Acceleration / throttle delay

BC/DC

Jul 5, 2024
San Diego
Picked up a new Overtrail last week, so far pretty much everything I am liking about this truck. I am noticing a slight delay in acceleration from a dead stop and even a rolling stop. Has anyone else experienced this?

When i step on the gas like say after the light turns green- it just takes a second before the truck responds and starts to move. Starting to get kind of annoying because I feel myself constantly paying attention to it now.

Do you have brake hold and/or eco drive mode enabled?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 3.31.31 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 3.31.31 PM.png
    270.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 3.32.13 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 3.32.13 PM.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 94
Picked up a new Overtrail last week, so far pretty much everything I am liking about this truck. I am noticing a slight delay in acceleration from a dead stop and even a rolling stop. Has anyone else experienced this?

When i step on the gas like say after the light turns green- it just takes a second before the truck responds and starts to move. Starting to get kind of annoying because I feel myself constantly paying attention to it now.
I think I have heard about this form some YouTube reviews. Speculation is it’s Lexus trying to save you from yourself in terms of fuel economy by feathering the throttle off the line.

Update- Did not have the brake hold or Eco mode enabled.

So I did some experimenting with all the various driving settings this morning and the delay is A LOT less noticeable when Sport S mode is activated.

When transmission is in Manual mode and vehicle is at a complete stop and physically in 1st gear, the Acceleration delay is non existent after accelerating.

Put it back in "Normal" drive mode and when I start to roll on the throttle from a dead stop I still notice slight hesitation, as I continue to roll on the throttle it kind of feels like the tranny downshifts and then quickly accelerates. This delivers a kind of jerky uncontrolled feedback. Not sure where to really go from here except keep driving it and breaking this machine in. I will bring it up to Lexus when i go in for my 1st scheduled maintenance.

I think I have heard about this form some YouTube reviews. Speculation is it’s Lexus trying to save you from yourself in terms of fuel economy by feathering the throttle off the line.
That's why my 4Runner has a Pedal Commander. Will have to see if my GX will need one too.

Update- Did not have the brake hold or Eco mode enabled.

So I did some experimenting with all the various driving settings this morning and the delay is A LOT less noticeable when Sport S mode is activated.

When transmission is in Manual mode and vehicle is at a complete stop and physically in 1st gear, the Acceleration delay is non existent after accelerating.

Put it back in "Normal" drive mode and when I start to roll on the throttle from a dead stop I still notice slight hesitation, as I continue to roll on the throttle it kind of feels like the tranny downshifts and then quickly accelerates. This delivers a kind of jerky uncontrolled feedback. Not sure where to really go from here except keep driving it and breaking this machine in. I will bring it up to Lexus when i go in for my 1st scheduled maintenance.
My experience and I've mentioned it on earlier threads is my engine/transmision works flawlessly in normal mode. The 10 speed setup had me a bit concerned however the Direct Shift engineering has surprised me with quick gear selection when accelerating. I have felt the downshifts when coasting but no issues otherwise.
My suggestion is not to wait for the first service and take it in immediatly. You should have a great experience driving your brand new SUV and no concerns otherwise.
Good Luck

Last edited:
Mine does this as well. I had it checked and found nothing at the dealer. They said it’s performing normally. I do find that when in normal it puts itself into eco mode when it wants to. Is this normal? I’d rather it didn’t lol. I was aware of the garbage gas mileage when purchasing hahah.

Mine does this as well. I had it checked and found nothing at the dealer. They said it’s performing normally. I do find that when in normal it puts itself into eco mode when it wants to. Is this normal? I’d rather it didn’t lol. I was aware of the garbage gas mileage when purchasing hahah.
I noticed when in normal and Sport S mode I would glance down and see a green eco indicator on... I'm like what? I'm supposed to be burning fuel and hurting the environment!? haha still noticeably much different to drive in the Sport modes.

I will say that this rig has Way too many sensors, indicators, buffers, and saftey modes.. even when I turn off/manually de-select parking assist, cross traffic warning, driving assist etc.. the vehicle still finds a way to turn most of the safety parameters back on for itself.:unsure:

The eco light on the dash is different than “eco” mode. My NX does the same thing.

To my understanding it doesn’t mean anything other than an attaboy that you aren’t too deep into the throttle at that second.

The eco light on the dash is different than “eco” mode. My NX does the same thing.

To my understanding it doesn’t mean anything other than an attaboy that you aren’t too deep into the throttle at that second.
Well then, when I eventually get my GX I'll make it my mission to see how long I can keep that eco light unlit! Kind of like my mission to set the "high score" whenever I pass those mobile radar signs that show the speed limit vs. how fast you're going. :D

FYI....
You can turn off the "eco" green car indicator by going to the Vehicle customize section in the MID and then go under METER setting ... there is an ECO INDICATOR setting to turn it off. IMO it was annoying and useless information.

