the build of the defender is heavy serious machine.
The GX feels a little less in quality
The drive modes in the GX are great it has way more room than the defender all the safety driver assist stuff is 100 times better seats are more comfortable. Love the lift gate compared to door swing Insurance is cheaper than a defender. But again that defender is a machine like crazy good shell build quality the doors are tanks. Now I have a overtrail. The overtrail plus has better glass so the doors probably are more robust.
Anyway good luck I love the GX and also miss the defender

We have a '22 Defender and an 550 OT+. Love both of them! We have had a few weird issues on the Defender, including lots of dash rattling and constantly low on coolant. It's nice and smooth, but really love the GX feel better. Feels more solid.
Interesting. My 110 is in dealer shop right now. It gave me a message a few months ago that coolant was low, I checked it visually and it was fine and only 30 days post 18k service. I just got the message again and took it in, and now the dealer says it wouldnt start and they are consulting with Land Rover engineering. This is the first I've seen with someone else having a coolant warning issue.

I bought my GX550 Overtrail in early June after over 25 years of Land Rovers. First was a 1996 Discovery with typical Rover issues, more than other vehicles but not too bad. Then a 2004 Discovery with lots of issues, horrible cooling system, 4.6L V8 engine had known casting issues and I ended up having a second engine put in (long after warranty was gone), sold the 2004 for parts after the second engine cracked its block. Then a 2013 LR4 (Discovery 4) with a 5.0L V8 with great power, rear locker, incredible off road, but it just couldn't stay out of the shop. Horrible cooling system, couldn't trust the engine, air suspension, electronics, etc. Also had to jump through a ton of expensive hoops just to get 32" tires to fit. Jettisoned that LR4 as fast as possible and ran to the safety of a Toyota product. Loving it now. Land Rover now makes cars that should be rented only (leased) and never owned, and used only for cruising city streets while commercials about African Safari dreams play in the background.
I can definitely see why you switch after those experiences. This was my first LR after years of dreaming about having one and loving the looks of the 110 when it came out. I had the perspective of "how bad could it really be" in terms of the reliability. As I eye 1 year of warranty left though, I'm becoming somewhat less sanguine with the long term prospects of ownership.

So I came from a 2020 defender which I loved but wow I was friends with the service people and they never had loaner cars. So many things went wrong
Now the door weight and the build of the defender is heavy serious machine.
The GX feels a little less in quality
The drive modes in the GX are great it has way more room than the defender all the safety driver assist stuff is 100 times better seats are more comfortable. Love the lift gate compared to door swing Insurance is cheaper than a defender. But again that defender is a machine like crazy good shell build quality the doors are tanks. Now I have a overtrail. The overtrail plus has better glass so the doors probably are more robust.
Anyway good luck I love the GX and also miss the defender
Thanks for your prespective. Interesting note about the glass difference. I would honestly prefer the overtrail to the + because I don't really care about the heads up display, digital key, etc... I feel a bit roped into because they paywalled the memory seats in the + package, which seems silly but those are a must as my wife and I trade cars weekly as my office parking is too low for most SUVs.

When shopping for the overtrail most of them had HUD display as an added option. Mine did and I don’t need it but I kind of love it.
My problems with defender 110
Started with coolant warning light
Then windshield and safelite started re calibrate cameras with no luck all safety systems off till a 3 day service to fix
Then heated steering wheel stopped working new steering wheel ordered 2 days in shop
After one year headlight out
Wait for parts needed new harness
Never got updates software issue one day in shop ( I have to say Land Rover updates are like a lot always improving something does Lexus do updates?)
Then the truck took 60 seconds to reach 40 mph in shop 3 days needed a new fuel injector part
Then last draw driving normal high speeds A pillar fell off when I had 70k miles on truck they wanted 600 to order part paint and install
Now I’m in a GX

LOL....A-pillar trim is always flying off Land Rovers on the highway. I probably wasted nearly $1,000 buying and replacing A-pillar trim pieces and the little yellow fasteners on my 2004 and my 2013. I bought my 2013 in San Diego in August 2020 with 69k miles and the A-pillar trim flew off on the drive home somewhere around Yuma. In my 3.67 years of owning the 2013 it went into the shop 14 times for maintenance items and 16 times for repair. I spent $31,013.40 on maintenance and repair. I bought the damn truck for $28,285.33.

The best part is that I listed the truck for sale on about May 14th. The very next day, I pull out of my driveway on the way to a job site and the coolant light comes on when I'm about 500 feet from home. The coolant light is the death knell for Land Rovers. Land Rover cooling systems are on par with their electrical systems. If the coolant light comes on, you better shut down that engine within 10 seconds or the engine is toast. Anyway, I get out to pop the hood to check the coolant level and as soon I open the door I smell the sweet scent of baked Land Rover coolant and I can see and hear all of the coolant dumping out. There's a coolant trail 500 feet back to my driveway. Another $,1847.94 to the repair shop before I can sell it, thank you very much.

LOL....A-pillar trim is always flying off Land Rovers on the highway. I probably wasted nearly $1,000 buying and replacing A-pillar trim pieces and the little yellow fasteners on my 2004 and my 2013. I bought my 2013 in San Diego in August 2020 with 69k miles and the A-pillar trim flew off on the drive home somewhere around Yuma. In my 3.67 years of owning the 2013 it went into the shop 14 times for maintenance items and 16 times for repair. I spent $31,013.40 on maintenance and repair. I bought the damn truck for $28,285.33.

The best part is that I listed the truck for sale on about May 14th. The very next day, I pull out of my driveway on the way to a job site and the coolant light comes on when I'm about 500 feet from home. The coolant light is the death knell for Land Rovers. Land Rover cooling systems are on par with their electrical systems. If the coolant light comes on, you better shut down that engine within 10 seconds or the engine is toast. Anyway, I get out to pop the hood to check the coolant level and as soon I open the door I smell the sweet scent of baked Land Rover coolant and I can see and hear all of the coolant dumping out. There's a coolant trail 500 feet back to my driveway. Another $,1847.94 to the repair shop before I can sell it, thank you very much.
Thats a big OUCH. That is a lot of spend just to keep it running. This is the first I've heard of the coolant light being a death knell... not encouraging.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)