Choosing Full Roof Rack: Prinsu or Westcott?

Incognito86OT

Sep 2, 2024
NorCal
I have come down to either Prinsu or Westcott for the full RR. I like them low profile, low wind noise, has rear side windows Molle panel, rear ladder, and cut out for light bar.

Please assist and share insights with me which one to choose from, greatly appreciated!

Prinsu Pro Roof Rack
$1,355.00
No weight listed on website
Free shipping

Prinsu Pro Lexus GX550 Roof Rack

Westcott Designs Full Length Modular Roof Rack
$995
47 lbs
Shipping to Sacramento $200 (I saw that you're in NorCal)

Lexus GX 550 Full Length Modular Roof Rack - Westcott Designs

Main differences I can see:

Prinsu has "6 integrated drop-in points per crossbar". Westcott doesn't have drop-in points so you have to remove 2 side bolts so you can lift up a crossbar a little bit to slide in anchor bolts.

Prinsu has a bend (like an "L" shape) on the side rails that increase rigidity. The Westcott side rails have a bit of flex....not much, but I can feel they tiniest flex now that I've installed roof rack grab handles on the side rails of my Westcott rack. That being said, I can grab one handle and haul my 225 lbs up and it's fine.

I don't know how much the Prinsu weighs but it looks heavier. Heavier is not better, unless lighter = cheap and flimsy, which the Westcott is not.

They both look great. Heck, they look the same and you probably couldn't tell them apart from 10 feet.

I can also tell you from personal experience that the Westcott does not make any discernable wind noise.

I have the Westcott Roof Rack as well and I agree with everything Bill said above. I have a moon roof so initially we left off two cross bars and there was some play. I added one of the cross bars that we left off and it tightened it up. I'm very happy with it and it replaced the OEM RR which has a totally different look and sits much higher.

I had originally settled on Prinsu but then took a look at Westcott. Now I will get the Atlas rack from Sherpa for two reasons. First reason is the thicker aluminum and second is the no cutting of the rubber weather strip on the roof. Sherpa is more expensive than either Prinsu or Westcott, however. I'm not expecting the vehicle until December or maybe 2025.

I had originally settled on Prinsu but then took a look at Westcott. Now I will get the Atlas rack from Sherpa for two reasons. First reason is the thicker aluminum and second is the no cutting of the rubber weather strip on the roof. Sherpa is more expensive than either Prinsu or Westcott, however. I'm not expecting the vehicle until December or maybe 2025.
The Sherpa also has proprietary rubber blocks (not sure right term) used to mount to the factory holes, so you don't have to use RTV silicone.

Prinsu Pro Roof Rack
$1,355.00
No weight listed on website
Free shipping

Prinsu Pro Lexus GX550 Roof Rack

Westcott Designs Full Length Modular Roof Rack
$995
47 lbs
Shipping to Sacramento $200 (I saw that you're in NorCal)

Lexus GX 550 Full Length Modular Roof Rack - Westcott Designs

Main differences I can see:

Prinsu has "6 integrated drop-in points per crossbar". Westcott doesn't have drop-in points so you have to remove 2 side bolts so you can lift up a crossbar a little bit to slide in anchor bolts.

Prinsu has a bend (like an "L" shape) on the side rails that increase rigidity. The Westcott side rails have a bit of flex....not much, but I can feel they tiniest flex now that I've installed roof rack grab handles on the side rails of my Westcott rack. That being said, I can grab one handle and haul my 225 lbs up and it's fine.

I don't know how much the Prinsu weighs but it looks heavier. Heavier is not better, unless lighter = cheap and flimsy, which the Westcott is not.

They both look great. Heck, they look the same and you probably couldn't tell them apart from 10 feet.

I can also tell you from personal experience that the Westcott does not make any discernable wind noise.
Thank you Bill for your detail opinions!
I have the Westcott Roof Rack as well and I agree with everything Bill said above. I have a moon roof so initially we left off two cross bars and there was some play. I added one of the cross bars that we left off and it tightened it up. I'm very happy with it and it replaced the OEM RR which has a totally different look and sits much higher.
So moon roof won't work with either RR.
Will need to check out Sherpa RR.
The Sherpa also has proprietary rubber blocks (not sure right term) used to mount to the factory holes, so you don't have to use RTV silicone.
Hmm that a great feature!

