Back hatch width?

LastBestPlace

Feb 19, 2024
Media
Whitefish, MT
Another member posted super detailed and helpful measurements of the cargo area, but I’m wondering if someone can tell me the width of the rear cargo door/hatch opening? I have a custom dog kennel that is 46” wide at the base and I’m dying to know if it will fit!

I think it's going to be the space between the wheel wells that limits you. Also note the hatch opening tapers a little (becomes narrower, but just a little) towards the top. When I measured the space between the wheel wells in the cargo area at the dealer last weekend I got 44". I have a 22 1/4" wide kennel that I'll be putting next to a 21" wide kennel so it's going to be tight for me but will fit. I don't see how you'll be able to get a 46" wide kennel in the cargo area.

I think it's going to be the space between the wheel wells that limits you. Also note the hatch opening tapers a little (becomes narrower, but just a little) towards the top. When I measured the space between the wheel wells in the cargo area at the dealer last weekend I got 44". I have a 22 1/4" wide kennel that I'll be putting next to a 21" wide kennel so it's going to be tight for me but will fit. I don't see how you'll be able to get a 46" wide kennel in the cargo area.
It was custom made for my Escalade ESV. We have a local guy who can trim the aluminum in the back to fit between the wheel wells, so my only unknown is whether I can fit it through the back hatch. It tapers up to 42” at the top- just the bottom is 46” so that is was I’m concerned about.

Reactions: JPE
IMG_4322.jpeg

Reactions: JPE
It was custom made for my Escalade ESV. We have a local guy who can trim the aluminum in the back to fit between the wheel wells, so my only unknown is whether I can fit it through the back hatch. It tapers up to 42” at the top- just the bottom is 46” so that is was I’m concerned about.
Hopefully someone here that has a new GX can measure the width of the hatch entry - I just got on the waiting list after visiting my dealer last weekend.

Another member posted super detailed and helpful measurements of the cargo area, but I’m wondering if someone can tell me the width of the rear cargo door/hatch opening? I have a custom dog kennel that is 46” wide at the base and I’m dying to know if it will fit!
Let the dog sit in the front with a crate like that must have very big teeth

Won’t be walking on your lawn anytime soon
They both have good guard instincts. But as long as I'm there and friendly with whoever comes up, they're good.

Getting back to GXs, they are why I'm excited about the GX. When I saw the interior pictures I figured there was a chance the back cargo area (Overtrail especially) would be large enough to hold kennels that take up 43" in width, 38" in depth (and to get that measurement I had to have the 2nd row in the most upright seat back position), and 28" tall. I took a tape measure to my dealer and measured the cargo area of the Overtrail demo unit they have before I took it for a test drive.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comfort

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Normal

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)