Few questions?

WDEKH

Jul 25, 2024
Media
Atlanta
I've had my GX for about a week and wanted to ask a few questions but didn't want to start multiple threads

1. Is anyone doing ceramic coating? Would love to hear thoughts/opinions on that

2. Anyone seen an all weather cargo mat from Lexus yet? Mine came with all weather but for the cargo area, it just covers the back lip and not the back of the 3rd row seats. Majority of the time, I will have the 3rd row down for cargo space so looking to get some protection there.

3. Anyone purchased any accessories for storing random items yet? One thing I didn't realize until I've driven it some is the lack of storage compartments. I ordered a couple of visor clips for sunglasses but wondering where I'm going to store anything random I keep in the car. My GX came with the cool box which while nice, but sure I'm losing some storage space there and not sure how often I'll actually use it.

4. Anyone use the cool box yet and care to share your opinion? Haven't used mine at all yet but assuming it will only stay on while the car is running

5. I was planning on adding crossbars but curious on others opinions on those.. I haven't seen a GX in person with the cross bars so if anyone has thoughts on those

The GX is smaller than what I am used to but really like it so far. As someone mentioned somewhere else here... the AC is defaulted to off but not sure if that's an issue or by design when starting the GX up.

I agree w you on the storage and will be trying a cheap option I learned about on the LC from Walmart that goes between seat and center console - will report back once installed.

The factory rails suck
- they are not adjustable - you cannot move them up and down the rails
-they are loud
-they seem flimsy

My 4Runner (2012) and Bronco (2021) had much better rack and rails

I will be looking to replace w something low profile and quiet or a full swap with a Prinsu/Wescott etc. when I need something for camping, etc.

I agree w you on the storage and will be trying a cheap option I learned about on the LC from Walmart that goes between seat and center console - will report back once installed.

The factory rails suck
- they are not adjustable - you cannot move them up and down the rails
-they are loud
-they seem flimsy

My 4Runner (2012) and Bronco (2021) had much better rack and rails

I will be looking to replace w something low profile and quiet or a full swap with a Prinsu/Wescott etc. when I need something for camping, etc.
Thank you for the reply! Report back any storage accessories you find. I appreciate the feedback on the cross bars so I definitely will not do those. I forget but think I was quoted around $750-$800 to have them installed. I think labor was close to what the cross bars were.

Thank you for the reply! Report back any storage accessories you find. I appreciate the feedback on the cross bars so I definitely will not do those. I forget but think I was quoted around $750-$800 to have them installed. I think labor was close to what the cross bars were.
Def not worth that. Many seem to have taken them off for noise reasons so you may be able to get some cheaply. They look easy to install. No real other cross bar options yet.

Subbing. It’s funny I have the exact same questions as yours. For the floor mat I asked my dealer and they are going to order me a new one and should be here in a few weeks. Apparently they were not available until recently.
I’m coming from a Macan and it’s sad to say that for cubby storage area, it had more than the GX! I throught I would be able to stow away a bunch of my old accessories like jumper cables, portable compressor, a few kid items etc but there’s nowhere to put them! Behind the third row there’s there little lip for strange but you can maybe get a large bag of skittles in there and that’s it.

As for the cool box - it’s empty now because I want to try it out. But I have a feeling it might become storage in the future.

Hoping you guys have better solution for storage.

Subbing. It’s funny I have the exact same questions as yours. For the floor mat I asked my dealer and they are going to order me a new one and should be here in a few weeks. Apparently they were not available until recently.
I’m coming from a Macan and it’s sad to say that for cubby storage area, it had more than the GX! I throught I would be able to stow away a bunch of my old accessories like jumper cables, portable compressor, a few kid items etc but there’s nowhere to put them! Behind the third row there’s there little lip for strange but you can maybe get a large bag of skittles in there and that’s it.

As for the cool box - it’s empty now because I want to try it out. But I have a feeling it might become storage in the future.

Was the dealer ordering you a all weather cargo mat or just floor mat? I reached out to my sales guy this morning to ask if they offered a all weather mat to cover the 3rd row seats while down.

It would be ideal if there was an attachable protection mat that would stay on the back of the 3rd row seat even when you raise them up instead of having to remove when I want to use the 3rd row. Maybe there is something like this out there and just need to do some research.

