Car & Driver: Overland and See: 2024 Land Rover Defender 130 vs. 2024 Lexus GX550

What this article does not compare is the maintenance and reliability of both vehicles. I have never owned a Range Rover/Land Rover but everyone I know that has one does not use it for off roading and the maintenance is always an issue. I have read that on average a Range Rover/Land Rover has to go in for service around 6 times a year. I love my GX and I have had some pretty nice vehicles. Toyota/Lexus makes a highly reliable vehicle. That's what's important to me and that's why I didn't buy a Defender.

I love mine. And I haven't loved a vehicle in a long time. For the last three years I drove a '21 GMC 2500 Denali, Black Diamond Edition. The nicest truck I've ever had. While it was a great towing vehicle, it sucked to park and drive around town. I look forward to driving the GX every chance I get.

I laugh at some of these reviews. While not claiming to be an automotive “expert,” I have owned many trucks and (high end) cars and there are very few things I do not like about my Overtrail (or my wife’s LC First Edition). Both are very comfortable and drive well, and will take me anywhere I choose to go safely and reliably. My first Toyota and my first Lexus, hope to drive them for many years to come.

PS. I do like the LC steering wheel toggle for radio volume better than the GX volume button. How’s that for nitpicking?!

Coming from a Porsche Macan, the steering wheel layout is so much better with physical “scroll wheels” than the buttons for volume and other controls on the Gx now. It takes much more effort to adjust settings than with a wheel. There’s my critique. :)

You notice that the guys name is Sutton! British origin. Historically the British don’t know how to build mechanical reliable cars. They’re always in the shop. My friend who used to own a Jaguar use to say that when his car ran over a puddle of pee it was in the shop. Outback the saying is “the Defender gets you out and the 550 gets you back!” Boy , I
IMG_4416.jpeg
IMG_4413.jpeg
love my car!

I had a Land Rover Discovery many years ago. Spent more time in the shop than on the road.
I think the Defender 110 is a nice truck, like the air suspension option. But not willing to find out how is is as to reliability….,

My Overtrail, while still very early in ownership, is really nice!

Attachments

• IMG_1842.jpeg
    IMG_1842.jpeg
    451.8 KB · Views: 8
I had a Land Rover Discovery many years ago. Spent more time in the shop than on the road.
I think the Defender 110 is a nice truck, like the air suspension option. But not willing to find out how is is as to reliability….,

My Overtrail, while still very early in ownership, is really nice!
Beautiful color! 😊

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 6 75.0%
Back