GX550h hybrid trunk space is mind boggling

I've had 2 Toyota hybrids and they've been excellent, but that battery placement in the rear is totally unacceptable. Just hang the spare tire off the rear bumper and drop the batteries down under. Maybe go back to the swing out door. I might buy it then pending review of a transmission vs the CVT.

Like my first comment I hold true to that , ow that being said if your into hybrid wait till they come out with solid state batteries for one they should be flatter. Would rather see a smaller battery to assist in off road to supply outdoor accessories plus with thinner batteries possibly of putting some in roof so Passenger room and if you are batteries, wouldn’t be able to get wet
They would never put a battery on a roof due to center of gravity. Vehicle will roll over

It seems really odd that Toyota went with 4 cylinder engine on the hybrid GX. The hybrid options on both the Tundra and Tacoma are a step up because the hybrid components are mated to the same engine and give us a moderate boost in HP and torque. Going from 6 cylinders to 4 in the GX just seems like a major downgrade, especially since the overall design is so geared toward performance. And on top of that they gave us that heinous bump in the rear cargo area too? No thanks. I hope they make some major changes for the US debut.

Last edited:
It seems really odd that Toyota went with 4 cylinder engine on the hybrid GX. The hybrid options on both the Tundra and Tacoma are a step up because the hybrid components are mated to the same engine and give us a moderate boost in HP and torque. Going from 6 cylinders to 4 in the GX just seems like a major downgrade, especially since the overall design is so geared toward performance. And on top of that they gave us that heinous bump in the rear cargo area too? No thanks. I hope they make some major changes for the US debut.
As I recall, without checking the numbers, the 4-banger is really close to the V6 in HP and Torque. However, the smoothness of the V6 cannot be matched with the 4, and that makes it a Lexus. Since I do all my own maintenance, I think the V6 could be a nightmare, tucked under the firewall as it is, including the twin turbos with the electronic waste gates. Of course the battery is placed to avoid any damage off-roading or fording.

As I recall, without checking the numbers, the 4-banger is really close to the V6 in HP and Torque. However, the smoothness of the V6 cannot be matched with the 4, and that makes it a Lexus. Since I do all my own maintenance, I think the V6 could be a nightmare, tucked under the firewall as it is, including the twin turbos with the electronic waste gates. Of course the battery is placed to avoid any damage off-roading or fording.
People are saying its the same powertrain as the land cruiser hybrid, which makes 326 horsepower and 465lb ft.

I dont mind the placement of the battery but I do mind the looks.

I would probably be in a Sequoia right now if it weren't for the morons who placed the battery and mandatory 3rd-row seats in the cargo area. It's like the factory pre-stacked a bunch of permanent crap in your cargo area.

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 6 75.0%
Back