Dreaded "Toyota Lean?"

jreifler

Aug 2, 2024
Media
Memphis
So, my one substantive complaint on new-to-me 550 is this . . .

IMG_3124.jpeg

That happened after my first fill up last week. It's a good 1.5" lower on that side in the rear. I didn't notice any adverse handling or anything, but it's definitely leaning.

I opened a ticket with the dealer. They said they hadn't seen it on any others, but have only sold a handful here in Memphis.

Any thoughts or experience from the group ? I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't properly engineer a progressive spring rating on that corner if this was a known thing.

Man that’s strange. I know the hydraulic KDSS systems would have these issues but also easily remedied. Now that it’s an electronic system who knows…. Hope they can get you fixed up.

View attachment 2232

That happened after my first fill up last week. It's a good 1.5" lower on that side in the rear. I didn't notice any adverse handling or anything, but it's definitely leaning.

I opened a ticket with the dealer. They said they hadn't seen it on any others, but have only sold a handful here in Memphis.

Any thoughts or experience from the group ? I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't properly engineer a progressive spring rating on that corner if this was a known thing.

Just filled up at the costco on winchester in Memphis. I def see sag on your passenger side. Below is a back photo shot of mine on a full tank. Doesn’t appear to be leaning like yours. Im on a incline in that photo and will post again after fill up on level flat surface with zero incline

Attachments

• IMG_1589.jpeg
    IMG_1589.jpeg
    319.2 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

View attachment 2232

Topped off at perkins/poplar and took photo on flat level surface

Attachments

• IMG_1592.jpeg
    IMG_1592.jpeg
    229.1 KB · Views: 199
Topped off at perkins/poplar and took photo on flat level surface
Hm. I do see a little lean there ? Have you measured fender height from ground? I’m working on driving down this tank of gas, and am definitely noticing it leveling out.

Hoping Lexus calls next week with a proposed solution.

Weight of driver should more than offset weight of tank no? It’s a small tank.

OP’s photo looks more like a genuine suspension problem unless there is something else going on.

Weight of driver should more than offset weight of tank no? It’s a small tank.

OP’s photo looks more like a genuine suspension problem unless there is something else going on.
21.1 gallon tank at 6.1 lbs per gallon equals ~129 lbs so, yes, the average drive should more than offset the weight of the gas. I'm guessing that the corner weights of the GX 550 aren't perfectly balanced, but they should be close enough to not have any noticeable lean. Something else is going on with the OP's GX.

21.1 gallon tank at 6.1 lbs per gallon equals ~129 lbs so, yes, the average drive should more than offset the weight of the gas. I'm guessing that the corner weights of the GX 550 aren't perfectly balanced, but they should be close enough to not have any noticeable lean. Something else is going on with the OP's GX.
Yeah. Will be checking back in with the dealer tomorrow. Hoping they’ve at least started digging in on it.

Reactions: JPE
Quick update - Had a very irritating call with the service advisor who essentially just talked in circles trying to placate me, and then I called the actual lead technician who opened my ticket. He confirmed it was not normal, and wants me to bring the truck in for measurements. I'll probably try to do that tomorrow.

In the meantime, if anyone following happens to have a truck currently in need of gas, I'd LOVE to get a pic / measurement of your left to right rear fender heights from the ground both on E and right after with a full tank. I have a feeling I may need to provide some external evidence at some point showing the lean is not in fact normal.

Quick update - Had a very irritating call with the service advisor who essentially just talked in circles trying to placate me, and then I called the actual lead technician who opened my ticket. He confirmed it was not normal, and wants me to bring the truck in for measurements. I'll probably try to do that tomorrow.

In the meantime, if anyone following happens to have a truck currently in need of gas, I'd LOVE to get a pic / measurement of your left to right rear fender heights from the ground both on E and right after with a full tank. I have a feeling I may need to provide some external evidence at some point showing the lean is not in fact normal.
You should take the measurements from the center of the wheel the the edge of the fender well. This is the most accurate,

Well, wheel / tire size and tire pressure can still vary even measuring from wheel center. Most accurate would technically be from a consistent spot on the chassis, but for these purposes, any measurement point will do. Just trying to get reference points to share with the dealer if I need to. I can adjust as needed.

Not exactly sure. But it was my first new car back then and I was adamant it was leaning.

Now I have the new GX and it's solid. But your 1st photo shows a serious lean. Second photo not so much.

Still, make it right!

View attachment 2232

Mine does the same thing. The dealership said it was within specs

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%