🛠️ Member Build CB OT+ build

�Member Build

TexasD-90

Aug 7, 2024
Media
Colorado
Figure I should start a build thread. We live in the mountains of Colorado, and do a good bit of offroad/backcountry travel. In the past I’ve built several 80 series, a couple hundred series and several older defenders. This GX550 is by far the nicest vehicle we’ve ever owned. We bought the OT+, and I have a list of items that I’ll be adding over the next few months. This vehicle does double duty as my wife’s daily driver and an adventure vehicle.

For starters I’ve done the following:
  • front PPF (front clip, mirrors, hood, door handle pockets and door edges)
  • ceramic window tint all around
  • Westcott roof rack

On hand and installing soon:
- SnoMaster fridge

On the short list of items to purchase:
  • sliders that function as a step
  • front bumper
  • winch (we pull a lot of people out of ditches in the winter)
  • BFG all terrains
  • possibly suspension if I feel the ground clearance is needed

Attachments

• IMG_8490.jpeg
    IMG_8490.jpeg
    275 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_8484.jpeg
    IMG_8484.jpeg
    456.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8524.jpeg
    IMG_8524.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 72
Great plan on the build. Ours will serve a similar double duty but I have an 80 for Overland / trail use now. Would love to repeat out Alpine loop and UT travel in the GX some day. A 285/70R18 is 33.7". That may be a good step on the OT wheels. Love the CO trail pic's.

Lookin' good!

This GX550 is my first non-Land Rover truck in over 25 years.

I've been emailing back & forth with Dissent Offroad about their new Land Cruiser sliders and whether or not they'll fit on the GX. In fact, they emailed me last night and asked for few more photos of the underside of my GX. I'll send those off in a minute.

The Dissent sliders are the best step/slider that I've seen. I just want a very basic "running board" style with a plain, flat step with grip tape on top. I want it to support the weight of the truck but look like a simple running board side step. The Dissents are the closest I've found. I'm not a big fan of the tube style with fancy metal designs welded on top.

LC250 Step Sliders

Lookin' good!

I've been emailing back & forth with Dissent Offroad about their new Land Cruiser sliders and whether or not they'll fit on the GX. In fact, they emailed me last night and asked for few more photos of the underside of my GX. I'll send those off in a minute.

The Dissent sliders are the best step/slider that I've seen. I just want a very basic "running board" style with a plain, flat step with grip tape on top. I want it to support the weight of the truck but look like a simple running board side step. The Dissents are the closest I've found. I'm not a big fan of the tube style with fancy metal designs welded on top.

LC250 Step Sliders
I was looking at these and hoping last night. My fiance is short so I need the step part of the step sliders. I have had the tube style in the past and I difinitely like the steps better.

Yeah, they are the most expensive option I've seen by a few hundred dollars but they are what I'm looking for so I guess I'll get them if/when they verify they fit.

Lookin' good!

LC250 Step Sliders
Agree completely, and I’ve also been swapping emails with Dissent. I’ve had several of their products in the past, and they are bomber. Let me know if you learn anything new from them.

I’m still holding on to the LR passion with a ‘92 defender 110.

Attachments

• IMG_7296.jpeg
    IMG_7296.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 65
Can't wait to see the Dissent step slider, that style makes the most sense for a GX. That old school LR style will always ignite a safari vibe.

I just got an email back from Dissent - they need an actual GX550 in their shop to scan to adapt their Land Cruiser sliders to the GX. On the driver's side there is a pump and hoses under the rear door that will necessitate a mounting bracket different from the Land Cruiser's. Anyone in the Sacramento area want to help them out?

I’ve been eyeing those as well. Another good option. Anyone have any feedback on Nytop. I’ve never seen any of their products in person.
The NYTOP sliders are a bit goofy in my opinion. Maybe they'll look better in person. The front and rear ends kind of taper to a point which is hard to properly understand in their photos. I also don't like the odd triangle top plate, although I suppose you could replace it....but why have to bother with that? There's also a big chunk hanging down on the underside by one of the brackets (you want the underside to be smooth to slide over any rocks if needed). And finally, they are one of the companies that has to plaster their name/logo everywhere, which is annoying and clutters and cheapens the vehicle in my humble opinion. And finally finally, I've never heard of anyone that actually has any of their stuff. It all looks good, but I'd like to hear some real consumer feedback.

1725993902645.png

That looks pretty darn good.

A guy in a GX470 or 460 followed me yesterday, I watched him weave through traffic to catch up with me as I was waiting to turn left at an intersection. He stopped in one of the 3 forward lanes next to me, holding up traffic behind him, and rolled his window down motioning to me. I thought maybe I had pissed him off somehow and I got ready to give him a warm Arizona welcome through my passenger window as I rolled it down. He yelled, "What kind of truck is that? I love it!" I told him it was Lexus, same as his, just the new GX550. He said he loves it again and took off.

You're going to get a lot more of these questions now that you've de-badged and gone stealth.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)