Auxiliary or Larger Gas Tank

Spoke with a rep at Long range America. He said they manufacture in Australia and the GX will show up soon there. At that time he thinks they will make an "Auxiliary" tank with a transfer pump. There will be switch and a gauge for the extra tank's level. When the main tank gets low the driver switches on the pump to fill the AUX tank. The reason for this clunky fix is because Toyota will not allow even their master tech's to mess with the ECM to allow a new volume of gasoline to be recognized.

It will likely be pretty similar to the build of my 80 series with their tank, which was imported by Man-A-Fre. That required removal of the spare tire and its repositioning. This link is to the placement on my 80 series LC.

An aux tank with a transfer pump and twin filler necks in the same opening is perfect. I've heard nightmare stories about trying to replace the actual OEM tank and then having to deal with computers, emissions controls, etc.

rgsiii, I see on your ih8mud thread that you mentioned that it takes about 20 minutes to transfer the fuel from aux to main. Can you do this while driving?

rgsiii, I see on your ih8mud thread that you mentioned that it takes about 20 minutes to transfer the fuel from aux to main. Can you do this while driving?
I can't remember what type fuel pump used was back then. The inexpensive one that I replaced it with isfairly slow but keeps well ahead of your fuel usage while you are driving.
No problem filling main tank while driving. My install was on my 80 series LC was about 20 years ago. I have had to replace the pump and the gauge/switch. Relatively problem free.

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 19 63.3%
Back