Trailer Brake Controller

Chic McNug

Sep 26, 2024
Arizona
Didn't see this covered elsewhere so apologize if it has been. 2016 GX460 owner here. Owner’s manual (p. 562) states unbraked trailer maximum weight is 1000 lbs. Since my trailer weight was about 2300 lbs., and we have mountain grades on most roads we drive, I installed a Curt 'Assure 51160' trailer brake controller. The Assure worked for nine months then quit. Curt was kind enough to replace it for free with their updated version, the 'Spectrum 51170'. The Spectrum didn't work at all--no calibration lights, nothing, except it did keep the vehicle brake lights on all the time and required starting the vehicle twice upon installation but the vehicle seemed fine after a second key crank. In communications with Curt, they stated their controller was fine and the issue was likely a wiring problem in the vehicle. Maybe, but I know it's not a wiring issue on the trailer since my other vehicle, using a Tekonsha brake controller, has no issues. Curt then sent a second Spectrum and upon installation I noticed the computer screen state it was 'reloading', apparently meaning the vehicle's computer code was being amended to accommodate the controller. Immediately after installation of the second Spectrum, brake pedal pressure required to stop was much increased. So much so that we had our local shop look at the brakes. Their diagnosis was the electronic control system had several communication and power faults, essentially meaning the electronic power braking assist function was compromised. Can't unequivocally say the Curt controller caused the problem but as stated above, braking assist not functioning properly began immediately after installation.

Anyway, if you own this vehicle and use a trailer brake controller, which brand/model do you use?

Thanks

Before the GX 550 with built in brake controller, I used this one for many years. Easy to move between tow vehicles.

Thanks for reminding me about this one. Actually tried it before trying the hardwired versions. One problem with this type is the receptacle on my Lexus is at a downward angle. A short bungee could secure the controller to the receptacle but I'd worry about the controller being close to the ground, especially off road.

Thanks for reminding me about this one. Actually tried it before trying the hardwired versions. One problem with this type is the receptacle on my Lexus is at a downward angle. A short bungee could secure the controller to the receptacle but I'd worry about the controller being close to the ground, especially off road.
In Australia we use the redarc brake controller, v3 Towpro elite is the best:

Not sure if you get that stateside.

In Australia we use the redarc brake controller, v3 Towpro elite is the best:

Not sure if you get that stateside.

Looks like it’s available in the US. Do you use this on a 2016 Lexus GX460?

Thanks

Looks like it’s available in the US. Do you use this on a 2016 Lexus GX460?

Thanks
None I installed it on my BMW X4 M40i and it worked really well, had to fix the dial in the small pull out draw on the drivers side so it did not ruin the beautiful flow of the dash and just set to auto. 😀👍

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 19 63.3%
Back