GX550h hybrid trunk space is mind boggling

I’m really impressed with the technology. However, here are some negatives.
The Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid is a plug in hybrid. So it can go ~20 miles or so just on the battery.
The problem is by default this is how it wants to operate. So when you turn the key to fire it up, nothing happens. The dash kicks on, so you know it’s “on” but there is no way to turn on the gas motor.
The battery power operation is so weak. You can gradually acceleration to 60+ mph but if you need to get on an on-ramp and quickly accelerate, only then will the gas motor kick on (cold!). So now you’re over revving a cold engine. Not great in Colorado winters.
If you know you’re going to need the hp of the gas motor before hand you can press the accelerator petal to kick on the gas motor, but it will turn off if you’re not constantly on the throttle.
You can press the Sport button to force the gas motor to turn on sooner, but it still wants to run on electricity.

In reality, I’m getting around 10-12 miles of pure electricity. Then it dies and now you’re lugging around a heavy, dead battery in the trunk.

The positives is the electric motor does assist in acceleration (even when it says it’s empty). So you sort of have the feeling of instant torque. The Cayenne is fast.

My wife also drives a Cayenne but hers is non-hybrid.
You turn the key and instantly the sound of a burbling engine kicks on. Power delivery is smooth and consistent.

I would prefer the Porsche system to be a Hybrid assist vehicle and not have an “electric” mode. If a little battery can be undetected and help acceleration, I’m all for that.
Thanks for the review. Here I thought all hybrid systems were ‘assist’ & didn’t run on pure electric. I wouldn’t have thought they operate as you’re describing. I can see how you’d look forward to just a pure gas power train.

Battery pack under the floor. That is why I didn't buy a Sequoia. What is interesting is the third row will make that hump even higher when the seats are folded. Much less leg room also. Hello shelf system! There must be another way...
You think they’ll even offer 3 rows?

It seems unfinished. Surely, that can't be the final production form?!
it’s that way for Asian countries I doubt the gx has different figuration for the North American market. Almost an insult to who buys them…
IMG_2810.jpeg

The Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid is a plug in hybrid. So it can go ~20 miles or so just on the battery.
The problem is by default this is how it wants to operate. So when you turn the key to fire it up, nothing happens. The dash kicks on, so you know it’s “on” but there is no way to turn on the gas motor.
The battery power operation is so weak. You can gradually acceleration to 60+ mph but if you need to get on an on-ramp and quickly accelerate, only then will the gas motor kick on (cold!). So now you’re over revving a cold engine. Not great in Colorado winters.
If you know you’re going to need the hp of the gas motor before hand you can press the accelerator petal to kick on the gas motor, but it will turn off if you’re not constantly on the throttle.
You can press the Sport button to force the gas motor to turn on sooner, but it still wants to run on electricity.

In reality, I’m getting around 10-12 miles of pure electricity. Then it dies and now you’re lugging around a heavy, dead battery in the trunk.

The positives is the electric motor does assist in acceleration (even when it says it’s empty). So you sort of have the feeling of instant torque. The Cayenne is fast.

You turn the key and instantly the sound of a burbling engine kicks on. Power delivery is smooth and consistent.

I would prefer the Porsche system to be a Hybrid assist vehicle and not have an “electric” mode. If a little battery can be undetected and help acceleration, I’m all for that.
Any hybrid powertrain other than a Toyota is pure knock off, impressive on paper, problematic in reality.

Reactions: MJE
I think it will more look like this (be careful to catch it in the video):

that's a dealer/importer supplied trim piece with led light to put on to cover up the ugly hump of the battery/seat. NOT form Lexus. Dealer was already under fire from Chinese people mad for only 4 cylinder 550 at 3.4tt price in China so they come up with that trim to cover up their demos

that's a dealer/importer supplied trim piece with led light to put on to cover up the ugly hump of the battery/seat. NOT form Lexus. Dealer was already under fire from Chinese people mad for only 4 cylinder 550 at 3.4tt price in China so they come up with that trim to cover up their demos
Very interesting- thank you for sharing.

Good info here. Thank you.
We looked at the Porsche Cayenne hybrid for myself and the Macan for my wife before looking at Lexus. Ended up ruling the Cayenne out as the hybrid they did just doesn’t make sense, and the Macan out because of the mileage and maintenance costs.
We chose the 500h for my wife because, IMO, they did a hybrid performance “right”. A fun 366hp hybrid that still gets 27-28mpg. Lexus reliability is a real positive.
If Lexus did indeed choose the 4cly hybrid with that monstrous tumor in the cargo area, the GX will be out as well. Super disappointing.

No hybrid for me till they give absolutely no choice
TERRIBLE placement/design of the battery! They must have carried the battery module over from another Toyota model to save on cost. As I recall, the Land Cruiser looks better than this? Was considering a LC, but of all things, it demands premium fuel. So, might as well do the GX, with the smooth-running V6.

Last edited:
What about regenerating hybrid vs plug in?
Cannot speak for re you live, but here the licensing for a plug-in hybrid is appreciably higher than a pure hybrid. We drive so few miles in our senior years, a plug-in does not appeal. We own a 2021 Toyota Highlander hybrid now, and love it, but obviously not off-road capable.

What about regenerating hybrid vs plug in?
Like my first comment I hold true to that , ow that being said if your into hybrid wait till they come out with solid state batteries for one they should be flatter. Would rather see a smaller battery to assist in off road to supply outdoor accessories plus with thinner batteries possibly of putting some in roof so Passenger room and if you are batteries, wouldn’t be able to get wet

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)