Lexus Dashcam???

My GX 550 Overtrail+ has the dashcam. It hangs down on the drivers side by the rear view mirror. I didn't care for it at first, but now I don't really notice it that much. My experience is that you need to set that up first thing when you get into the vehicle BEFORE you setup Android Auto or Apple Car Play. That way the setup is much easier to get through and you don't have the vehicle doing something while you are trying to connect to the camera. After that it works just fine.

My GX 550 Overtrail+ has the dashcam. It hangs down on the drivers side by the rear view mirror. I didn't care for it at first, but now I don't really notice it that much. My experience is that you need to set that up first thing when you get into the vehicle BEFORE you setup Android Auto or Apple Car Play. That way the setup is much easier to get through and you don't have the vehicle doing something while you are trying to connect to the camera. After that it works just fine.
Does it look like you can move the camera to the passenger side of the rear view mirror instead of the drivers side?

I don't know to be honest. It sticks down a little bit further than this one, but it's the same idea. Not having wired it in myself I really am not sure if it could be moved or not

1718915379527.png

My Overtail came with the dashcam as a port installed option. The dealer wanted $1295. I told them to remove it or it was a deal breaker. They offered to remove it for $300. I said no. They made a service appointment for me and removed it at no cost.

I am recently retired from law enforcement - in my opinion the dashcam blocks the view of the driver and is illegal in California, where I live. I am not sure about other states, but in California you cannot even have anything hanging from the rear view mirror. I discussed this with the sales manager and he did not disagree.

Anyone on here attempted removing the integrated dash cam by them selves yet? The thing just hangs down too low in my opinion and kinda seems like an afterthought rather than a thought out design.

Also, it looks like there are already two cameras that are front facing- 1 on the front grille and 1 behind the windshield (backside of rearview mirror assembly)

Last edited:
Anyone on here attempted removing the integrated dash cam by them selves yet? The thing just hangs down too low in my opinion and kinda seems like an afterthought rather than a thought out design.

Also, it looks like there are already two cameras that are front facing- 1 on the front grille and 1 behind the windshield (backside of rearview mirror assembly)
I just got my GX550 and the DASHCAM is driving me crazy. Did you ever remove it?
Thanks, Dave

I just got my GX550 and the DASHCAM is driving me crazy. Did you ever remove it?
Thanks, Dave
I had the dealer remove my dashcam. There is a clip/plug that connects under headliner by the windshield. The cord is approximately 8-10" long. There is an indentation left in my headliner where the cord was removed. It is hard to see unless you are looking for it. I personally would not attempt to remove it myself - if there is any damage to your headliner from removing the dashcam at the dealer I would hold them responsible.

I had the dealer remove my dashcam. There is a clip/plug that connects under headliner by the windshield. The cord is approximately 8-10" long. There is an indentation left in my headliner where the cord was removed. It is hard to see unless you are looking for it. I personally would not attempt to remove it myself - if there is any damage to your headliner from removing the dashcam at the dealer I would hold them responsible.
Thanks! I was looking at the dashcam thinking it would unplug at the dashcam but saw a video that appeared to be hardwired into the cam. If possible I may just try to move it to the passenger side.

Re: removal of dashcam. Well, I am 2 hours away from the dealer which is in Phoenix. I decided to take the dashcam off myself. So here is the process:
1) Grab the rear view mirror top plastic housing above the mirror and yank it forward. It pops right off. Do not yank the mirror!
2) Next you need to pop the overhead center console. Take a trim pry and hook it in one of the rear corners of the overhead console and pry open enough to get your finger started and yank downward. It comes off, no damage to anything.
3) You will see the dashcam cable on the passenger side where the overhead console was (if you have trouble finding it, wiggle the dashcam cable at the dashcam). Unplug the cable and feed it back to the dashcam.
4) The port installers simply clipped the headliner to make an opening to feed the dashcam cable. Carefully thread the cable through.
5) The dashcam itself is clips into a mounting plate which is then taped to the windshield. It is plastic so be careful and use your trim pry bars to fit under the mounting plate and pry the mounting tape holding it on. Work it until you can remove it. Tape adhesive residue can be removed with WD-40 on a paper towel and then clean up with window cleaner.
6) Push the overhead console back in place, make sure all 4 corners snap in. Fit the mirror assembly cover and snap it back in.

Also, someone, somewhere, asked can the dashcam be moved to the passenger side. Well actually the cable is just long enough to reach the drivers side. And the plug for the cable is on the passenger side. So yes, it will physically fit fine, even better! You just need you some new windshield mounting tape for the dashcam mounting plate.

After I had nano ceramic tint added to my windshield, the installers put new tape on the back of the Dashcam plate and left it just hanging for me to adhere once the tint was dry. I pulled the cowling off from around the rear view mirror, unplugged each of 4 plugs one at a time to allow me to move the Dashcam wire to the passenger side, and installed it right up against the mirror housing completely out of the driver's line of sight. It is a welcome change that was much easier than I had anticipated.

Thanks, Dave
Took it in to the Dealer on Saturday and they said “we have to contact Lexus” and that they wouldn’t hear back from them until Monday or Tuesday 🙄😫

I see you took it upon yourself tho.. so I will most likely follow your post. Thanks!

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 10 66.7%
Back