🛠️ Member Build Overtrail Updgrades

�Member Build
I didn't realize that you are in Del Mar. I'm in Mission Beach for the week, probably about 20 miles from you!

I grew up there. Spent all my days surfing in PB. If you have time pop on up. I would love to see your Truck and thanks for all your help with your postings. Text or call 512-413-1001

@Bluegill Your truck looks great, and I am grateful for you sharing all of the details on your build as you go

I was just about to pull the trigger on the Westcott lift when I reached out to my tire shop to ask about install. He told me to call a mutual friend of ours and ask him about his Westcott lift for feedback. I called Sean and asked him about the Westcott TRD Preload Collar Lift Kit he had put on his 2024 Tundra and how, if at all, it had changed the ride. His reply, "It'll make you want to cuss a preacher. On the highway and interstate, it does fine, but around town, it'll rattle the teeth out of your head and make you want to cuss a preacher."

I've never cussed a preacher and certainly don't want to begin, but I wanted to reach out and see if perhaps you experience anything remotely close to his experience on your gx, to this point.

Would you tell me a little more about what you have noticed around town and at highway speeds, please?

I am Land Cruiser owner (80 locked, 100 and 62) and am used to the way built trucks ride, but in taking delivery of my GX next month, I am hoping to not duplicate that on my new truck.

Thank you in advance for your thought and consideration to my question.

-Chip

Not sure what to tell you, other than the ride is as good or better after the Westcott pre-load collar lift and wheels and tires. I actually think it rides smoother over pavement irregularities, expansion joints, speed bumps, etc.

Every time we are in the truck, my wife comments on how smooooth "our" new truck rides. She said the same before the lift & tires and she says the same still now. We just drove 400 miles to San Diego from Scottsdale on Saturday and we enjoyed every minute of it. She drives a Mercedes SUV. My last truck was a top-of-the-line 2013 Land Rover LR4 with the air suspension and the GX rides better, which surprised the hell out of me.

I'm riding on Load Range C, 35x12.5x17 Toyo Open Country AT3 tires. For the first time in all my truck builds, I decided not to go with Load Range E because I will probably never tow with this truck. I'm sure Load Range C vs E this helps the ride.

edit: It's probably important to note that my wife did NOT even notice the lift, wheels, and tires. That tells you how much the ride is NOT changed. I only told her I was taking it to Westcott for the roof rack! My 5-year-old spilled the beans on the way to San Diego...."Did Mommy notice your new wheels and tires yet?"

Last edited:
P.S. I tried to fall in love with the Tundra last year as I searched for an alternative to the LR4. Unfortunately the Tundra rides like a pickup truck, which means it rides like sh*t. I also drove a new Tundra with a 6" lift (Icon, I believe) and 37s and it was fun, but still drove like a pickup.

Any chance I can check out the Wescott roof rack in person while you are in town? :)
To both hciing and S Suber:

What are you thinking as far as timing? We have a townhouse one block back from the beach (ocean side), about 10 blocks south of Pacific Beach drive.

As we are on vacation, we have no real schedule. Heading to the beach in a bit. We leave Saturday morning. Friday I'm connecting with an old Land Rover buddy who just bought a Grenadier. Let me coordinate our meet up location and time and maybe I can work in a meet with you guys too.

Does anyone know an easy way to order another color of the 4 trim pieces along the top? I want this color grey matte, but mine currently has glossy black. The parts guy at Lexus looked at me crazy. I am about to color change the car via PPF wrap, but want the other color trim to make it pop better. Thoughts anyone?

Attachments

• 2024-07-31_09-40-54.jpg
    2024-07-31_09-40-54.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 63
Not sure what to tell you, other than the ride is as good or better after the Westcott pre-load collar lift and wheels and tires. I actually think it rides smoother over pavement irregularities, expansion joints, speed bumps, etc.

Every time we are in the truck, my wife comments on how smooooth "our" new truck rides. She said the same before the lift & tires and she says the same still now. We just drove 400 miles to San Diego from Scottsdale on Saturday and we enjoyed every minute of it. She drives a Mercedes SUV. My last truck was a top-of-the-line 2013 Land Rover LR4 with the air suspension and the GX rides better, which surprised the hell out of me.

I'm riding on Load Range C, 35x12.5x17 Toyo Open Country AT3 tires. For the first time in all my truck builds, I decided not to go with Load Range E because I will probably never tow with this truck. I'm sure Load Range C vs E this helps the ride.

edit: It's probably important to note that my wife did NOT even notice the lift, wheels, and tires. That tells you how much the ride is NOT changed. I only told her I was taking it to Westcott for the roof rack! My 5-year-old spilled the beans on the way to San Diego...."Did Mommy notice your new wheels and tires yet?"
Thank you for your insight! I think I will go on and order it and take a chance. If you start to experience anything like that, please let us know!
-Chip

Thank you for your insight! I think I will go on and order it and take a chance. If you start to experience anything like that, please let us know!
-Chip
Cool! For the record, I am NOT affiliated with Westcott in any way, shape, or form, other than I had them install their lift and rack and Method wheels and Toyo tires on my truck. I like to pass along good referrals. They people at Westcott seem like good people and they are incredibly knowledgeable. They make all their parts in-house in Phoenix, Arizona. The fact that they are about 18 miles from house didn't hurt either. Please tell them that Bill Gill spoke highly of them!

Cool! For the record, I am NOT affiliated with Westcott in any way, shape, or form, other than I had them install their lift and rack and Method wheels and Toyo tires on my truck. I like to pass along good referrals. They people at Westcott seem like good people and they are incredibly knowledgeable. They make all their parts in-house in Phoenix, Arizona. The fact that they are about 18 miles from house didn't hurt either. Please tell them that Bill Gill spoke highly of them!
All good! When I called yesterday I told them all the good juju you were putting out on the forum and he said he “really appreciated you guys”!

i have them, they are overlay, they go on top of your silver lettering.

they feel like its worth less than $5
I got them in the mail today and I installed them. They DEFINITELY cost less than 5$ to make. I bet it’s 10 cents to make one letter and I paid 140$. That said it transforms the back. The chrome is kind of ugly when everything else is blacked out. So I’ll take it in the chin as it’s still worth it.

I finally put my shade canopy on the side. I bought this canopy 2 years ago for my LR4 but I could never figure out a good way to mount the canopy to the tubular Terrafirma roof rack I had on the LR4. Mounting was easy on this Westcott rack. I'll take some picks tomorrow of what I think is a rather clever mounting setup.

canopy.JPG

Here’s a question

Do you need to do a front end alignment with the Wescott spacer lift after install? I got mine arriving this week and will be running a 285/70/18 falken at4 on stock ot+ wheels with a 1” spacer

Here’s a question

Do you need to do a front end alignment with the Wescott spacer lift after install? I got mine arriving this week and will be running a 285/70/18 falken at4 on stock ot+ wheels with a 1” spacer
Yes. Westcott did this for me at their shop as part of the installation. You'll definitely need to take it an alignment shop.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)