🛠️ Member Build Overtrail Updgrades

�Member Build
I finally got around to finishing the mounting points for my Ironman 4x4 shade canopy.

I'm not the kind of guy who needs to drive around town looking like I'm ready for the zombie apocalypse to start any minute, with all sorts of shit strapped to my truck, so there was no way I'm leaving the shade canopy on my truck full-time.

So I bought a pair of these quick-release mounting brackets:
Awning Quick Release Mounting Brackets

They advertise them as mounting the male hook piece on your rack and the female piece on the back of the shade canopy but I didn't want those dorky hooks living full time on my rack. The hooks would also stick up a few inches over the top of my rack which wouldn't let me get in my own garage not to mention parking garages around town. So I simply reversed the male & female parts and mounted the hooks on the canopy and the female part on the side of my roof rack.

The two pieces of the brackets are secured with some large swivel hitch pin clips that go through pre-drilled holes in the male & female parts that line up when mounted, but the Iron-man supplied clips touched the white paint on the truck when inserted so I bought some stainless steel straight-pins and separate cotter pins. The rack is very secure and it doesn't rattle. Surprisingly, I couldn't hear any wind noise even on the highway. I'll have to get some pictures of the shade canopy opened up (or "deployed" as the zombie apocalypse overlanders like to say) on my next camping trip. It's still too damn hot here to open it up just for a picture.

Another problem was where to store this long shade canopy when it's not on the truck? I'd typically just lean it up in a corner of my garage but all the corners are already taken up with useless shit. While looking at it on the truck I thought what would be the easiest way to get it on & off and store it and I realized that the perfect solution was to hang it on the ceiling. So a few big hooks went in and now it's easy to just lower it onto the truck and then lift it back up onto the hooks and the canopy is out of everyone's way. Luckily it clears the garage by about a quarter inch. The zippers actually brush the garage door when it's opening and closing.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg

Waiting for my wife to get ready to go out to dinner. Always a good time to get shit done.

Mounted 1 of 2 roof rack grab handles. Nice product, incredibly over-built but probably about as cheap as you could make them too....just milled billet aluminum. My last racks had tubular construction so you could just grab a tube to hoist yourself up. The edge on this thin aluminum Westcott rack is great from a weight-savings perspective (only 46 lbs for the whole rack iirc) but it's not the best for grab and pull yourself up. Especially as I approach my mid-50s and my mid-section is also approaching it's zenith.

Will have to get the passenger side tomorrow.

IMG_0580.jpgIMG_0581.jpgIMG_0582.jpgIMG_0583.jpg

Anyone see any cargo dividers for the back area on OT+? I’m looking for a hard plastic/aluminum divider so my dogs can not jump up from cargo area…

I picked up my Overtrail here in Arizona on June 7, 2024. I had Westcott Designs in Phoenix install their preload collar lift kit, their full length modular roof rack, 17" Method 703 wheels (titanium color, +35mm offset), and Toyo Open Country AT3 tires size 35X12.5R17LT (load range C). I think it turned our great, the ride is great, feels nearly the same as stock, feels a little more supple or softer than stock, and it seems like I can feel a little extra weight or inertia with the wheels & bigger tires. The stock Toyo AT3s are 265/70/18 and they weigh 44 lbs each. The 35s weigh 59 lbs each. Not sure how much the stock 18" wheels weigh compared to the 17" Methods but I'll weigh a stock 18" wheel & tire and figure out the weight of the new Method wheel & tire.

Only other changes are a hood blackout that I had a local wrap shop make for me, a touch screen protector from OCD Plug which is definitely worth it (2024+ Lexus GX 550 | 14" Main Infotainment | Matte/Anti-Glare | Screen), and an iphone wireless charger mounted in that odd space beneath the 12-volt plug (Amazon.com). The screen protector has a bunch of bubbles in the photo below but they all went away after a couple days. There is now no glare or reflection on the screen and no fingerprints. I located the wireless phone charger in this spot so that my phone can sit there and charge and I can still see it if needed (I just used double-sided tape). My truck didn't come with the stock wireless charging pad - I checked into getting the stock charging pad but the tech guy at the dealer said they are way too slow and it's better to just use the USB plugs.

