False Alarm This Morning.....thankfully (rodent damage)

rangertrace

Jul 29, 2024
Media
Bedford, TX
My back yard backs up to a 4 lane city street with a storm drain just on the other side of my privacy fence. Apparently there are a lot of rats in the storm drain, because over the last 10 years, I've had the wires chewed on my TRD PRO Tundra 3 times costing me $500 each time and one time on my wife's NX. Once we sold the lawn equipment and started keeping both vehicle inside the garage, the rodent damage stopped. Fast forward to today. On the way home from the gym, I noticed the lane assist wasn't working. Actually it seemed like several sensors weren't working, which is sometimes one of the first things you notice with chewed wires. After losing my shit for a few minutes, I figured out that I had accidentally pushed the button just below the cruise control button.... You won't understand until you've had your Toyota destroyed by rodents when you can't park inside the garage.

Last edited:
I'm a little shocked at the lack of responses here. Surely some of you have had a run in with rodents? Personally, I hadn't heard about Toyota using soy based wire insulation until my first check engine light in the Tundra led up to an engine compartment full of half eaten acorns and a $500 insurance payment to fix the damage. So, just in case you do keep your GX outside of a garage, I'd suggest your google "toyota rodent damage" for some great reading.

My nephew just had his 5th Gen 4Runner engine harness destroyed. I believe his insurance covered it, not the warranty as you noted. Glad you only had scare this time. I do sense a twitch in your note 😁.

Wow, glad I haven’t had that happen here. They exist in my dad’s area though so he has a pest company manage traps outside the house for them. I can’t imagine if one actually ate wiring!

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 19 63.3%
Back