Greetings, newbie here and thanks for the great forum

FWTBT

Oct 20, 2024
Southern NJ
Leaning heavily toward a GX550 to replace my 2020 4Runner Limited 3-row. I've had a couple dozen cars over the years and the 4Runner has been one of my very favorites. You really can't beat the combination of utility, reliability and durability. But while charming in their own way, the 4Runners' rough edges have been wearing on me. So I started considering what's out there with a similar amount of utility (hauling people or cargo, bad weather, off road ability) and similar reliability and durability, but with a lot more power and refinement.

What I think I've concluded is that no such vehicle exists, regardless of price. You just can't get something new these days that's as likely as the 5th-Generation 4Runner to pass 300k miles with few or no major repairs. Engines and transmissions like that were never common, and seem nonexistent now due to the pressures of emission requirements combined with consumer expectations for MPG, power and weight-adding features.

But the GX550 looks to tick a lot of my other boxes quite well, and better than anything else on the market. It's got pretty similar interior and exterior dimensions to the 4Runner, with 3 rows. I find it a shame that it's larger than the 4Runner on the outside while being smaller on the inside. But it's close enough for me. It's got the tough BOF construction I want with similar 4WD ability, but unlike the 4Runner they are combined with nice power, a good highway demeanor and an upscale cabin. Plus it looks damn good. And these days I think I'm willing to prioritize that combination at the expense of reliability and durability after, say, 200K miles.

What has given me more pause is the amount of tech, particularly the intrusive active safety features. I really prefer an analog experience, old fashioned gauges and buttons, a nice mechanical feel, and not having to worry that a computer is going to make basic driving decisions for you, against your wishes. I want to operate a machine, not a computer that is operating a machine. To me that's a sad trend, robbing human agency. And the problem is greatly aggravated by how poorly these systems often work.

But from what I've read here on the forum, in the owners manual and in professional reviews, it appears that the most troublesome of these features can be turned off in in the infotainment system and will remain off after shut down and restart of the car. IF that's the case I can get over the annoyance of them existing at all, and having paid for things I won't use. I'm talking chiefly here about the driver monitor, lane keep assist and the traffic jam assist (which though not standard seems to be a common feature on the GXs I see in inventories).

I am curious though about the performance of the automatic emergency braking in every day use. My 4Runner has it and it's never slammed on the brakes for no good reason, just given a handful of false alerts. But I've driven other cars where the system is absolutely paranoid, panicking at nothing and sending you and your belongings flying toward the dashboard when there was no actual danger at all. Honestly, I can't believe people put up with that.

Anyway, that's where my head is at on the GX. I'd appreciate any thoughts in reply, and thank you all again for the information you've posted on the forum so far. It's been a big help.

Last edited:
I think you can turn all of those off. Mine has braked for the a couple times, both in the driveway when I got too close to the bushes lining my fence. It wasn't wrong as I was already hitting the soft branches. I've had 4Runners, Tacoma, Tundra and my wife currently has a 460. You will love this GX......

The emergency braking has been a non issue for us. Only stopped the truck when reversing in a very tight space. It can be overridden with a button left of the steering wheel on the dash, but would need to be disabled each time in my experience.

As for the rest of the tech, I didn't want it either but have enjoyed using it and how most of it works. The HUD is nice. I wouldn't have specified it but it was in the OT+ we found. I would likely willingly opt for it now that I have used it.

Agree on not many others new platforms comparing and being a step up from the 4Runner utility. The GX will deliver about the same mpg but with power to spare and full time 4wd albeit on premium fuel.

Thanks @rangertrace and @AtomicEric. I’d expect automatic emergency braking to default to the On position when restarting. While I kinda object to automated braking on principle, I do feel a responsibility to accept the actual safety advantage it brings — IF it actually works as intended instead of yelling at you, or worse activating, for no good reason. I haven’t had an accident in ages but there was one time where my 4Runner’s system slammed on the brakes for good reason. I’ll never know for sure if I wouldn’t have stopped soon enough myself, but I do know that it was a reasonable intervention under the circumstances. And as mentioned it’s never hit the brakes on its own for nothing, and very rarely has warned me for nothing. So it seems neither dangerous nor a nuisance and thus I feel I have an obligation to leave it on.

What I need reassurance about is that the other active safety systems can be turned off and stay off unless you purposefully turn them back on. I will never want the driver monitor or traffic jam assist, especially given their reportedly poor implementation (eg monitor yells at you if a hand is at 12 oclock on steering wheel; traffic jam assist works under such limited circumstances that it’s often not useful and deactivates when you might actually want it, plus it seems an excuse to suck subscription money and personal data from owners). And I’m likely to never want lane keep assist.

So, can you confirm that these systems can be turned off persistently in your own GXs? Thanks!

Back