Digital Key

coffeecigars

Aug 4, 2024
Media
Are the Overtrails equipped with Digital Key? Is it something you can add on ?

Anyone have experience with using there phone as a key fob ?

Aa

Are the Overtrails equipped with Digital Key? Is it something you can add on ?

Anyone have experience with using there phone as a key fob ?

Aa
Yes, my OT+ has it. It was installed as a “port installed option.” I have a connected, no issues yet, but I am still learning to trust it.

My Overtrail also has it and it works very well. It does much more than merely lock/unlock doors and start the motor. If you forget to lock your vehicle, it will page (text) you to let you know it was left unsecured.

You can additionally see how much fuel and range is left in the truck, whether there are any faults, last place parked, among other things.

Very cool stuff.

Digital key is different than using the app to connect and check status or remote start it. The digital key let's you use you phone as a key fob where you can get in and drive it with only your phone and no other key fob. With the app if you start it, you cannot drive it unless you hold the brake and press the start button with a key fob nearby. I use the app, like Nico mentioned, but my OT does not have the digital key option. If you have the digital key it will show on your window sticker in the far right section. I have not talked to the dealer yet about whether that can be added after, seems like it might just be a software install or feature enable process, but I'm not sure.

Digital key is different than using the app to connect and check status or remote start it. The digital key let's you use you phone as a key fob where you can get in and drive it with only your phone and no other key fob. With the app if you start it, you cannot drive it unless you hold the brake and press the start button with a key fob nearby. I use the app, like Nico mentioned, but my OT does not have the digital key option. If you have the digital key it will show on your window sticker in the far right section. I have not talked to the dealer yet about whether that can be added after, seems like it might just be a software install or feature enable process, but I'm not sure.
Whoops! Thanks for the clarification Seth! I thought all the things I mentioned were the digital key feature, lol. I think I need to spend some time and read the owners manuals.

Whoops! Thanks for the clarification Seth! I thought all the things I mentioned were the digital key feature, lol. I think I need to spend some time and read the owners manuals.
Yeah, same here. I've had my GX since mid May, so I've just had a little more time to figure a few things out through trial and error or web searches. I really appreciate this forum though, it has been very helpful to me and I just want to share what I have learned so we can all make the most of our cool new vehicles.

I use Digital Key a lot, it's so much worse than the Tesla method

I don't understand how Lexus is 20 years behind

I've had trouble with the digitial key staying downloaded. I reinstalled the app and think it is staying now, but not always working to unlock.

Lexus advises to always carry an electronic key in case the digital key doesn't work. I would argue that renders the digital key 100% useless.

Agreed about Tesla - I don't carry the key card anymore.

-nopantz

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%