GX550 Overtrail Vibration

Didn't read through the entire thread so not sure if this has been suggested yet, but if we're lucky enough, would someone with a non-vibrating GX be willing to meet up with someone with a vibrating GX and drive them back to back? Then maybe take those two vehicles to the dealership to show them the difference? Probably wishful thinking as the number of GXs out in the wild are pretty small at the moment, but thought I'd throw it out there.
That is a great idea. The difficulty, without doing this, is it is tough to know if all the issues are the same thing, or if they are all different. Is it really as bad as some say, or is it worse than some think. When I read that people on the board are upset their truck is 1/4" high on one side I start to wonder if some of these issues are perhaps overblown. Of course everyone here will be super sensitive to it at this point.

That is a great idea. The difficulty, without doing this, is it is tough to know if all the issues are the same thing, or if they are all different. Is it really as bad as some say, or is it worse than some think. When I read that people on the board are upset their truck is 1/4" high on one side I start to wonder if some of these issues are perhaps overblown. Of course everyone here will be super sensitive to it at this point.
Agreed. However, any given two overtrails are supposed to ride exactly the same. If they don’t, then at the very least the dealership can’t deny it’s an issue and chalk it up to “it’s just a characteristic of this model”.

Agreed. However, any given two overtrails are supposed to ride exactly the same. If they don’t, then at the very least the dealership can’t deny it’s an issue and chalk it up to “it’s just a characteristic of this model”.
I think the part that has been hard is having two together at the same time. If it was an f250 with 10 on the lot it is easy to check. If there are 6 over trails in New England it’s much harder

I know there is a lot of confirmation bias in this thread/forum bc people are looking for answers but is there anyway someone can take a poll of gx 550 OT owners experiencing the vibrations and not experiencing the vibrations?

Didn't read through the entire thread so not sure if this has been suggested yet, but if we're lucky enough, would someone with a non-vibrating GX be willing to meet up with someone with a vibrating GX and drive them back to back? Then maybe take those two vehicles to the dealership to show them the difference? Probably wishful thinking as the number of GXs out in the wild are pretty small at the moment, but thought I'd throw it out there.
Please, someone make this happen!

My OT+ is a week old with about 180 miles on it and I have the vibration issue. I’m pretty much convinced it’s suspension related too and nothing to do with tires or wheels. I can drive my wife’s Highlander over same roads and it is way smoother but I do barely feel the same bumps in the same places as the GX but the GX just seems to amplify them. I have thought about putting a bunch of weight in the back to load the rear suspension to see if there is a difference. I’m wondering if the springs are a bit overly stiff to accommodate the high towing capacity of the GX. Just a theory. It does seem to be the rear suspension that is causing most of the bumpy feeling.

It’s not anything I can’t live with and I haven’t even taken it to dealer yet. I’m sort of waiting to see what plays out with everyone else right now. I also thought about taking tire pressure down to 32 or 30 to see if that makes a difference. If it does then that definitely would point to stiff springs or shock valving as the issue if the tires absorb the the bumps.

Picked up our Overtrail + on Saturday and immediately after pulling out of the dealer's lot we noticed a vibration that was present. We originally thought it was the tires being unbalanced or maybe the alignment was off.

We just picked it back up from the service today after being there for two days and they do not have an answer. I went on a test drive with their master mechanic who did notice what we were feeling and agrees it seemed odd. The tech said wheel imbalance would occur and be noticeable at speeds around 55+. The vibration occurs from 5 mph upwards. But everything they checked shows that there shouldn't be an issue. They are thinking KDSS might be the blame or perhaps the offroad tires... They have opened up a ticket and we are currently waiting to hear back from Lexus.

Any other overtrail owners experience this?
I purchased an OT+ last week and I definitely get a vibration when I get up to about 75 mph not a severe vibration but very noticeable. I’m taking it in next week to have a look at it, but I fear they will tell me the same thing.

My OT drives smooth as butter at all speeds. I’m in Memphis, and jreifler is in Memphis, but not sure if he is having vibration issues(just leaning issues)

If his is vibrating, i’d be willing to meet up with him if he’s willing. Im Curious to test drive one that is vibrating

A poll is a good idea as well to see how prevalent this is

Last edited:
Dealer completed first maintenance at 5k miles and during this visit they checked balance on the tires and rotated them.

I kid you not, the vehicle seems to ride better! I asked if they did any sort of update or did an alignment and they said they did not. The vibration is still present but seems less pronounced and jarring.

I still would like to see Lexus push an update to the EKDSS whether that is software or the actual units themselves.

My OT drives smooth as butter at all speeds. I’m in Memphis, and jreifler is in Memphis, but not sure if he is having vibration issues(just leaning issues)

If his is vibrating, i’d be willing to meet up with him if he’s willing. Im Curious to test drive one that is vibrating

A poll is a good idea as well to see how prevalent this is
I experienced a pretty aggressive vibration at around 75-85mph, but ONLY while towing recently. I initially freaked out about that, but am now convinced it's an issue with trailer wheel balance, rather than one with the truck. I don't notice any consistent vibration otherwise, but have not driven another OT.

@Michael T - Just dropped mine at Lexus for them to research the lean issue (Dreaded "Toyota Lean?"), but let's compare when that's done.

Brought my Atomic Silver OT home today and I think I heard the noise you folks are talking about. Between 50-60 MPH. It sounded like it was coming from the spoiler to me. Didn't hear anything odd on slower streets and didn't have time to drive it more. I do love it compared to my 2500 HD Denali though!!

Brought my Atomic Silver OT home today and I think I heard the noise you folks are talking about. Between 50-60 MPH. It sounded like it was coming from the spoiler to me. Didn't hear anything odd on slower streets and didn't have time to drive it more. I do love it compared to my 2500 HD Denali though!!
That’s more likely the roof rack. Which is very noisy at speed. I think the vibration issue is being felt through the chassis itself.

I experienced a pretty aggressive vibration at around 75-85mph, but ONLY while towing recently. I initially freaked out about that, but am now convinced it's an issue with trailer wheel balance, rather than one with the truck. I don't notice any consistent vibration otherwise, but have not driven another OT.

@Michael T - Just dropped mine at Lexus for them to research the lean issue (Dreaded "Toyota Lean?"), but let's compare when that's done.

@jreifler let me know what they say about your lean. Is it over 0.59 inches? Apparently that’s what is out of spec.

Haven’t towed yet cuz wanted to break in engine well first.

I’ll measure from hub to center wheel next time i fill up to get exact measurements and post in your lean thread.

I saw 3 diff 550’s around east memphis today, so I know they’re flooding in now. When I go to 5000 mile service, i’ll ask if any other people have experienced vibration or lean.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)