Pulled the trigger

coffeecigars

Aug 4, 2024
Media
Found a GX550 overtrail
Black no sunroof , roof rack, HUD display, rock rails,cool box ,traffic assist, all weather Mats , cargo net , key gloves(useless), back cover , blacked out emblems.
Coming from a Land Rover defender 110
That had 71,000 miles on it.
So far all good stuff. Yes storage is limited the cool box is storage don’t see me using. Paid MSRP
So pretty happy
Car was delivered this morning pics attached.
Also I will note I make a living making music and I have the normal sound system and it kicks ! It’s great way way better than Land Rover.

Aa

Attachments

• IMG_5575.jpeg
    IMG_5575.jpeg
    333.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_5573.jpeg
    IMG_5573.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 117
Found a GX550 overtrail
Black no sunroof , roof rack, HUD display, rock rails,cool box ,traffic assist, all weather Mats , cargo net , key gloves(useless), back cover , blacked out emblems.
So far all good stuff. Yes storage is limited the cool box is storage don’t see me using. Paid MSRP
So pretty happy
Also I will note I make a living making music and I have the normal sound system and it kicks ! It’s great way way better than Land Rover.

Aa
Congratulations

I like the black. I don’t know why all Overtrails don’t come with rock rails. Those running boards are too flimsy for off roading

Found a GX550 overtrail
So pretty happy

Aa
Congrats!

Nice Overtrail, very similar spec as mine except mine is white, came with the cross bars and not the big roof rack, came with the trailer hitch ball mount, and no cargo cover.

Seems like OTs all have the "gimme" add-ons such as rock rails, HUD, cool box ,traffic jam assist, all weather rubber mats , cargo net , key gloves, and blacked out emblems. They key gloves are cheap chinese fake leather but they actually fit well and protect the key fob.

I came to the GX from a 2013 Land Rover LR4 that I had built up quite a bit for off road. I'm coming from 25 straight years of driving Land Rovers (a 1996 Discovery and a 2004 Discovery before the LR4). I looked at the new Defender 110s but, to be perfectly honest, I just had my fill with Land Rover's incredibly poor quality after 25 years of dealing with it. My LR4 was a beautiful truck, luxurious, comfortable, great V8 power, incredible off road capability, etc. and it was also an undeniable piece of shit. Could not stay out of the repair shop. Every trip more than 10 miles away from my independent (and expensive) Land Rover mechanic had me sweating bullets. I actually think that I've noticed gray hairs turning back to black after picking up this GX550 in early June.

For this GX I didn't want any roof rack or cross bars (I sold the cross bars and stock roof rails and installed a Westcott rack). I also very specifically didn't want a sunroof because I knew I'd be putting on a full, low rack. Sunroofs in Arizona are a bad idea anyway. The LR4 had 3 sunroofs. Sunroofs on Land Rovers are their way of introducing another way for the trucks to leak.

As far as all the features go, traffic jam assist is a fun gimmick but I sure as hell won't be throwing any money at it after the 3-year trial period ends. I didn't want HUD but good luck finding a truck without it. It's another neat gimmick that isn't needed. The cool box sucks because it takes up so much storage space (this truck is way too short on storage space) but the cool box actually works really well - the cool box in my LR4 barely cooled anything. The rock rails are actually very well made and offer good protection but the moronic committee that designed them made them stick out almost enough to serve as a step but not quite enough. So that's a $990 fail and they will have to be replaced by more expensive aftermarket rock sliders that also have a good place to step. I need steps for my kids to get up into my lifted GX. The blacked-out emblems are ridiculously expensive ($199) for cheap chinese plastic but the chrome looks terrible so what are you going to do? For two hundred bucks they could have at least made real black emblems instead of thin tupperware covers. The cross bars were the best looking OEM cross bars I've ever seen and were definitely functional but also definitely loud on the highway. You're going to find the same issue with that big OEM roof rack. The cargo net was worthless to me so I sold it. The rubber floor mats and cargo mat are the bomb, absolutely perfect.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Coming from a defender 110 with roof rack and ladder with a sunroof I so use to wind noise so this cabin with roof rack feels quiet compared.
Is the one you installed quieter ?
Cool box is storage I can’t imagine cooling a drink but maybe.
Yes sunroof delete was on my list
The rack was more important
I just like to throw things up there.
I did like sunroof for that pop up feature for better wind flow. The best for that was four runner that down window in the back feels amazing when driving
The glass on Lexus is very quiet
The doors don’t feel as heavy duty as Land Rover defender but like you was in the shop way way too much
When I called my insurance company and said I have a new Lexus they said great and lowered my rate by 15 bucks a month. They said Lexus is way easier to fix. Usually a new car raises your rate. I do notice when you put this Lexus in park it moves like an inch. My Land Rover had zero play when you put it in park it stayed in park
White looks great send a pic

I have the Westcott Designs rack. It literally makes no noise whatsoever. On my Rovers I had a Safety Devices full rack (tons of noise), a custom half rack (little noise), and a Terrafirma full rack (some noise but OK with the wind fairing). I couldn't believe that this Westcott rack is so quiet.

2.JPG

Interesting on the cargo net. My wife has used it for groceries and I for other items. It actually works great if you do have things to store and keep from rolling forward. The net is held vertical up next to the gate by 4 hook points and can be accessible with long arms by opening just the glass. Otherwise, we agree that some additional storage would have been welcome.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)