The New Lexus GX550 Struggles Towing 9,000 Pounds up The World’s Toughest Towing Test!

Pretty disappointing towing performance. Looks like Toyota overstated their towing capacity by a couple thousand pounds. 9000lbs would be under ideal (flat) conditions. Is that pretty common for car manufacturers?

Pretty disappointing towing performance. Looks like Toyota overstated their towing capacity by a couple thousand pounds. 9000lbs would be under ideal (flat) conditions. Is that pretty common for car manufacturers?
They are towing almost 9,000lbs in a mid-sized SUV on a 7% grade at over 9,000ft. Seems more than respectable to me.

Agreed with steveperry, a few weeks back I towed an 18ft utility trailer loaded with our Rzr (probably in the 5500 lb range b/w the trailer and Rzr and gear) in the mountains outside Denver without any struggles at all. Elevation range was 5400 to 9500 ft. It definitely doesn't compare to our towing specific vehicle (3/4 ton diesel), but it was a pleasant experience overall and crushed the uphills even at elevation.

Agreed with steveperry, a few weeks back I towed an 18ft utility trailer loaded with our Rzr (probably in the 5500 lb range b/w the trailer and Rzr and gear) in the mountains outside Denver without any struggles at all. Elevation range was 5400 to 9500 ft. It definitely doesn't compare to our towing specific vehicle (3/4 ton diesel), but it was a pleasant experience overall and crushed the uphills even at elevation.
Likewise, wondering what like of range you're getting while towing. Thanks.

So what kind of range are you getting between fill-ups towing?

Likewise, wondering what like of range you're getting while towing. Thanks.

The trip was mostly through gentle hills and flat terrain and I was getting at 12MPG @ 65MPH (not much wind). I fill up between 160 and 200 miles, depending on how few and far between gas stations are. The gauge shows that you have less range than you really do. When I'm down to almost single digits, I still have like 4 gallons left (not that I play that game with a trailer, at least, not intentionally). Still, I'm paranoid so I stop regularly. That, and I usually need a bathroom or snack or stretch break every 1/2 ~ 3 hours anyway! Pretty much what we dealt with when towing with our LC200 Land Cruiser, just a bit better gas mileage.

Still, if a third party made a larger tank, I wouldn't say no.

This was an extreme towing test - maxing out the towing abilities of the GX. You never tow near the maximum towing rating of a vehicle. I would tow no more than 6-7 thousand pounds with my GX 550 Overtrail. As stated by others, I tow with my diesel 3/4 ton pickup when I tow heavy trailers. With that said - I have towed my tractor with my 24 foot flatbed trailer, weighing around 6500 pounds without a problem, with my GX.

I agree - the GX did well towing uphill. Downhill it performed not so well. Without engine braking or oversized brakes I would not try towing this heavy.

People comparing a mid size luxury SUV to a 3/4 ton need to give their heads a shake.

This is a vehicle that is capable of towing 9000lb in a sea of competitors that struggle pulling anything over 6000lb.

The towing ability of this vehicle is impressive full stop. That doesn’t make it a peterbilt. But it keeps up well to if not exceeding most half tons.

I don’t think the TFLT guys gave the GX a fair shake for how well it did. They even admitted it did a ton better once it was in manual mode, shift programming is a nothing burger.

I like to rely on experience to have an opinion - not ridiculous comments. I have towed numerous trailers with a variety of vehicles - including 3/4 ton diesels. Also a Chevy Tahoe, Suburban, 4Runner, F150, etc. Anyone who actually safely tows knows you never tow near the stated maximum tow capacity of any vehicle. Ignorance makes my head shake!

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 6 75.0%
Back