HUD / Turn by turn

hciing

Jul 20, 2024
San Diego
Hello all! For the life of me, I can’t figure out how to get turn by turn working on the HUD! It seems like our GX550 HUD layout is somewhat different than other Lexus products? If somebody here with a 550 knows how to get it working, can you please share how it works? I don’t believe our HUD supports a tach nor a compass display that switches to turn by turn navigation? Thanks!

Just to make sure, have you tried going to Settings->Vehicle customize->Head Up Display on the infotainment screen and setting "Display customization" to "Full"?

Just to make sure, have you tried going to Settings->Vehicle customize->Head Up Display on the infotainment screen and setting "Display customization" to "Full"?
it’s in full mode. No compass read out. I went on a drive today without my phone and using only Lexus nav and still nothing. Turn by turn will show on my dash (compass turn into direction) but still not on HUD.

it’s in full mode. No compass read out. I went on a drive today without my phone and using only Lexus nav and still nothing. Turn by turn will show on my dash (compass turn into direction) but still not on HUD.
That's too bad. I figured Lexus would have made the GX HUD like the HUD in their other vehicles. Hopefully a software update would be able to fix that. I was looking forward to having the turn show up in my HUD when I get my GX, but it sounds like it doesn't do that.

FWIW I was pleasantly surprised to realize that apple maps direction prompts through CarPlay show up on the HUD. It was something I was really hoping it would do but was betting it would only work with the Lexus built in Nav, but it does in fact work with CarPlay. I do have my HUD settings set to full, but it sounds like you do too. Maybe try it with CarPlay/android auto navigation going and see if at least pops up that way.

FWIW I was pleasantly surprised to realize that apple maps direction prompts through CarPlay show up on the HUD. It was something I was really hoping it would do but was betting it would only work with the Lexus built in Nav, but it does in fact work with CarPlay. I do have my HUD settings set to full, but it sounds like you do too. Maybe try it with CarPlay/android auto navigation going and see if at least pops up that way.
So it sounds like turn by turn for the Lexus built in nav does show up in the HUD along with CarPlay turn by turn. That's good to hear.

@hciing have you played with the HUD positioning in the Settings->Vehicle customize->Head Up Display to make sure you're seeing all of the HUD? It's a long shot but I thought I would throw it out there.

So it sounds like turn by turn for the Lexus built in nav does show up in the HUD along with CarPlay turn by turn. That's good to hear.

@hciing have you played with the HUD positioning in the Settings->Vehicle customize->Head Up Display to make sure you're seeing all of the HUD? It's a long shot but I thought I would throw it out there.
Sure did! Not sure how much more I can do… reading the owners manual doesn’t add much value either.

I figured it out. In order for turn by turn to show on the HUD. You can’t have the map enabled in the driver display (gauge cluster area). Selecting map off enables turn by turn in HUD. Stupid design.

I figured it out. In order for turn by turn to show on the HUD. You can’t have the map enabled in the driver display (gauge cluster area). Selecting map off enables turn by turn in HUD. Stupid design.
Thanks for sharing the solution. And I agree, that is a stupid design.

@hciing - question for you, if you have the Nav enabled on, say, the 1st dash display page but you're currently viewing the 2nd dash page without the Nav enabled, does the Nav show up in your HUD? At least then it would be easy to switch your dash display back and forth to have the Nav in either the dash display or the HUD.

@hciing - question for you, if you have the Nav enabled on, say, the 1st dash display page but you're currently viewing the 2nd dash page without the Nav enabled, does the Nav show up in your HUD? At least then it would be easy to switch your dash display back and forth to have the Nav in either the dash display or the HUD.
Based on my testing, yes. You can switch between the 3 pages of presets and your HUD will update accordingly. It all depends on if you have Map in your current active layout.

HUD layout will also change to show tach if you turn off a multitude of driving assistance features.

Reactions: JPE
Based on my testing, yes. You can switch between the 3 pages of presets and your HUD will update accordingly. It all depends on if you have Map in your current active layout.

HUD layout will also change to show tach if you turn off a multitude of driving assistance features.
Thanks - that's useful to know. I can certainly see situations where the functionality of switching between dash display presets to get the Nav info up on the HUD will come into play.

Thanks - that's useful to know. I can certainly see situations where the functionality of switching between dash display presets to get the Nav info up on the HUD will come into play.
Absolutely. I still can’t think of a reason why it must be separated like this. The implementation of HUD is definitely better on our X5 than on the GX.

Absolutely. I still can’t think of a reason why it must be separated like this. The implementation of HUD is definitely better on our X5 than on the GX.
Agreed - I got used to the excellent HUD on my wife's X5 so it will be disappointing to not get that excellent functionality on the GX, but it's better than no HUD. :)

Also confirming you can switch between your configured displays on the MID on the dash between a view that has the Map enabled or not enabled the HUD responds by displaying the turn by turn info on the HUD. That's what I ended up doing, I have my daily preferred view setup with no map, and the map directions display in my HUD when I turn on directions in Apple Maps in CarPlay. Then I have a sort of road trip view with some more detailed long drive info and a map view for those longer trips where I want to track MPG and mileage and such.

Note that it works with the native nav or Car play. It doesn't work with Android (tried both and confirmed with dealer)

Yea BMW definitely integrates modern tech the best. I drive 7 was fantastic. I drive 8 feels like a step backwards.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comfort

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Normal

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)