Changed oil at 1200 miles

I don't have time to mess with it. I used to enjoy doing mechanical stuff like brakes, suspension, bumpers, winches, etc. and I'll probably install my new front winch bumper when I get one, but fluid changes never floated my boat. Maybe I'll make an appt at Toyota and save some bucks.

I don't have time to mess with it. I used to enjoy doing mechanical stuff like brakes, suspension, bumpers, winches, etc. and I'll probably install my new front winch bumper when I get one, but fluid changes never floated my boat. Maybe I'll make an appt at Toyota and save some bucks.
Had local Toyota dealer change oil yesterday at 2,000 miles. Figured what the hell….

Toyota says change it at 10k. Anecdotal at best advice on why to do it more frequently. Lots of studies that show frequent oil changes are a complete waste of time and money not to mention creating a disposal issue. Plus there isn’t one reason I can think of why a dealer would tell a customer not to have something done that makes them $$ unless it is a complete waste of time

If I was a Toyota or Lexus service manager, or selling oil, I'd be telling everyone to change it every 1,000 miles for the first 10,000 miles, then every 2,000 miles thereafter.

It’s based on how you drive and the conditions. One size doesn’t fit all. Turbo engines run hot and break oil down quicker as a result. Manual states conditioned based intervals as noted in the lower right box. 5000 interval captures 90% of the population.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 2 6.7%