Roughness while idling?

spiderjoe

Aug 25, 2024
Media
Boston MA
Not related to the Overtrail vibration issues, anyone else noticed if you GX550 engine/vehicle vibrates when idling from start? Coming from owning various Lexus V6s close to 20 years - ES300, ES350, RX300, RX350 and also a V8 GX460, I find our GX550 is the most "un-Lexus" like experience while idling - more like a 2.5L 4 cylinder or a diesel. All of our previous Lexus V6 were very smooth when idling. This new one - I can feel the whole vehicle vibrate when idling like it wants to take off.

Most of you would remember this video of the wine glasses?

Not related to the Overtrail vibration issues, anyone else noticed if you GX550 engine/vehicle vibrates when idling from start? Coming from owning various Lexus V6s close to 20 years - ES300, ES350, RX300, RX350 and also a V8 GX460, I find our GX550 is the most "un-Lexus" like experience while idling - more like a 2.5L 4 cylinder or a diesel. All of our previous Lexus V6 were very smooth when idling. This new one - I can feel the whole vehicle vibrate when idling like it wants to take off.

Most of you would remember this video of the wine glasses?

Few questions.

Is it just at a cold startup?
Does it settle down after a minute once it idles down?
Does it happen while stopped in traffic while in gear?

Mine does this as well. I get it at stop light or in traffic. If this was a carbureted engine from the 70s, I would say that the timing was off slightly or there was an issue with the fuel. It's definitely not silky smooth like my RX

Few questions.

Is it just at a cold startup?
Does it settle down after a minute once it idles down?
Does it happen while stopped in traffic while in gear?
It is all of the above. When it's moving, I don't notice it. Probably it's the design and setup of the engine with the BOF chassis. My GX is currently at the dealership for my 1,000 miles oil change and to fix some rattling on the door, I mentioned to them to check on the idling. They will let me know in a few days. Meanwhile I have a brand new RX350 (non hybrid) loaner with a 4 cylinder engine and the RX350 is smooth, none of the vibration on the GX at idling.

I agree the engine note at startup/idle has a distinct sound and feel. All part of this new platform IMHO and “pissing up a rope” trying to trouble shoot.

I was just coming over to put up a post about this. I notice my GX idles "rough" at stop lights or even when in park while sitting. This is after it's warmed up. It's not terrible, but enough that my non-car person wife noticed it on several occasions. The RPMs will kind of go up and down a little as well. Then there are other times I can't tell if it's running or not it's so smooth.

My LR4 did that almost always. I found out it was how they met the fueling/pollution requirements. Not sure this has anything to do with it, but could apply here. I will ask when I get it in for a small list of service items.

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 19 63.3%
Back