Overtrail/Overtrail+ Question

houstongx

Jul 20, 2024
Media
Houston, Texas
Hello Everyone--I am on the waitlist for an Overtrail + in the Houston area and wanted to check with current GX 550 owners for feedback on a few things:
1. For those in hot climates, is the lack of ceiling vents noticeable or not (in the second row)?
2. Would you recommend the Lexus rock rails? Is it usable as a side step or mainly for protection only?
3. If anyone drove both a Premium Plus and an Overtrail, could you provide your driving impressions?

I am very excited for my GX 550 to arrive. Good luck to all!

Reactions: MJE
Hi and welcome to the forum!

1) I have an OT. I didn't sit in the back but I did ask the kids (teenagers) before and they were absolutely fine. I asked them because I was reading about some complaining about weak AC.
2) No experience with the GX550 rock rails, sorry.
3) I drove both models, I actually drove two different OT and one Prem+. I did so because I felt a little bumpy ride with the OT but it turned out that they all had a comparable feel. In fact, the OT was a little better overall despite the more aggressive tires. I guess the higher walls help. In terms of driving impressions, they felt the same to me.

I hope this helps. Good luck!!

Have the rock rails. Great for what I was looking for which is the 4x4 look and lightweight vehicle protection for the forest service roads that I like. But they make a sorry step. Not that kind of thing at all.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

1) I have an OT. I didn't sit in the back but I did ask the kids (teenagers) before and they were absolutely fine. I asked them because I was reading about some complaining about weak AC.
2) No experience with the GX550 rock rails, sorry.
3) I drove both models, I actually drove two different OT and one Prem+. I did so because I felt a little bumpy ride with the OT but it turned out that they all had a comparable feel. In fact, the OT was a little better overall despite the more aggressive tires. I guess the higher walls help. In terms of driving impressions, they felt the same to me.

I hope this helps. Good luck!!
Thank you CCTX! Very helpful!

Hello Everyone--I am on the waitlist for an Overtrail + in the Houston area and wanted to check with current GX 550 owners for feedback on a few things:
1. For those in hot climates, is the lack of ceiling vents noticeable or not (in the second row)?
2. Would you recommend the Lexus rock rails? Is it usable as a side step or mainly for protection only?
3. If anyone drove both a Premium Plus and an Overtrail, could you provide your driving impressions?

I am very excited for my GX 550 to arrive. Good luck to all!
I have an Overtrail and I can only answer the first question. Yes, the ceiling vents are notably missing, and the backseat gets warm on hot days. I ended up getting all the windows tinted with nano ceramic film to help keep it cooler inside and that has made a big difference.

The rock rails were… shorter than expected. I was hoping it would have better coverage over the length of the vehicle. Won’t work as a step. If you are looking for rock rails with kick out, wait for someone like Westcott Designs to release theirs. Not sure if their LC250 rock rails would be a direct fit.

Hi. My Overtrail is supposed to arrive next month. Has the rock rails as a $900 PIO. Should I try to delete which if allowed will leave the standard running boards and then order Wescott rock rails which also serve as a step? Their website offers different options as to steel and welding which are Greek to me? Same as to zero or 20 degree offset, what do folks recommend? I won’t be doing heavy duty rock crawling but will be on rugged (and washed out) gravel “roads” in northern Vermont. Thanks!

Hi. My Overtrail is supposed to arrive next month. Has the rock rails as a $900 PIO. Should I try to delete which if allowed will leave the standard running boards and then order Wescott rock rails which also serve as a step? Their website offers different options as to steel and welding which are Greek to me? Same as to zero or 20 degree offset, what do folks recommend? I won’t be doing heavy duty rock crawling but will be on rugged (and washed out) gravel “roads” in northern Vermont. Thanks!
FWIW I find the running boards to be perfect on my OT+.

Omit the rock rails. They are not useful as steps. Running boards come standard. Then you can swap out to an aftermarket rock rail that's more of a step. Several on the market already.

Omit the rock rails. They are not useful as steps. Running boards come standard. Then you can swap out to an aftermarket rock rail that's more of a step. Several on the market already.
This is what I came down to. My wife will probably need to use them as a step, but I want the protection. I’ll use the money I save and get a better aftermarket set that offers more protection and a step.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comfort

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Normal

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)