First Oil Change

suberbielle1

Jun 28, 2023
Media
Baton Rouge
Good morning,
I plan on changing the oil in my GX 550 Luxury at 1,000 miles and would like to get it analyzed. Does anyone have a suggestion on where I can bring an oil sample for analysis? I appreciate any help you can provide.

Debris in the oil for a new engine will likely show up in first oil change of any new engine. I plan to change mine at 1000 miles as well.

While toyota said it was engine debris in their recall, most of the information out there points to not enough clearance in the 1st main bearing. That also just so happens to be the part that was quietly discontinued in Toyotas parts catalogue. It was allegedly replaced in April 2024, before 550’s started being built

Blackstone sent my analysis. Copper was a higher ppm as expected due to the initial break in but otherwise nothing concerning.
Blackstone GX550 Analysis.jpg

I've ordered two Blackstone oil analysis kits because I'd like to see the results from my break-in. I'm looking to change the oil before the 1000mi mark.

This was pretty interesting information here. When do you intend to do your next oil change and do you intend to do at least one more analysis, Blake?

Please teach me about this: For the oil analysis, let's say it comes back with metal shavings (or whatever a bad result is), what do you do next? And if you catch the shavings early is there anything that you can do early to save the engine or is it like the Tundra situation?

Please teach me about this: For the oil analysis, let's say it comes back with metal shavings (or whatever a bad result is), what do you do next? And if you catch the shavings early is there anything that you can do early to save the engine or is it like the Tundra situation?
So my hope is, that'll be what we can determine if more owners perform an oil analysis. The larger the sample, the more we could determine what is 'normal' and the more we could all benefit. These oil analysis tests are relatively inexpensive.

There will be material in the used motor oil - this is expected in the break-in. The reason why so many people opt for an oil change around the 1k mark is because that is the time in which those materials will be present in the largest quantities in the used oil. Subsequent oil analyses at 5k, then 10k should see these impurities drop off substantially as the break-in wear between the engine components should have already occurred.

In the event owners who perform oil analyses see materials present in the used oil significantly above the norm, either early in the break-in or later over more extended use, I think, should give you some documented evidence of a problem. If one had to make a warranty claim, this might be useful information for the dealer to present to Lexus to ease the submittal of the claim.

But at the end of the day, I'm just curious about this subject and I can think of worse ways to spend $30. Lol.

Last edited:
^ for your comparison. I’m gonna do my next analysis at 4000 miles and then at 9000. Probably will do every 10k after that for a while (every 2-3 changes) just out of curiosity.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)