Known GX550 issues in process on my GX550 OT+

sschreib

Jul 31, 2024
Media
Dallas, TX
Just a heads up that I just got my car back (after 10 days) with a huge list of issues resolved or documented to be resolved ASAP. I thought I would share here to potentially help others. I am pretty perfectionist with my cars, so just wanted them to review a lot. :)

1. Brakes - they made the awful scratching sound in reverse with <1000 miles on the car. A Lexus case was created and Lexus approved an updated brake assembly to be installed as replacement. (resolved!)
2. Hood flutter - this is a know issue on earlier GX500s and Lexus is working on a resolve, which will likely be a new hood replacement coming soon. This has been resolved on more recent produced GXs. Dealer thinks something will happen by end of year. (they are asking about how to replace my hood PPF wrap in the process)
3. Driver mirror vibration - at highway speeds the driver mirror vibrates a lot causing a disco ball effect when sun is behind you. (Driver side only). This is know and a replacement assembly is coming soon.
4. Programming windows down and walk-away features - This is just a preference, but they programmed the car so that holding the unlock on fob will roll windows down. They also updated rear gate to only go down after I walk away from the vehicle and not immediately when rear button pressed.
5. Key fob battery - both of my brand new key fob batteries were dead and I was getting "key not found" messages constantly. I didn't think a brand new key would have battery issues, so had them look at it. Turns out there was a large batch of 2024 vehicles (various models) that shipped with bad batteries. They replaced in both fobs and all is great now.
6. Rear seat heaters - on high, you could hardly feel warmth. They tested and had to adjust something and now they work much better.
7. ML Stereo producing almost no bass - I have posted before, but I have a support case open directly with a Case Manager at Lexus and they are still working on an enhancement to produce more bass sound. (no just mid) She updates me regularly but not resolve has been determined yet.

Hope this helps the community. I LOVE my GX so much and knew early production, first year models would have weird issues. This too shall pass...

Attachments

• IMG_3116.jpeg
    IMG_3116.jpeg
    397.2 KB · Views: 65
Interesting that the hood flutter & mirror have corrections coming as my dealer didn’t mention that. They acknowledged the brake issue but said parts weren’t available from Lexus yet

Interesting that the hood flutter & mirror have corrections coming as my dealer didn’t mention that. They acknowledged the brake issue but said parts weren’t available from Lexus yet
The new brake assembly is available, but apparently even the larger dealerships only get a couple a month right now. I lucked out with timing.

My brake noise hasn't happened in a few weeks. I'm at 1700 miles. I noticed the mirror vibration yesterday, but honestly thought it was because it keeps getting popped out in the car wash. Have you noticed the little whistle the mirror makes at low speeds with the driver window down?

Just a heads up that I just got my car back (after 10 days) with a huge list of issues resolved or documented to be resolved ASAP. I thought I would share here to potentially help others. I am pretty perfectionist with my cars, so just wanted them to review a lot. :)

1. Brakes - they made the awful scratching sound in reverse with <1000 miles on the car. A Lexus case was created and Lexus approved an updated brake assembly to be installed as replacement. (resolved!)
2. Hood flutter - this is a know issue on earlier GX500s and Lexus is working on a resolve, which will likely be a new hood replacement coming soon. This has been resolved on more recent produced GXs. Dealer thinks something will happen by end of year. (they are asking about how to replace my hood PPF wrap in the process)
3. Driver mirror vibration - at highway speeds the driver mirror vibrates a lot causing a disco ball effect when sun is behind you. (Driver side only). This is know and a replacement assembly is coming soon.
4. Programming windows down and walk-away features - This is just a preference, but they programmed the car so that holding the unlock on fob will roll windows down. They also updated rear gate to only go down after I walk away from the vehicle and not immediately when rear button pressed.
5. Key fob battery - both of my brand new key fob batteries were dead and I was getting "key not found" messages constantly. I didn't think a brand new key would have battery issues, so had them look at it. Turns out there was a large batch of 2024 vehicles (various models) that shipped with bad batteries. They replaced in both fobs and all is great now.
6. Rear seat heaters - on high, you could hardly feel warmth. They tested and had to adjust something and now they work much better.
7. ML Stereo producing almost no bass - I have posted before, but I have a support case open directly with a Case Manager at Lexus and they are still working on an enhancement to produce more bass sound. (no just mid) She updates me regularly but not resolve has been determined yet.

Hope this helps the community. I LOVE my GX so much and knew early production, first year models would have weird issues. This too shall pass...
Very helpful. Appreciate you taking the time to document and share. I’ll be sure to keep an eye on these items when I get my 2025 OT+. 2nd on the waitlist. Can’t wait. Hope most issues are resolved by then.

A reliable source told me about an email received this week indicates all GX's from this point forward will be fitted with a new roof rack rather than the current wind sail they currently use.

I hope it’s true! Would love to see the Land Cruiser FE version on it. It just looks so much better than the current one which most people are taking off. Sounds like Lexus has gotten the message. They need to get the message about other issues and complaints.

Thank you for sharing these updates! Did the new brake assembly improve the ride quality as it did for sroberts?

Have the same issue on my GX550 OT+ with brakes, ie " Brakes - they made the awful scratching sound in reverse with <1000 miles on the car"
Took vehicle in 10/7- Technician confirmed problem . I was told "a service bulletin is coming soon, fix not available at this time"

I have the brake problem with mine as well - it's been doing it in reverse for most of the vehicle's 10K miles. I talked to my dealer about it, they told me Oct 12th is when the fix is supposed to be out.

Thank you for this information, I will keep an eye out on this things. Will have to go sit in the back seat to check out the heater as I normally don't have passengers back there.

Can you share what dealership acknowledged the hood flutter? Mine is really bad and my dealership and Lexus corporate denied knowing of any hood flutter issues!

My brake noise hasn't happened in a few weeks. I'm at 1700 miles. I noticed the mirror vibration yesterday, but honestly thought it was because it keeps getting popped out in the car wash. Have you noticed the little whistle the mirror makes at low speeds with the driver window down?
The whistle the mirror makes is definitely annoying. I have been playing around with placing my hand in various spots on the mirror to nail down where the whistle is originating from...I think it's from where it pivots on its base to allow folding in. Those two pieces should overlap instead of exposing the small gap between them for air to be forced through.

Thank you, glad I’m not the only one regarding the ML sound system lacking bass

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 19 63.3%
Back