🛠️ Member Build Mounting traction boards to factory cross bars?

�Member Build

nopantz

Aug 14, 2024
Media
Colorado
I succeeded, but don’t think I like it.

this ALL-TOP Recovery Traction Boards,... Amazon.com
Plus this
Plus a home depot run

As you can see, it sits high, now about 84.5”, close to the 86” limit on the local carwash. Maybe its too risky to use anyway - might get snagged??

The crossbars are 26” spacing and are not adjustable, so I had to fab an offset to use with the 24” mounting holes.

Also, the stupid rubber strip on the bottom of the cross bars inhibit a good clamping. Between that and the noise, I’m starting to think they are just for show.

Should I ditch them and get a proper roof rack? I’d like to add Kuat Grip 6 ski mounts in a few months…

IMG_1856.jpegIMG_1854.jpegIMG_1855.jpegIMG_1857.jpeg

Nice adapting. I had assumed the OEM crossbars could be slid back and forth for spread adjustment. What is it about the way they are attached that prevents that?

I succeeded, but don’t think I like it.

this ALL-TOP Recovery Traction Boards,... Amazon.com
Plus this
Plus a home depot run

As you can see, it sits high, now about 84.5”, close to the 86” limit on the local carwash. Maybe its too risky to use anyway - might get snagged??

The crossbars are 26” spacing and are not adjustable, so I had to fab an offset to use with the 24” mounting holes.

Also, the stupid rubber strip on the bottom of the cross bars inhibit a good clamping. Between that and the noise, I’m starting to think they are just for show.

Should I ditch them and get a proper roof rack? I’d like to add Kuat Grip 6 ski mounts in a few months…

View attachment 3192View attachment 3193View attachment 3194View attachment 3195
IMO yes much to high

Nice adapting. I had assumed the OEM crossbars could be slid back and forth for spread adjustment. What is it about the way they are attached that prevents that?
I read they weren’t adjustable, but I tried anyway. Here is the page from the manual. I loosened the bars anyway and could feel the pin keeping the bars in place. IMG_1859.jpeg

Next I'm wondering if the pins could be ground off. That is, if the clamping mechanism is firm enough. The universal clamps from Rhino Rack for their cross bars just use screw compression clamping to hang on.

Next I'm wondering if the pins could be ground off. That is, if the clamping mechanism is firm enough. The universal clamps from Rhino Rack for their cross bars just use screw compression clamping to hang on.
That would help to remove the offset bracket, but the real challenge is the height IMO.

I can probably reduce 3-6" with a proper roof rack, but some of them require removal of the rails. The factory doesn't but suffers from wind/cost.

Does Rhino have universal clamps that work with a rack like this that will sit low/quiet? https://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Rack/...sEfiQ4D-_Cp56Y_Uk3JLhvPjVOywDrUAaAoJgEALw_wcB

How do these roof racks work with the moonroof??

All good questions. But I don't have any experience with low profile racks. I only use crossbars on my vehicles for everything I want to mount on the roof.

Always use a cargo carrier and I want the moonroof to clear it so height works for me. Traction boards would be dwarfed by my cargo carrier, so for me, I like what you did. I am pragmatic. Not fashionable.

What I want to do is shift the front cross bar as far forward as the rails will allow in order to get access to my side opening cargo carrier while standing on the rear door sill. I'm short and not interested in stepping up higher on the tire or door hinge step accessory.

What you did looks a little like poking the sky but mine won't be so noticeable beside the cargo box.

I always just lash down my traction boards with cinch straps. The mounting pins are great but then you have these 4 pins sticking up several inches (or more in your case) all the damn time. I'm all about keeping a low profile.

These are the straps I use - they have buckle straps as opposed to hooks and the ratcheting mechanism. Very compact and convenient.
I have a pair dedicated to the traction boards.

1" x 12' Lashing Tie-Down Straps

1725642588871.png

Reactions: MJE
I always just lash down my traction boards with cinch straps. The mounting pins are great but then you have these 4 pins sticking up several inches (or more in your case) all the damn time. I'm all about keeping a low profile.

These are the straps I use - they have buckle straps as opposed to hooks and the ratcheting mechanism. Very compact and convenient.
I have a pair dedicated to the traction boards.

1" x 12' Lashing Tie-Down Straps

View attachment 3211
Makes sense for the full roof rack. But, how would you lash them down to 1 or 2 crossbars spaced 26" that run side to side?

I use Gotreads and I don't see any neat way to lash them to cross bars...... unless, maybe I can find a nice, stiff piece of grating to support them through the span and leave them opened up and long.

Otherwise I guess they will go in a bag up in the cargo carrier with tents and gear. Not ideal. Perhaps recovery boards beget the evolution of platform racks.

I think I found it This mounting plate is 36.75 inches long and costs $200. It will span or run with cross bars.

That mounting plate would work, but man the accessories are expensive - they are the major profit center for all these off road items.

I'd just lash them directly on top of the cross bars. Maybe cut up an old bike innertube and lay the rubber between the crossbars and the traction boards so they don't scrape the crossbars or slide around, and dampen vibrations a bit (if any of this matters). I put at least one run of the strap through the grab handles so that the board really can't escape. See my crude 3rd-grade drawing below. The red Xs are get rid of the high mounts (return for refund). The yellow lines are line up the grab handles with the cross bars as best you can (they actually line up pretty well). The orange is my attempt at drawing a lashing strap. It's low tech, low on the rack, sleek, cheap, not very impressive to the Transformers Overlanding Zombie Killers, but it works. You'll likely never touch the traction boards and they can stay up there safe & sound during your off-road trips...but they are there just in case.

crude.jpg

Here's what I mean about routing the strap through the grab handles - see the little orange dots tracing out the path of the strap.

crude2.jpg

That mounting plate would work, but man the accessories are expensive - they are the major profit center for all these off road items.

I'd just lash them directly on top of the cross bars. Maybe cut up an old bike innertube and lay the rubber between the crossbars and the traction boards so they don't scrape the crossbars or slide around, and dampen vibrations a bit (if any of this matters). I put at least one run of the strap through the grab handles so that the board really can't escape. See my crude 3rd-grade drawing below. The red Xs are get rid of the high mounts (return for refund). The yellow lines are line up the grab handles with the cross bars as best you can (they actually line up pretty well). The orange is my attempt at drawing a lashing strap. It's low tech, low on the rack, sleek, cheap, not very impressive to the Transformers Overlanding Zombie Killers, but it works. You'll likely never touch the traction boards and they can stay up there safe & sound during your off-road trips...but they are there just in case.

View attachment 3217
Interesting- maybe rubber shelf/drawer liner to keep them in place.

I don’t really expect to use them - just for emergency, which is why I got cheaper ones.

After you spend an hour or two digging yourself out of deep sand or gravel, you'll appreciate having them on hand for the next trip. I got stuck in deep sand and had to dig forever. I bought the traction boards immediately after and had to use them less than a year later. One of the problems with off-roading in the desert is that there often isn't a solid anchor to winch from.

Ok this might help. Replace roof rails with low profile Westcott rack. No drilling . All holes same. Like a tinker toy weighs only about 60#. Has 9 cross bars so plenty of options. I left 1 out and moonroof has clear view. The height is same as the OEM roof rails. You could just strap them onto top of rails without special equipment. Hope this helps

Attachments

• IMG_4413.jpeg
    IMG_4413.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4416.jpeg
    IMG_4416.jpeg
    426.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4468.jpeg
    IMG_4468.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 27

GX550 Poll

• Eco