Aug 9, 2024
Media
USA
Have narrowed our Highlander replacement down to 4 choices:

a new GX550,
Gen 6 4R when avail
Gen 5 4R Limited,
Land Cruiser.

Want full time 4WD and higher clearance than the HL. Expecting a lot of comfy highway miles interrupted by gravel roads after we reach our destination.

So am here to read and learn and look forward to the insights and experience here. Purchase will take place about the end of the year. At least that's the plan. Am flexible.

Love the HL and Siennas. Have never owned a Lexus. Usually incorporate utility and value in the decision, but maybe not this time.

Lack of storage in the LC driver's compartment seems like a downside. Hence the GX550.

Am on the fence about the new hybrid platforms too. Hence the GX550 and Gen5 4R.

Prefer tried and true but the 2400 W inverter in the LC and probably the Gen6 4R has me interested in the other alternatives for powering the house frig during power outages.

The GX has been a pleasant surprise for me. Coming from 25 years of Land Rovers. Major complaints are real-world gas mileage (14-15 for me, same for some, and some people are consistently getting over 20 and I can't figure out why) and gas tank size (21 gallons) and the completely useless fuel gauge that panics when you still have a good 3-4 gallons left in the tank. Another complaint is the beeps and blips from all the safety systems. I know you can turn a lot off but even after 2 full months, I am still needing to consult the manual to see if I need/want Lane Change Assist vs. Lange Change Departure vs. Lane Change Alert vs. Lane Change Warning vs. Lane Change Plans for Tomorrow vs. Lane Change Change Your Lane Deluxe, etc. I think Lexus is playing a joke on me and remotely turning Cross Traffic Alert on every time I shut down the truck. It's supposed to stay off if you turn it off but not on my truck. It has a really annoying series of beeps when you are waiting for cross traffic to clear so you can turn right or left. If the truck even thinks that you may be thinking about pulling out, it goes nuts.

So, minor complaints, this truck is actually really great. I could never love the 4Runners, far too confined on the inside, like driving in a cave. All my trucks have been Land Rover Discovery variants (1996, 2004, 2013 LR4) and those have giant windows and you sit straight up with great visibility. The 4Runner is the opposite. The GX is great, almost as good as the Disoveries.

The GX is also lacking on storage space.

The LC and GX are priced completely differently than the 4 runners.

If your budget is as high as mid to high $70k, then def go with a GX or LC over a 4runner (5 or 6). If the engines are important to you, either 4 runner will be underwhelming compared to the LC or GX. There are multiple youtube videos that discuss the LC and GX engine differences.

If gas mileage is import to you, don’t get any of your choices, as gas is pretty bad in all of them. That being said, i am averaging 17.2 mpg in my 550, and I still love the car.

If tried and true is the most important to you, than maybe you should get the 4runner 5 series.

This is my personal opinion, but I think the bodies of the new 4runners are hideous

Last edited:

a new GX550,
Gen 6 4R when avail
Gen 5 4R Limited,
Land Cruiser.

Want full time 4WD and higher clearance than the HL. Expecting a lot of comfy highway miles interrupted by gravel roads after we reach our destination.

So am here to read and learn and look forward to the insights and experience here. Purchase will take place about the end of the year. At least that's the plan. Am flexible.

Love the HL and Siennas. Have never owned a Lexus. Usually incorporate utility and value in the decision, but maybe not this time.

Lack of storage in the LC driver's compartment seems like a downside. Hence the GX550.

Am on the fence about the new hybrid platforms too. Hence the GX550 and Gen5 4R.

Prefer tried and true but the 2400 W inverter in the LC and probably the Gen6 4R has me interested in the other alternatives for powering the house frig during power outages.
Welcome.

I love my OT+, coming from a completely different experience, X5 M50. We also have a new LR Defender. I have to say my OT+ is my favorite to drive. My only complaints after 3 weeks of owning would definitely be the Mark Levinson system....awful. I haven't had anything fuel efficient in years, so knew what I was getting there. I love the factory roof rack, but it has to come off for highway trips due to the wind noise. All the beeps and dings can be annoying, but easy to manage via setting changes.

a new GX550,
Gen 6 4R when avail
Gen 5 4R Limited,
Land Cruiser.

Welcome to the forum and happy hunting.

