Milage Until Empty

Tallmadge41

Sep 13, 2024
Michigan
Does anyone know the trick for resetting the milage until empty. I will drive until and get down to about 20 estimated miles left until empty. But when I fill up, I only can squeeze in 17 gallons. I would like to get the estimated miles left accurate to represent the 21-gallon capacity. My MPG is around 20.2 when I filled up. I have 2000 miles so far and I thought it might have fixed itself but not yet…

Based on my fill ups, believe there should be about 3.5 -4 gallons once the light goes on. We had our meter noting 43 miles left (avg was 19.4) and the tank took 15 gallons at the fill up. I don't think there is a way to change the setting unless you get into the code for the software.

Last edited:
If it's anything like my Tacoma and other Toyotas the DTE is very conservative. It calculates based on your recent MPG and how much fuel is remaining. I frequently drive ~30 miles after DTE reaches 0 in the Tacoma.

Our 80 Series light turns on with 5 gallons left. Good for about 60-70 miles @ 12-14 mpg. Guessing GX has a similar reserve of 60-70 miles @ 15-17 mpg.

I just checked my log and my max was driving 337 miles, the dte said 12 miles remaining, and I was able to put 18.088 gallons into the tank. For that tank I calculated 18.63mpg, so with 3 gallons remaining I should have had about 50 theoretical miles. But I have read in some posts that the fuel pickup in the tank can be damaged if it gets too low and could also result in an issue if the vehicle is not level. So I think the reserve just helps to avoid a stranded GX owner complaining that "it said I still had 3 miles range when it stalled out going up this steep incline", or something like that.

Last edited:
What if Miles to Empty meant you'd be empty at 0!! Does that make too much sense. That is the way it should be. When my luxury plus gx550 hits zero, I still have 4 gallons in the tank!!! That is just silly.

Our RAV4Prime has this issue and drives me crazy on road trips. It goes to 0 with over 3 gallons left. Especially annoying because my wife then starts getting anxious... I wish there was an aftermarket solution or you know Toyota/Lexus treated us like adults who don't need a 100 mile buffer.

Latest Discussions

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 9 69.2%
Back