Self Driving

Thank you ... I have a Tesla X now and couldn't live without it... Makes those highway drives much easier - and yes, all these systems should be fully hands free like GM's Supercruise.

I just got back from a 10-day road trip with mostly highway driving and some light offroad exploration. I used the steering assistance with the adaptive cruise control for almost the entire highway component. The steering and cruise control made a huge difference.

However, the steering assistance is best on highways with gentle curves. On side roads with sharp curves, the system periodically fails, requiring you to be attentive. I also found that certain lane markings caused the truck to be a little off center in the lane. I can't remember the exact combination of lane markings resulting in this. I think it might have been a double yellow line on one side and a white line on the other.

One other slight annoyance was the way the adaptive cruise control handled acceleration after strong slowdowns. Even after I changed the acceleration in the settings to the max, it was too slow many times on the highway, causing other vehicles to think I wasn't keeping up and to pass me.

Overall, I give the system a 7. Definitely a good system that makes highway driving much better. But I expect Toyota/Lexus will refine it with software updates. Hoping it will get to an 8.5 or 9 in the next year or two.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)