Squealing Brakes 550 Overtrail

It's beginning to sound like Lexus/Toyota has started to "cheapen" their product line to help with profits. I hope this isn't so but I also have learned that the new 4Runner doesn't have shock "frame mounted" bump stops any longer. They put the bump stop on the top of the shock. It's getting less rugged. Just like the gas tank size, brakes above, etc....

It's beginning to sound like Lexus/Toyota has started to "cheapen" their product line to help with profits. I hope this isn't so but I also have learned that the new 4Runner doesn't have shock "frame mounted" bump stops any longer. They put the bump stop on the top of the shock. It's getting less rugged. Just like the gas tank size, brakes above, etc....
And the back seat lever that has been breaking.....

I picked up my GX 550 from the dealer yesterday afternoon. I left the car out last night in the mist and fog at the beach. No noise this morning for the first time.

The paperwork said the rotars, calipers, and pads in the front were replaced. Additionally, the complete brake lines were replaced. The rear brakes, including the pads, were not replaced or worked on.

We will see if this fixed the issue long term.

I picked up my GX 550 from the dealer yesterday afternoon. I left the car out last night in the mist and fog at the beach. No noise this morning for the first time.

The paperwork said the rotars, calipers, and pads in the front were replaced. Additionally, the complete brake lines were replaced. The rear brakes, including the pads, were not replaced or worked on.

We will see if this fixed the issue long term.
Told rear fix not available... Yet.. Toyota having same issue with a couple of models

Watching this, my brakes squeak under light application in reverse after sitting for a while. I assumed light rusting which rubs off quickly. We’ll see!

I'm glad we have this forum. I got my OT in May and when I got it home I noticed the brakes squeaking when using them lightly in reverse and a little bit when going slowly forward sometimes too. I figured it would go away once things got worn in a little, but now I'm at 3k miles and last night backing into my garage they were still making squeaking noises. It seems like it is just the driver side front, but it's hard to be sure. My dealer is 2 hours away so I haven't discussed with them yet, but I'll plan to bring it up at my 5k service.

I will say the brakes work amazingly well. I was driving through a neighborhood, only about 20mph, and a small dog ran out from some bushes next to the road right in front of me. So close I barely saw him over the hood. I hit the brakes and stopped soooo fast. In my Tundra the dog would have been dead, so the GX has already saved one life.

I’m in the same annoying boat! Squealing started immediate at pickup and was told it would go away after “breaking in” the brakes. I’m at 700 miles now and still squeals when I reverse. I’ll be doing a 2500 mile trip over the next two weeks. Hoping the squealing will stop when I’m back, but doesn’t sound like it will based on the others. Closely monitoring this as thread as well.

I recorded a video last night to capture the brake squealing sound it makes when backing into my garage. Sometimes it's not too bad, but sometimes it's ridiculous, like this.

Also, at the end you can hear my wife come out of the house to comment on how loud it sounds.

Mine squealed a little bit backing out of my driveway yesterday afternoon. It was 99 degrees with 32% humidity here, which is humid for us but not for the rest of the country.

Before buying my GX550 OT, I was driving my F150 daily and it always embarrassingly squeezed down the driveway in reverse when I applied the brakes to slowly back out. I researched it and the cause was that I parked it outside overnight in a humid environment and water condensed on the brakes. (I live in Houston). I’ve had the GX550 for two weeks and I have the same affect parking it overnight in my driveway after coming home from work at about 7pm.

Two makes/models, same overnight parking, same squeak.
heck.. it must be your driveway..

Performance oriented brake pads will squeal a lot, especially when cold or under very light pedal pressure or very slow speeds. I'm wondering if that could be the issue, and the fix is going to be back toward a lower performance oriented brake pad due to all the complaints. Then all the comments about the GX stopping on a dime may become "this damn GX doesn't stop quick enough" :unsure:

Performance oriented brake pads will squeal a lot, especially when cold or under very light pedal pressure or very slow speeds. I'm wondering if that could be the issue, and the fix is going to be back toward a lower performance oriented brake pad due to all the complaints. Then all the comments about the GX stopping on a dime may become "this damn GX doesn't stop quick enough" :unsure:
I use very little brake pressure.

I do use the paddle shifters approaching all red lights and only brake from 1st or second gear. Have used this method for more than 25-30 years.

Never had to replaced any brake components or had transmission problems.

Hold most vehicles ten years.

Brought my car into the dealer today. They kept it for 5 hours running a variety of tests and recorded a lot of data points. I was told they are aware of the issue but do not have specific guidance on how to remedy it, yet. They will submit their findings to Lexus and wait for a response. I was told they would not proactively contact me but rather I need to contact them next month to see if a fix is available. A bit frustrating but at least everything else is working as it should.

My dealer replaced the entire rear brakes disks, rotars, calipers, pads. My GX brakes make no noise since the repairs and I live at the beach and my GX lives outside. I just left my car outside for two weeks while I was out of town and drove it this morning with no noise. Sounds like your dealer is not being very proactive with your issues.

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 6 75.0%
Back