I originally had the Lexus crossbars on my OT+. Way too much wind noise. I removed them and only had the OT roof rails running front to back. Then I installed the Westcott full rack. This is quieter than the roof rails! I am very pleased with the aesthetic, the weight, the value and most of all the noise!

Attachments

• IMG_8524.jpeg
    IMG_8524.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8535.jpeg
    IMG_8535.jpeg
    380.6 KB · Views: 78
I originally had the Lexus crossbars on my OT+. Way too much wind noise. I removed them and only had the OT roof rails running front to back. Then I installed the Westcott full rack. This is quieter than the roof rails! I am very pleased with the aesthetic, the weight, the value and most of all the noise!
Thank you for your valuable feedback! and pics worth more than 1000 words!

I have come down to either Prinsu or Westcott for the full RR. I like them low profile, low wind noise, has rear side windows Molle panel, rear ladder, and cut out for light bar.

Please assist and share insights with me which one to choose from, greatly appreciated!
I have the prinsu rr LEXUS installed it and the warranty it don’t know if they that for WESTCOTT

The Westcott is the lowest profile which means less wind noise. It was one of the first to market and many have it reporting no noise.

Prinsu is about 2” taller and basically the same design with the few detailed differences described above (drop in t rails, side pieces are reenforced)… that don’t warrant the price difference to me.

The Sherpa looks structurally the same as the Prinsu, however it mounts using the cross bars vs the side frames. I’m not sure if that’s the strongest design.
I do like the sherpas “booting” systems for keeping water out.
It’s also the gaudiest design competitive with the victory4x4 from my view.

I think the Westcott is the superior design and best price. I’ve got mine assembled and will install in a few weeks.

I’ve made a few tweaks (pics to follow) preparing for install as I wait for roof PPF.
I used brass washers for the crossbars mount bolts- (the brass will contrast and patina and look sharp against the earth paint).
I also ordered a box of epdm rubber 1/8 washers to sandwich between roof spacers and mounts to seal it.

You should use silicone in any circumstance for added water penetration security. My 17 Taco was victim of the roof tail light leak and rusted all my tools behind the seat and molded the truck a bit. Still stinks. Pissed.

Attachments

• IMG_2963.jpeg
    IMG_2963.jpeg
    238.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
That's going to look really cool with the brass washers on the Earth color. On my rack I removed the two stainless steel rear accent pieces with the bottle openers and painted them black and clear coated them and then reinstalled. I tried to use the bottle openers this past weekend but you can't get a bottle in there because the truck body sticks out too far under the rack. Bummer.

The Westcott is the lowest profile which means less wind noise. It was one of the first to market and many have it reporting no noise.

Prinsu is about 2” taller and basically the same design with the few detailed differences described above (drop in t rails, side pieces are reenforced)… that don’t warrant the price difference to me.

The Sherpa looks structurally the same as the Prinsu, however it mounts using the cross bars vs the side frames. I’m not sure if that’s the strongest design.
I do like the sherpas “booting” systems for keeping water out.
It’s also the gaudiest design competitive with the victory4x4 from my view.

I think the Westcott is the superior design and best price. I’ve got mine assembled and will install in a few weeks.

I’ve made a few tweaks (pics to follow) preparing for install as I wait for roof PPF.
I used brass washers for the crossbars mount bolts- (the brass will contrast and patina and look sharp against the earth paint).
I also ordered a box of epdm rubber 1/8 washers to sandwich between roof spacers and mounts to seal it.

You should use silicone in any circumstance for added water penetration security. My 17 Taco was victim of the roof tail light leak and rusted all my tools behind the seat and molded the truck a bit. Still stinks. Pissed.
I really like the brass washer idea!!

I looked at all the racks and chose Westcott. Light weight, easy to assemble( they have a you tube video),low profile ( almost no noise), left out the 2nd bar and almost unobstructed moon roof and it look better in person than in photos! To boot if you are a first responder or military, you get $100 off so $1095 including $200 shipping!
IMG_4416.jpeg
IMG_4413.jpeg

I looked at all the racks and chose Westcott. Light weight, easy to assemble( they have a you tube video),low profile ( almost no noise), left out the 2nd bar and almost unobstructed moon roof and it look better in person than in photos! To boot if you are a first responder or military, you get $100 off so $1095 including $200 shipping!
Looks really good 👍🏻

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 6 75.0%
Back