New Toyota Recalled Announced: 2023 Tundra & Lexus LX vehicles

Thanks for the YouTube suggestion. I watched the video regarding his daughter’s new car oil changes and it’s “old school” version of changing oil especially during the break in period. Already changed my oil at 1200 miles and will do it again at 5K miles to play it safe. Also the new engine takes more oil than past models, 7.7 quarts.

Just changed my oil at 600 miles, using oem filters and oil until out of warranty. Oil change not too bad, the skid plate took a little time to figure out right way to remove. Next oil change at 5k.

Just changed my oil at 600 miles, using oem filters and oil until out of warranty. Oil change not too bad, the skid plate took a little time to figure out right way to remove. Next oil change at 5k.
I’m going to verify if my oil was replaced (by the dealer) with a Toyota product and not another brand of oil from a drum such as Valvoline or Mobil. I have always used Castrol in my high performance cars so I’m fine with that product. I will be upset if a Toyota product was not used based on the cost of the oil change.

Does the GX use a spin on oil filter or a cartridge where you just replace the filter element? I don't have my GX yet (it'll be a while) but was just wondering.

Does the GX use a spin on oil filter or a cartridge where you just replace the filter element? I don't have my GX yet (it'll be a while) but was just wondering.
Uses a spin on filter Toyota part # 90915-10010.

I have a 2017 tundra and the tool that I use to remove the filter element housing fits the spin on filter perfectly.

Oil change procedure same as new gen tundra. I like the little catch pan under the oil filter that you attach a length of 5/8 tubing so nothing spills out when you remove the filter.

Reactions: JPE
Uses a spin on filter Toyota part # 90915-10010.

I have a 2017 tundra and the tool that I use to remove the filter element housing fits the spin on filter perfectly.

Oil change procedure same as new gen tundra. I like the little catch pan under the oil filter that you attach a length of 5/8 tubing so nothing spills out when you remove the filter.
Nice - I also like that catch pan under the filter that you can attach a piece of hose to to prevent the mess. My only complaint with the Tundra is that I'm old school and like having the filter mounted on the bottom instead of the side so I can pre-fill the oil filter. But that's just because I was taught to do that many many many years ago. I imagine in reality that it takes less time for the oil pump to fill up the filter than it does for the engine to fire when cranked. :)

Nice - I also like that catch pan under the filter that you can attach a piece of hose to to prevent the mess. My only complaint with the Tundra is that I'm old school and like having the filter mounted on the bottom instead of the side so I can pre-fill the oil filter. But that's just because I was taught to do that many many many years ago. I imagine in reality that it takes less time for the oil pump to fill up the filter than it does for the engine to fire when cranked. :)
Yes I agree, I tried flooring the accelerator pedal for a flooded condition to prime the oil filter but it started normally, but pressure built quickly anyway.

I am hoping that the oil change after the 600 mile break-in will help. Probably more piece of mind for me with the current recall going on. Every little bit helps I guess, cleans out the break in material suspended in the oil that did not get trapped in the filter.

This is my retirement vehicle, so I am doing eveything I can to get off on the right foot. Most expensive vehicle I have ever purchased, it was tough writing a check for 99K but no car payments.

Yes I agree, I tried flooring the accelerator pedal for a flooded condition to prime the oil filter but it started normally, but pressure built quickly anyway.

I am hoping that the oil change after the 600 mile break-in will help. Probably more piece of mind for me with the current recall going on. Every little bit helps I guess, cleans out the break in material suspended in the oil that did not get trapped in the filter.

This is my retirement vehicle, so I am doing eveything I can to get off on the right foot. Most expensive vehicle I have ever purchased, it was tough writing a check for 99K but no car payments.
My plan is also that it will be my retirement vehicle, should arrive mid-August or so.

I wonder if just pulling the fuel injector fuse (assuming there's an EFI fuse) and cranking a bit would work.

Need doesn't really allow me to wait too long. What I have been able to do is push out my allocation assignment (hence build date) as needed while still keeping my "spot in line". Waiting to hear more out of Toyota before I pull the trigger.

What is the actual repair for this? The bulletin doesn't say. An oil and filter change?
The repair hasn't been announced yet. It could be anything from an oil test to determine if the vehicle is affected and short block replacement for affected vehicles all the way up to complete partial engine assemblies ("partial engine assembly" is a Toyota term for the entire engine including turbos) for all vehicles. We just don't know yet because the first stage of the recall is the announcement and those do not include the fix.

I figured I'd bump this thread because yesterday Toyota announce the repair for the recall is going to be the replacement of the entire engine. Ouch, that's going to cost Toyota a LOT, but it is the right thing to do.

I figured I'd bump this thread because yesterday Toyota announce the repair for the recall is going to be the replacement of the entire engine. Ouch, that's going to cost Toyota a LOT, but it is the right thing to do.

Do you have a link or document by chance?

Do you have a link or document by chance?

Note the following text:
For all involved vehicles, Toyota and Lexus dealers will replace the engine with a new one at no cost to customers.

Potential V35A bearing issue also on the 550

Is it possible to determine a date that would suggest (with reasonable logic) any V35A engines produced after this time would have been done using whatever correction Toyota has made? I am assuming once they announced the recall, engines after that time would not have the potential problem? Just trying to get more confidence that GX's arriving latter this year will be free of the bearing issue.

Potential V35A bearing issue also on the 550

Is it possible to determine a date that would suggest (with reasonable logic) any V35A engines produced after this time would have been done using whatever correction Toyota has made? I am assuming once they announced the recall, engines after that time would not have the potential problem? Just trying to get more confidence that GX's arriving latter this year will be free of the bearing issue.
Watch this video from the 16:00 mark - there's a good chance that any engines built on or after Feb. 2024 are OK. Note, this is certainly not proof, but it's a reasonable assumption:

Watch this video from the 16:00 mark - there's a good chance that any engines built on or after Feb. 2024 are OK. Note, this is certainly not proof, but it's a reasonable assumption:

Thanks very much, I appreciate the info and it sounds good. It would also really be great if Lexus would step up and make a statement. There is no "good" reason to remain silent. Thanks again

Reactions: JPE

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%