I’m gonna be heartbroken if there is hesitation off the line…still waiting for my OT. My wife’s Q5 does this and I freaking hate. Same deal where only manual mode and keeping it in 1st stops it in her car. It’s basically a terrible granny gear.

I really hope that’s not the norm for the GX tranny or it’s gonna be a no go for me when I test drive it. Supposed to be delivered 7/14.

Interesting feedback. I haven't driven one yet, but ours is expected to be here in a week or so.

We currently have two Porsche Cayennes. My wife has the base version, but the newest iteration, and I have the previous version in the S E-hybrid.

My wife's car lags off the line. Drives me nuts. You step on the throttle, and it takes about 1.5 seconds for it to wake up, then it goes like balls to the wall. And we always keep the engine start/stop mode disabled.

My older Cayenne feels instantaneous. But it is the hybrid so the battery helps get the party started sooner. But I feel like it's also a throttle response programming thing. My guess is newer vehicles are building this delay to try and get better MPG.

The solution is in my wife's Cayenne is to always have Sport mode enabled. Only downside to this is it keeps higher revs throughout the entire drive. So once cruising along the highway, it feels like it's always down one gear.

From all the Youtube reviews I've watched, it seems everyone is really impressed by the GX's acceleration off the line. Hope that's the case.

Reactions: JPE
Interesting feedback. I haven't driven one yet, but ours is expected to be here in a week or so.

We currently have two Porsche Cayennes. My wife has the base version, but the newest iteration, and I have the previous version in the S E-hybrid.

My wife's car lags off the line. Drives me nuts. You step on the throttle, and it takes about 1.5 seconds for it to wake up, then it goes like balls to the wall. And we always keep the engine start/stop mode disabled.

My older Cayenne feels instantaneous. But it is the hybrid so the battery helps get the party started sooner. But I feel like it's also a throttle response programming thing. My guess is newer vehicles are building this delay to try and get better MPG.

The solution is in my wife's Cayenne is to always have Sport mode enabled. Only downside to this is it keeps higher revs throughout the entire drive. So once cruising along the highway, it feels like it's always down one gear.

From all the Youtube reviews I've watched, it seems everyone is really impressed by the GX's acceleration off the line. Hope that's the case.
I do wonder if part of the delay that folks here are experiencing (and maybe the delay in your wife's Cayenne 🤷‍♂️) is, like you said, the throttle position map for MPG/emissions. I have a tendency to floor the throttle pedal when accelerating from a stop. And I'm not talking about slowly putting it to the floor, I push the pedal to the floor in about 0.1 seconds or maybe even a little less. Basically as fast as I can press the throttle down to the floor. I know a lot of people who gently feed in throttle, but that's not me. I did not experience any delay in takeoff when I test drove the new GX Overtrail at my dealer two weekends ago.

We went in to our dealer yesterday to look at exterior & interior colors, after 9 GX's showed up early morning. All were spoken for, so we still haven't driven one, still haven't sat in the seats, even.

The throttle delay is pretty prominent in a couple of the new twin turbo V6 non-hybrid very low mile Tundra's that I've driven, though it seems not EVERY Tundra has that issue. I don't know if that is part of the adaptive programming and customer break-in, or what, but one of the Tundra's I drove, with about 1200 miles on it, was so bad that I thought I was going to get hit by oncoming traffic because the damn thing just would not get up and go for WAY too long. My little 2.3L Inline 4 Turbo does NOT have anywhere NEAR the delay I experienced in the Tundra's. I really hope that same delay has not been programmed into the GX V6, because if so, I may end up having a very hard time pulling the trigger - that's how BAD the Tundra felt to me. It actually seems like a HUGE safety issue, in my opinion.

We went in to our dealer yesterday to look at exterior & interior colors, after 9 GX's showed up early morning. All were spoken for, so we still haven't driven one, still haven't sat in the seats, even.

The throttle delay is pretty prominent in a couple of the new twin turbo V6 non-hybrid very low mile Tundra's that I've driven, though it seems not EVERY Tundra has that issue. I don't know if that is part of the adaptive programming and customer break-in, or what, but one of the Tundra's I drove, with about 1200 miles on it, was so bad that I thought I was going to get hit by oncoming traffic because the damn thing just would not get up and go for WAY too long. My little 2.3L Inline 4 Turbo does NOT have anywhere NEAR the delay I experienced in the Tundra's. I really hope that same delay has not been programmed into the GX V6, because if so, I may end up having a very hard time pulling the trigger - that's how BAD the Tundra felt to me. It actually seems like a HUGE safety issue, in my opinion.
Yep I feel it’s a Saftey issue as well. From my recent research it seems like A LOT of new vehicles have this throttle lag / delay built in.

When in Sport S mode it’s barely noticeable if anything at all. I think the Pedal Commander may be in my future.

I have an appointment set for this Saturday morning and I plan on going for a test drive.. so I’ll update on here when complete and what the dealer feeds me. 😅

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)