Sun roof vibrates

Mar 3, 2024
Media
Silverdale wa
Got a luxury + about 200 miles on it. Vehicle has been great, but I think I may have an issue with the sun roof vibration at slower speeds around 30mph.

I will be driving on secondary paved roads and it sounds like a background buzz, I thought first it was from the radio but I felt the sunroof and when I heard the noise I felt the sun roof vibrate.

It’s weird does not happen all the time depends on speed and the road. On the highway no issue.

I am running my tires about 35 psi. I was wondering if perhaps I have a tire out of balance? Maybe the crappy dunlops are the issue.

I checked my roof rack it seems tight, nothing loose.

Strange that it is not constant.

Anybody with a lux + ever notice this?

We have a luxury + with the roof cross rails. From my research that is what is causing my road noise. The roof rack/rails could be causing more air to be pushed under it possibly causing the vibrations? I haven't noticed the vibration on ours, just noise.

Just removed my roof rails using the tool that my dealer provided and the instructions. Pretty easy four half covers to remove along with four star head bolts, took about 10 minutes. My dealer also included the covers that install in the space where the roof rack was. Looks nice and clean.

Time for a test drive to see if the vibration is gone.

Just went out for a drive, no more vibrations, felt the panoramic glass not vibrating as was before. Drove different speeds secondary road and highway, no problems encountered.

Cabin is nice and quiet. I like the smooth roof.

Looks great! I was looking at the cross rails, not very aerodynamically designed, I figured that the lead and trailing edges should come down to a thin edge kind of like a wing shape. The blocky design is not good for airflow. I wonder if Lexus even knows that this is happening.

I never use roof racks, if I had my choice I would have not had them at all.

I wonder if this happens to the OT trims as well or if it’s just the lux/prem packages with the thin profile side rails?

I wanted a rack but not sure if it will compromise noise this much.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comfort

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Normal

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)