Agree with post above about blips and warnings, but if you embrace the tech and spend a good amount of time reading the stuff makes sense. Lots of configurations as well in the OT+. I enjoy the sport+ suspension, steering and engine notes on both on/off ramps. Normal and comfort for highway. The lane tracing, cruise control with traffic assistance is very nice and worked well despite me originally never wanting it. Also, the MTS (multi terrain select) for dirt in 4H did a nice job softening the ride and throttle on forest roads. Very nice seating position to drive with window down and arm on the sill due to the low belt line. Viewing out the glass is great for sight seeing on trips for driver and passenger. Limited cubbies on GX, but cup holders are great and out of the way. Highway milage can be 20-23mpg we've noted. City is maybe lower than some would like, but cruising was great at 70 mph. We run a fridge and I don't like that the outlet is only operational when all the accessories are on. We'll be hard wiring a 12v plug some day. Cruising with windows down and sun roof open is very enjoyable. Power of the V6 is super nice and comes in very low. Not much need to push more than 3k RPM unless having fun. The turbo boost is usually not even registering on the boost gauge unless getting in it. That may help with the longevity of the setup seeing there is little to no boost pressure on a daily drive. I think the LC spools up a bit more. Also the 10spd auto is setup fantastic for driving and doesn't feel uncomfortable finding the proper gear and will help hold speed on down hills minimizing breaking. Hope some of this helps. Good luck.

Well, I love everything about my OT, other than the wind noise from the roof rack. It's super sporty and soft and the same time. I don't really care about the gas milage since I came from a GMC 2500 HD and I wanted the pep of the GX. I've had Tundras, 4Runners and Tacos. This is my favorite.

Well, I love everything about my OT, other than the wind noise from the roof rack. It's super sporty and soft and the same time. I don't really care about the gas milage since I came from a GMC 2500 HD and I wanted the pep of the GX. I've had Tundras, 4Runners and Tacos. This is my favorite.
Exact same response here! I love my OT+, without the rack....though I am pushing through because it looks so good. ha! I came from a X5M and this is like a dream ride for me now, on and off highway. It seems so much more solid than our '23 Defender as well.

Update from me, the OP. The folks on this forum and the LC forum have been a big help. The short list has narrowed between the GX550 OT and the LC FE if I buy this year. GX550 Overtrail is on top now after seeing the braking performance difference between the GX and the LC. And some other factors. I found my fave color nearby and want to go look see as soon as I can get a day off.

The Gen 5 4Runner dropped off the list due to so-so crash test scores by iihs. Crash testing of the GX and the LC are anticipated to be pretty good when they are tested. Soon I hope. I think I would risk it if I could get into an available GX OT before iihs tests.

One thing I still haven't found out is if I can get the GX roof wrapped in a light color. I suspect you can wrap anything on a car exterior. I won't tolerate a black exterior on a car I'm going to camp in and keep musical instruments in. Therefore, might end up with my second color choice...... white. Lots of advantages with white and doesn't display sage brush pin stripes as starkly.

Making progress and I appreciate everyone's insight.

Update from me, the OP. The folks on this forum and the LC forum have been a big help. The short list has narrowed between the GX550 OT and the LC FE if I buy this year. GX550 Overtrail is on top now after seeing the braking performance difference between the GX and the LC. And some other factors. I found my fave color nearby and want to go look see as soon as I can get a day off.

The Gen 5 4Runner dropped off the list due to so-so crash test scores by iihs. Crash testing of the GX and the LC are anticipated to be pretty good when they are tested. Soon I hope. I think I would risk it if I could get into an available GX OT before iihs tests.

One thing I still haven't found out is if I can get the GX roof wrapped in a light color. I suspect you can wrap anything on a car exterior. I won't tolerate a black exterior on a car I'm going to camp in and keep musical instruments in. Therefore, might end up with my second color choice...... white. Lots of advantages with white and doesn't display sage brush pin stripes as starkly.

Making progress and I appreciate everyone's insight.
I bought an Eminent White Pearl GX550 OT+ because that's all I could get my hands on months ago. I had the entire car cover changed to a slightly lighter matte color than the Incognito + changed the roof to glossy black. I also got (very cheap) trim replacements for that trim line just below the roofline. I changed that from gloss black to the matte grey that comes on some color combos. It was very easy, is fully protected and looks more like what I wanted.

I bought an Eminent White Pearl GX550 OT+ because that's all I could get my hands on months ago. I had the entire car cover changed to a slightly lighter matte color than the Incognito + changed the roof to glossy black. I also got (very cheap) trim replacements for that trim line just below the roofline. I changed that from gloss black to the matte grey that comes on some color combos. It was very easy, is fully protected and looks more like what I wanted.
Any detail pics you could post?

Any detail pics you could post?

The stone grey color reads more white in these than in person.

IMG_3116.jpeg
IMG_3045.jpeg

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+