Trade in LC for GX 550 OT?

joey.green

Sep 29, 2024
Texas
I bought my LC/LC 2 months ago and have put 2k miles on it. I was really torn between the LC and GX at the time and went ahead and went with the LC because of availability. I'm thinking of trading it in and getting the GX 550? I'm not sure how upside down I would be but if it's like less than 5k than I may do it. I'm starting to see the GX OT on the road and am very envious.

The reason why I'm considering this is because the main reason I went with the LC, besides availability is gas mileage. My average is 19.4 after 2k miles. I don't think that is very significant advantage over the OT.

I want the vehicle I keep to last 10 years if possible.

Thoughts?

I bet you won't lose much trading in the LC - see what they'll give you for it. If they are being stingy, maybe try selling it private party and realize some of the purchaser's tax savings in your selling price.

I decided on the OT+ after considering the LC/LC. All 3 Toyota dealerships in my town are marking up all LC’s by $1500-$2500 which put the LC/LC close to $74k (with the Java brown leather package). For $7- 10K more depending on options, I concluded that the Lexus OT+ would be worth it. The better engine, higher end materials, better suspension, and the chiseled, storm trooper front design had me sold. This will be my first Lexus. Hope that helps with your thinking.

If you can find one without a markup you may be able to make something happen seeing the dealer would likely not have an issue selling it. I've been starting to hear about lower than expected milage from the LC turbo 4 hybrid setup. There are a few lower than planned mpg GX owners as well. Think it's stop and go town/city drives that hurt. Read up on the forum here and to get some insight. We get 19+, but not in stop and go situations. Highway can be 21-23 if you're easy and limited climbing. I like the storm trooper reference.

You are posting on a GX forum, everyone is going recommend the GX550 :)

Although, not an Overtrail, we had our Premium Plus for just over a week, put in 900 miles, averaging 18.6 mpg. Highway driving averages 20-21 mpg and this is with the OEM platform rack installed. Drove up mountain passes and really like the torque it puts out. Engine is well mated to the 10 speed transmission. We also cross shopped LC250 but have zero regrets going with our GX550.

Just note if you go for the Overtrail version, you will lose the separate rear AC controls. The AC vents are located near the center footwell. not overhead vents like in your LC250. Might or might not be important to you depending if you have rear passengers or pets

Yes, the absence of overhead rear AC vents in my Overtrail was a very disappointing surprise. It is an important issue here in the Phoenix area as it makes a major difference for back-seat comfort (I have 2 young boys strapped in back there).

Latest Discussions

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 19 63.3%
Back