Acceleration / throttle delay

What’s the Pedal Commander?
From their website. I pulled this for the LS because they do not show one for the GX550 yet.

"Pedal Commander is a little device that connects to Lexus LS 's accelerator gas pedal with OEM factory Plugs to Improve Throttle Response. Which modern vehicles are often having a delay between pressing the accelerator pedal and the engine responding. This delay, known as throttle lag, can be frustrating, especially in situations where immediate acceleration is needed. A Pedal Commander significantly reduces this lag, providing a more responsive and engaging driving experience."

Picked up a new Overtrail last week, so far pretty much everything I am liking about this truck. I am noticing a slight delay in acceleration from a dead stop and even a rolling stop. Has anyone else experienced this?

When i step on the gas like say after the light turns green- it just takes a second before the truck responds and starts to move. Starting to get kind of annoying because I feel myself constantly paying attention to it now.
You are experiencing Turbo lag, Lexus has smaller turbos which is suppose to reduce the lag but you still have turbos. Try sport mode, and I don't believe the gx offers a launch mode, its not a dragster.

From their website. I pulled this for the LS because they do not show one for the GX550 yet.

"Pedal Commander is a little device that connects to Lexus LS 's accelerator gas pedal with OEM factory Plugs to Improve Throttle Response. Which modern vehicles are often having a delay between pressing the accelerator pedal and the engine responding. This delay, known as throttle lag, can be frustrating, especially in situations where immediate acceleration is needed. A Pedal Commander significantly reduces this lag, providing a more responsive and engaging driving experience."
Thank you! This sounds like a cool little device and I might just need to get one for my wife’s Q5 if they make one.

I first noticed this in my OT+ while almost getting rear ended the other day. I switched lanes and punched the gas…. Nothing…. Nothing…. Finally acceleration. I’m taking it in for service next week and every week after if they don’t have a solution.

My impression after owning the truck 1 week: Really not loving it for the price. I wish I had saved myself a lot of money and gotten something else used. If you’ve got money to burn, then go for it.

And there’s the turbo lag thing. Lexus has put smaller turbos in the GX to (reduce) the turbo lag but never the less there is still some. Turbos Do not just turn on like a light switch, they need to wind up to obtain full power. The one issue with an underpowered engine being boosted to compensate for the lack of displacement. But it sounds like Lexus is doing everything they can to improve MPG’s unfortunately at the expense of your driving experience. Bring back the V8 naturally aspirated.
PLEASE!

And there’s the turbo lag thing. Lexus has put smaller turbos in the GX to (reduce) the turbo lag but never the less there is still some. Turbos Do not just turn on like a light switch, they need to wind up to obtain full power. The one issue with an underpowered engine being boosted to compensate for the lack of displacement. But it sounds like Lexus is doing everything they can to improve MPG’s unfortunately at the expense of your driving experience. Bring back the V8 naturally aspirated.
PLEASE!

Lexus is NOT trying to improve MPG, because they really haven’t from the previous engine.

All Lexus is trying to do is not get the crap fined out of them by the EPA for emissions standards (just like all the other manufacturers).

If you want a V8 nowadays, you have to purchase engines that have a whole host of complex engine issues, like GM/Cadillacs’ AFM engine systems that make the engines fail prematurely.

Lexus is NOT trying to improve MPG, because they really haven’t from the previous engine.

All Lexus is trying to do is not get the crap fined out of them by the EPA for emissions standards (just like all the other manufacturers).

If you want a V8 nowadays, you have to purchase engines that have a whole host of complex engine issues, like GM/Cadillacs’ AFM engine systems that make the engines fail prematurely.
I’m all for fuel efficiency, but between the EPA and safety standards they want to have their cake and eat it too. I drove and 1986 Camry well into the 200ks on the ODO and still averaged 27 mpg around town, 33 on the highway. 40 years later doesn’t seem like we’ve made much progress. Bigger, heavier cars with more expensive complicated engines just to achieve the same fuel economy.

I first noticed this in my OT+ while almost getting rear ended the other day. I switched lanes and punched the gas…. Nothing…. Nothing…. Finally acceleration. I’m taking it in for service next week and every week after if they don’t have a solution.

My impression after owning the truck 1 week: Really not loving it for the price. I wish I had saved myself a lot of money and gotten something else used. If you’ve got money to burn, then go for it.
You can probably get what you paid or even more for it if you sell it now….that way you can get something that you like if it’s that disappointing. Not worth being frustrated every time you drive the vehicle.

You can probably get what you paid or even more for it if you sell it now….that way you can get something that you like if it’s that disappointing. Not worth being frustrated every time you drive the vehicle.
Yes indeed. JustinB could make a profit on his used 550. Market for used OT is $87k and OT+ is $97k

I’m all for fuel efficiency, but between the EPA and safety standards they want to have their cake and eat it too. I drove and 1986 Camry well into the 200ks on the ODO and still averaged 27 mpg around town, 33 on the highway. 40 years later doesn’t seem like we’ve made much progress. Bigger, heavier cars with more expensive complicated engines just to achieve the same fuel economy.
1986 Toyota Camry....

2-liter inline 4
92 HP / 113 lb-ft
2620 lbs

Not much of a comparison!!!

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 1 6.7%