Window tinting

NashBuyerLX

May 20, 2024
Nashville Tenn
Anybody tint their front windshield on their GX or other cars before? I'm curious what is a good tint % that offers some protection but doesn't make it too dark driving at night, etc.

On all my cars, I opted for 50% on the Windshield. I did use the 80% AIR once but have found that the 50% is best for heat rejection while not impeding night vision.

Front windshield, rear windshield, sunroof - XR Plus 55 or XR Plus 70, or IRX 50 - if you've got bad eye sight maybe you go for Air 80 or Air 90 instead

First Row Seats - XR Plus 30 or IRX 30

Second Row, Third Row - XR Plus 20 or IRX 15

My GX is scheduled for window film and exterior PPF next week. 30% Xpel will be applied to the windshield. The shop owner was wrapping his truck and showed me what 30 looks like on his ride. I’m also getting a 15% band across the top of the windshield. Personally, I like it.

50% Tint would be a good choice as it provides a good balance of UV protection and glare reduction without significantly darkening the view. This is a popular choice for those who want some protection but still need clear visibility.

If I want to match the rear windows, what should I aim for in the front driver and passenger doors?

Not confirmed but usually back windows are around 20%. Most States front windows that dark are technically illegal (in Tennessee where I am 35% is the legal limit for front windows) but it is kind of rarely enforced so most people ignore it.

I did my windshield at 70% and to me that seems like a good option since I don't have the greatest night time vision. I did 30 on the front doors, sunroof and back window, 70 on all the other windows added to the existing 24 that comes on them.

went xr plus 20 on driver/passenger side and 70 front/backside/back. So far it has been great

Attachments

• IMG_3304.jpeg
    IMG_3304.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 76
Stock tinted glass is ~22% so if you get 70% tint it effectively becomes 15% so keep that in mind. I just got mine done with XPel XR Prime Plus
Windshield 45%
Fronts 20%
Rears 70%
IMG_2855.jpeg

IMG_2856.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: MJE
If you do tint your front windshield in Texas, just make sure you don't have too many drinks at dinner. That's easy PC for a rookie cop and you will be standing on one leg on the side of the road.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comfort

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Normal

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)