Next upgrades will be rock sliders that also have good running boards so my kids can better climb up into the truck. I have the stock rock rails which are worthless as a step. Westcott Designs is working on rock rail/running boards. There are a few vendors with them already available but I'll wait to see what Westcott has to offer. The Westcott roof rack is incredibly well made and surprisingly cheap at $995. The similar Prinsu rack is $1355 and the Dissent Offroad rack is $1799. I'm hoping that Westcott's sliders are more attractively priced. Dissent's sliders are $1795. NYTOP has sliders for $1400. I also have a 7-foot Ironman 4x4 shade canopy that I'll be mounting to the roof rack.

I do like the NYTOP front bumper at $1200 but I'm waiting to see what winch bumpers come available. I've been building and wheeling Land Rovers for the past 25 years and I like having a winch up front. I'll probably upgrade the rear bumper too but I don't want to get a swing-away tire carrier. I had one for the larger tires on my Land Rover LR4 and the swing-away is a pain in the ass. You end up not putting things in the rear cargo bay because it's a pain to use 2 hands to open the swing-away and then open the hatch. I'll be picking up a cheap Toyota spare wheel that fits the GX550 and I'll mount a cheap spare 33" or 34" tire on it and leave it underneath in the stock location (will have to see what will fit underneath). I'll be mounting an ARB compressor somewhere in the truck so maybe a 34" tire will fit uninflated or underinflated. I'll be selling the full set of stock 18" Overtrail wheels and tires. I also sold the stock Overtrail roof rails and cross bars to a guy with a new Land Cruiser that came with no roof rails or cross bars. The parts are interchangeable - I took detailed measurements of the mounting points on the GX and they exactly match the Land Cruiser.

edited to update Westcott's roof rack price to $995 (not $950)

View attachment 1854

View attachment 1855

View attachment 1856

View attachment 1857

View attachment 1858

View attachment 1861

View attachment 1862
Mate looks great, do you get much tyre scrubbing on the front? Does not look like much room under the front end of the wheel arch when turning or if you are off roading.

Anyone see any cargo dividers for the back area on OT+? I’m looking for a hard plastic/aluminum divider so my dogs can not jump up from cargo area…
I raised the middle head rest and there isn't much room to get over depending on the size of your dog. Ours stayed put.

1725636521140.png

Mate looks great, do you get much tyre scrubbing on the front? Does not look like much room under the front end of the wheel arch when turning or if you are off roading.
No rubbing, I have full turning radius (which is very good for a vehicle this size) and I haven't rubbed anything yet. Going on a 3-day off-road trip next weekend so I'll really work it out then. According to Westcott, NO RUBBING!

Hello, any issues with garage clearance after the lift and 35s? TY
Max height now with the lift and 35s is about 79.25" Even with the Westcott roof rack, the high point is still the shark fin antenna that sticks up a tiny bit (about a sixteenth) over the rack. So assume 79.5", or I just consider it 80" to be safe. I was in a parking garage that said max clearance 80" and I just took it slow. You have to be conscious of your suspension bounce when in a parking garage, especially topping out on ramps....ask me how I know.

IMG_9766.JPG

IMG_9767.JPG

I had to back out of a garage in La Jolla last month!
Hey Bill,
Been an LR4 owner in Phoenix since '10, Poud Rhino sliders, swing out spare tire carrier, lucky 8 spacers with lift and limiting straps, RTT on Front Runner rack, dual battery, Ham radio etc... Thinking of making the leap to the Overtrail. Thought about the Defender but feel the Lexus would be a better fit now. Your experience with the Overtrail compared to the LR4 (I still have mine) both offroad and on?
Thanks

