Auxiliary or Larger Gas Tank

Definitely YES, get lots of support for this feature. Gas tank is way too small. Double Jerry can (2x5gal) at a minimum. It looks like Prinsu makes a can that locks to their roof rack. I want to find one that can attach to the standard Overtrail Roof Rails.

Definitely YES, get lots of support for this feature. Gas tank is way too small. Double Jerry can (2x5gal) at a minimum. It looks like Prinsu makes a can that locks to their roof rack. I want to find one that can attach to the standard Overtrail Roof Rails.
Check out Rotopax, I plan to mount two to my premium plus with the Lexus roof rack. Mounting is simple and bolts into the inner channels of the cross bars.

I sure if enough people inquire to Long Range America, and they can get someone to donate their vehicle for some time so they can protype it, they will make a large capacity tank.

21 gallons is not optimal but is carrying 10 gallons of gas on the outside of a 550 practical? Hopefully, someone will figure out replacement tank solution that will give us at least 26 gallons. That said, this is not an EV and having access to a gas station is always available. Yes, the 21 gallon tank will require more frequent refills however, we are talking 5 minutes to fill up and go from near anywhere in the USA....

21 gallons is not optimal but is carrying 10 gallons of gas on the outside of a 550 practical? Hopefully, someone will figure out replacement tank solution that will give us at least 26 gallons. That said, this is not an EV and having access to a gas station is always available. Yes, the 21 gallon tank will require more frequent refills however, we are talking 5 minutes to fill up and go from near anywhere in the USA....
I'm with you. Going to treat this just like all of my other cars. Goes empty, fill it up.

I added an auxiliary fuel tank to my 80 series Land Cruiser and like it. It required moving the spare tire, a rear bumper to hold the tire, a fuel gauge/switch to power the pump and a new filler neck. A lot of work but it has been in for many years and still functions well. I can carry enough fuel to turn it into a really long range vehicle. A description of my vehicle install is here Man-A-Fre 24 gallon auxilliary tank

I think with the the GX550, I might be hesitant to do it until the warranty is over. If an engine issue ever came up, they will blame it on the fuel tank.

I’d appreciate knowing if you find one that works with OEM roof rack.

I know there have been auxiliary tanks made by Off Road Manufacturers for earlier GX's. Does anyone know of any planned ? A 21 gallon tank is just too small and this may be a good after market product.
At 17 est mpg, why does full 21g tank indicate range of 265mi? That would suggest 12mpg. Sorry, am I missing something?

I emailed Long Range America yesterday asking about a possible tank for the GX550. This is the response I got back.

Michael, We haven't undertaken this tank project yet. But, it is on our todo list for Q4 of this year.
Awesome, I really hope they can squeeze in another 5+ gallons. Anther 9 gallons bring us to 30 would be awesome but probably not achievable.

On my last full up I had driven 337 miles, it showed my range to empty was 8 miles, and I was able to put in 18gal after 4 clicks of the pump. It stopped at about 17 and I was able to get it up to just over 18. That means it still had about 3 gallons in reserve

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240813_123942.jpg
    Screenshot_20240813_123942.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 22

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S