Premium plus or Overtrail

Daniel

Sep 15, 2024
New York City
Hi,
First time posting. My name is Dan, I’m currently driving a TRD Pro 4Runner and looking to purchase a new 4 wheel drive. I was first interested in the Land Cruiser but have since fallen for the GX 550.
I was hoping someone could help me out. I primarily drive in the city but during the summers I do like to 4 wheel drive on the beach - just a few weeks out of the year. I’m interested in purchasing premium plus but not sure if that is the correct choice for driving on the beach.. Any thoughts? Do I need the overtrail or would the premium suffice? Any input would be much appreciated!
Thanks!
Dan

I think you have a pretty good frame of reference, are you using the TRD Pro to the limits and wish it was more capable? If so the OT is likely what you want. If you feel like the TRD Pro is overkill and wish it had better on road manners or a third row, then the Premium+ is the way to go. The Premium+ is still a very capable off roader particularly if you swap out tires.

I have an Overtrail. Not to bias you, here’s an idea. Buy a set of 18” Toyos ($1200-$1500- plus shipping) from one of these Overtrail guys who bought bigger tires and a decent air compressor. Would that get ‘ya through the sand?

I think you have a pretty good frame of reference, are you using the TRD Pro to the limits and wish it was more capable? If so the OT is likely what you want. If you feel like the TRD Pro is overkill and wish it had better on road manners or a third row, then the Premium+ is the way to go. The Premium+ is still a very capable off roader particularly if you swap out tires.
You’ve answered my question! Thank you. I enjoy 4 wheel driving on the beach and that’s the extent of it. But I mostly drive in NYC and highways so I’m looking for more style and comfort. Great to hear that the premium can handle minor trips on the beach! Thanks so much for the feedback!

I have an Overtrail. Not to bias you, here’s an idea. Buy a set of 18” Toyos ($1200-$1500- plus shipping) from one of these Overtrail guys who bought bigger tires and a decent air compressor. Would that get ‘ya through the sand?
I bet it would! And more understated which I like

Hi,
First time posting. My name is Dan, I’m currently driving a TRD Pro 4Runner and looking to purchase a new 4 wheel drive. I was first interested in the Land Cruiser but have since fallen for the GX 550.
I was hoping someone could help me out. I primarily drive in the city but during the summers I do like to 4 wheel drive on the beach - just a few weeks out of the year. I’m interested in purchasing premium plus but not sure if that is the correct choice for driving on the beach.. Any thoughts? Do I need the overtrail or would the premium suffice? Any input would be much appreciated!
Thanks!
Dan
Welcome Dan.

You’ve answered my question! Thank you. I enjoy 4 wheel driving on the beach and that’s the extent of it. But I mostly drive in NYC and highways so I’m looking for more style and comfort. Great to hear that the premium can handle minor trips on the beach! Thanks so much for the feedback!
If it’s just the beach I’m sure that any of these trims are good (with better tires). That said for comfort, the AVS might make a bigger difference with the NyC roads (I hate the LIE). For the AVS I believe you need to get the overtrail or step up to lux+.

This. If your use case is highway most of the time and an occasional off road adventure and you are not going to rock climb, Premium Plus will be more practical. Switch to a set of 18" wheels and tire combo with enough sidewall to allow you to air down sufficiently for the beach (10-15psi?). The 20" tires on Premium plus might be too low profile.

I went with a Premium Plus and will have one or two separate sets of 18" wheels - one for snow and one for off road. Similar situation to you, mostly highway, daily and snow/ski and family hauler. I don't need eKDSS but I wished the Premium trim had the rear locker of the Overtrail for when I need it. Too many compromises with Overtrail - no third row seats, no overhead ventilation vents, no separate HVAC controls for rear passengers even on the OT+ trim. But if you need rear lockers, e-KDSS and more room for storage, the Overtrail might work. As is, the GX550 premium trim without kdss already has more articulation than my previous GX460 with hydraulic KDSS.

I was also cross shopping LC250 but went with GX550. If your use is on road most of the time, the GX550 might be the better choice, stronger V6 engine, acoustic glass, smoother ride. Only downside is it will probably be more expensive to maintain long term vs LC250.

This. If your use case is highway most of the time and an occasional off road adventure and you are not going to rock climb, Premium Plus will be more practical. Switch to a set of 18" wheels and tire combo with enough sidewall to allow you to air down sufficiently for the beach (10-15psi?). The 20" tires on Premium plus might be too low profile.

I went with a Premium Plus and will have one or two separate sets of 18" wheels - one for snow and one for off road. Similar situation to you, mostly highway, daily and snow/ski and family hauler. I don't need eKDSS but I wished the Premium trim had the rear locker of the Overtrail for when I need it. Too many compromises with Overtrail - no third row seats, no overhead ventilation vents, no separate HVAC controls for rear passengers even on the OT+ trim. But if you need rear lockers, e-KDSS and more room for storage, the Overtrail might work. As is, the GX550 premium trim without kdss already has more articulation than my previous GX460 with hydraulic KDSS.

I was also cross shopping LC250 but went with GX550. If your use is on road most of the time, the GX550 might be the better choice, stronger V6 engine, acoustic glass, smoother ride. Only downside is it will probably be more expensive to maintain long term vs LC250.
Say more on why the GX will be more expensive to maintain than the LC? Just Lexus up charge? Less GXs on the road?

Say more on why the GX will be more expensive to maintain than the LC? Just Lexus up charge? Less GXs on the road?
The twin turbo V6 is a complicated engine and would require more maintenance down the road. You can look up reviews online, one good example - look up Car Care Nut on youtube. With more hp, you are also probably going to need new tires and brakes more frequently. Servicing cost is probably comparable to the LX570/ LX600 which is on the higher side for a Lexus (other than their exotics)

Some would argue that the LC250 has a hybrid battery but the 4 cylinder turbo will be easier and cheaper to service. Toyota's hybrids are very reliable and replacement batteries are not that expensive, you could also go third party if needed, but that's probably 7-10 years down the road.

As for Lexus servicing cost, since it's a Toyota, you do not need to take it to a Lexus dealership. It can be serviced at a Toyota dealership for less or even at an independent mechanic. If you haven't serviced a vehicle at a Lexus dealership, it's an experience. You pay more but your spouse gets free manicures, etc. :) Their customer service levels are exceptional, much better experience compared to the German marques, except for Porsche. This is from our own experience owning both Lexus and German cars.

I would think it’s the Lexus up charge. Still not as bad as some of the German brands. It was $1000 for an oil change on my Macan. lol.
Ouch! Do you change oil at 3,000 or 5,000 miles intervals? If I recall, oil change at Lexus for our GX460 (4.6 V8) was less than $ 200 and you normally won't be hit with unexpected wear and tear items except maybe for tires and brakes after 20-30k miles. Contrast to the German cars, better check your bank balance before you book the service appointment lol.

Hi,
Thanks!
Dan
Don’t judge. ;-D
I bought the Overtrail + because it was the only one that came in the Earth color. 😂
(Oh yeah, and had AVS)
That probably doesn’t help you though. LOL

Last edited:

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 6 75.0%