Fly fishing and exploring GX

TFlyfisher

Jul 25, 2024
Media
Virginia
Picked up my OT plus today in Chantilly VA
Coming from a 21 Bronco OBX w AT tires and lux package which was frankly a great car except for HW noise w hard top.

Will be hiking and fishing in the GX in VA and hopefully the MT West.

Likely to upgrade roof rack and need rock rail slider steps ASAP.

IMG_2065.jpeg
IMG_2063.jpeg
IMG_0671.jpeg

Coming from a 21 Bronco OBX w AT tires and lux package which was frankly a great car except for HW noise w hard top.

View attachment 2099View attachment 2100View attachment 2101
Can’t wait to see a rod vault(or whatever brand you have) on one of these!

View attachment 2099View attachment 2100View attachment 2101
Sweet!

I agree, the GX is the perfect fly fishing / exploring vehicle.

I had a modified Rubicon I was using to get to remote fly fishing spots in Colorado and while it’s super capable off-road, the on road experience left a lot to be desired.

Congrats! Been running mine around Colorado rafting/fishing the last couple months and its been great. In Denver but from Fairfax VA, didn't know there was much fly fishing back in VA outside of Mossy Creek and Savage. Enjoy it, its proven great so far! Also not sure on the rod rack... Feels like everyone in Denver has one and I'm not sure they fish enough to warrant it, feels a little try hard to me and I get 30-45+ days a year.

raft.jpg

I think it all depends on how you like to fish. If you are grabbing a few hours after work, having a rod strung up and ready to go is a very nice thing. Or driving between 3 or 4 spots in a day. I have had my eye on one for rafting just to make putting in at the boat ramp that much easier.

Congrats! Been running mine around Colorado rafting/fishing the last couple months and its been great. In Denver but from Fairfax VA, didn't know there was much fly fishing back in VA outside of Mossy Creek and Savage. Enjoy it, its proven great so far! Also not sure on the rod rack... Feels like everyone in Denver has one and I'm not sure they fish enough to warrant it, feels a little try hard to me and I get 30-45+ days a year.

View attachment 2106
If you are running shuttles yourself with 2 people it makes moving the rods so much easier than breaking them down every time, or leaving them unattended. Mine is Riversmith with quick release mounts so I can easily remove the rack and store in my garage when I am not using.

If you are running shuttles yourself with 2 people it makes moving the rods so much easier than breaking them down every time, or leaving them unattended. Mine is Riversmith with quick release mounts so I can easily remove the rack and store in my garage when I am not using.
Also is that a Maravia raft? Looks nice.
Are you considering swapping out your running boards? Any issues off-road or on ramps with the current ones?

what kills me is all the people driving Subaru's in Denver with a rod rack that sticks out 4 feet over their hood. Or the $100k trucks in town that have two rod racks on the roof and the driver has no idea about mayfly life cycles. Might just be worse in Denver than elsewhere in the country where i'm just beat down by posers trying to look cool while driving around town.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)