Was the dealer ordering you a all weather cargo mat or just floor mat? I reached out to my sales guy this morning to ask if they offered a all weather mat to cover the 3rd row seats while down.

It would be ideal if there was an attachable protection mat that would stay on the back of the 3rd row seat even when you raise them up instead of having to remove when I want to use the 3rd row. Maybe there is something like this out there and just need to do some research.
The way the dealer explained to me is that the mat would cover every past the 2nd row, including the back lip. I dont care much as I will rarely use the 3rd row, and if I do, I will just take out the large mat and replace it with the tiny one I have now. This way I can be protected 95% of the time when I just need to put grocery bags, coolers, snowboard, etc in the trunk and not worry about the stains.

My OT has a storage cubby below the jack storage on the left in the rear compartment. May be for an onboard compressor but I can store a recovery rope and a few other items in there and my e-flares in with the jack compartment.

I've had my GX for about a week and wanted to ask a few questions but didn't want to start multiple threads

1. Is anyone doing ceramic coating? Would love to hear thoughts/opinions on that

2. Anyone seen an all weather cargo mat from Lexus yet? Mine came with all weather but for the cargo area, it just covers the back lip and not the back of the 3rd row seats. Majority of the time, I will have the 3rd row down for cargo space so looking to get some protection there.

3. Anyone purchased any accessories for storing random items yet? One thing I didn't realize until I've driven it some is the lack of storage compartments. I ordered a couple of visor clips for sunglasses but wondering where I'm going to store anything random I keep in the car. My GX came with the cool box which while nice, but sure I'm losing some storage space there and not sure how often I'll actually use it.

4. Anyone use the cool box yet and care to share your opinion? Haven't used mine at all yet but assuming it will only stay on while the car is running

5. I was planning on adding crossbars but curious on others opinions on those.. I haven't seen a GX in person with the cross bars so if anyone has thoughts on those

The GX is smaller than what I am used to but really like it so far. As someone mentioned somewhere else here... the AC is defaulted to off but not sure if that's an issue or by design when starting the GX up.
Did the ceramic coating recommend it,mat also,cool box worked perfectly put prinsu real so recommend and light bar from rigid

Attachments

• IMG_2474.jpeg
    IMG_2474.jpeg
    371.7 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_2472.jpeg
    IMG_2472.jpeg
    346.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2479.jpeg
    IMG_2479.jpeg
    273 KB · Views: 137
2. I've got the bench seat and the rear rubber mat does not cover the back of the bench seat. No way it could since the seats fold and flip up.

3. Cool box works reasonably well, but it's not like pulling drinks off ice. I think I'd prefer a cavernous console box since storage is so lacking. I've got a couple of old gym bags and storing accessories in for now.

5. I deleted the rack, figuring if I ever needed to go up top, I'd get towers from Yakima, making sure they mated up with my Yak crossbars and accessories. I've got a cargo rack I can use off the hitch.

I feel you on the storage space. I came from a Tahoe where it had a huge center console and ample side door spots.

I’m trying to work with the center console. Today, bought a coin holder that I stuck inside the nook and an organizer from the container store. Just trying to have some sort of organization since it’s so small.

Attachments

• IMG_2508.jpeg
    IMG_2508.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 140
2. I've got the bench seat and the rear rubber mat does not cover the back of the bench seat. No way it could since the seats fold and flip up.

3. Cool box works reasonably well, but it's not like pulling drinks off ice. I think I'd prefer a cavernous console box since storage is so lacking. I've got a couple of old gym bags and storing accessories in for now.

5. I deleted the rack, figuring if I ever needed to go up top, I'd get towers from Yakima, making sure they mated up with my Yak crossbars and accessories. I've got a cargo rack I can use off the hitch.
Thanks!

My OT has a storage cubby below the jack storage on the left in the rear compartment. May be for an onboard compressor but I can store a recovery rope and a few other items in there and my e-flares in with the jack compartment.

Attachments

• IMG_2087.jpeg
    IMG_2087.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2088.jpeg
    IMG_2088.jpeg
    467.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2089.jpeg
    IMG_2089.jpeg
    386.4 KB · Views: 105
WeatherTech makes one for the GX550 (not the OT models). My phone isn’t cooperating for the link, but here’s the details. Fits perfectly.

Attachments

• IMG_5131.png
    IMG_5131.png
    120.1 KB · Views: 91

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S