Hey Bill,
Been an LR4 owner in Phoenix since '10, Poud Rhino sliders, swing out spare tire carrier, lucky 8 spacers with lift and limiting straps, RTT on Front Runner rack, dual battery, Ham radio etc... Thinking of making the leap to the Overtrail. Thought about the Defender but feel the Lexus would be a better fit now. Your experience with the Overtrail compared to the LR4 (I still have mine) both offroad and on?
Thanks
I loved my Land Rovers but the repairs & maintenance are just ridiculous. I looked at the Defender briefly but I knew it would be a money-pit like the rest of them. I am really enjoying this GX550. I feel bad but I don't miss the LR4 at all (I feel bad mainly because of all the money I poured into it). The best thing about the GX550? Install a $450 preload collar lift and you can fit 35s. It would take an act of God to get 35s on the LR4. The GX is somehow smoother than the LR4 with the air suspension, which really surprised me. Lexus knows suspension. Off road it's a bit bigger but it feels every bit as capable. I haven't really had the opportunity to push it much yet. Heading up to Happy Jack this coming weekend and I'll get some off road miles in.

I loved my Land Rovers but the repairs & maintenance are just ridiculous. I looked at the Defender briefly but I knew it would be a money-pit like the rest of them. I am really enjoying this GX550. I feel bad but I don't miss the LR4 at all (I feel bad mainly because of all the money I poured into it). The best thing about the GX550? Install a $450 preload collar lift and you can fit 35s. It would take an act of God to get 35s on the LR4. The GX is somehow smoother than the LR4 with the air suspension, which really surprised me. Lexus knows suspension. Off road it's a bit bigger but it feels every bit as capable. I haven't really had the opportunity to push it much yet. Heading up to Happy Jack this coming weekend and I'll get some off road miles in.
Was around the Happy Jack area (Flagstaff, Rim and such) last weekend and will be in Flag the coming weekend as well. If you have time and wouldn't mind I’d appreciate seeing your vehicle. I will pm my number to you

I finally got around to finishing the mounting points for my Ironman 4x4 shade canopy.

I'm not the kind of guy who needs to drive around town looking like I'm ready for the zombie apocalypse to start any minute, with all sorts of shit strapped to my truck, so there was no way I'm leaving the shade canopy on my truck full-time.

So I bought a pair of these quick-release mounting brackets:
Awning Quick Release Mounting Brackets

They advertise them as mounting the male hook piece on your rack and the female piece on the back of the shade canopy but I didn't want those dorky hooks living full time on my rack. The hooks would also stick up a few inches over the top of my rack which wouldn't let me get in my own garage not to mention parking garages around town. So I simply reversed the male & female parts and mounted the hooks on the canopy and the female part on the side of my roof rack.

The two pieces of the brackets are secured with some large swivel hitch pin clips that go through pre-drilled holes in the male & female parts that line up when mounted, but the Iron-man supplied clips touched the white paint on the truck when inserted so I bought some stainless steel straight-pins and separate cotter pins. The rack is very secure and it doesn't rattle. Surprisingly, I couldn't hear any wind noise even on the highway. I'll have to get some pictures of the shade canopy opened up (or "deployed" as the zombie apocalypse overlanders like to say) on my next camping trip. It's still too damn hot here to open it up just for a picture.

Another problem was where to store this long shade canopy when it's not on the truck? I'd typically just lean it up in a corner of my garage but all the corners are already taken up with useless shit. While looking at it on the truck I thought what would be the easiest way to get it on & off and store it and I realized that the perfect solution was to hang it on the ceiling. So a few big hooks went in and now it's easy to just lower it onto the truck and then lift it back up onto the hooks and the canopy is out of everyone's way. Luckily it clears the garage by about a quarter inch. The zippers actually brush the garage door when it's opening and closing.

View attachment 3045View attachment 3046View attachment 3047View attachment 3048View attachment 3049View attachment 3050View attachment 3051View attachment 3052View attachment 3053View attachment 3054View attachment 3055View attachment 3056View attachment 3057View attachment 3058View attachment 3059
Love the Trump flag! I live in Australia and this place has gone to shit because of the leftist gov we have here. You at least have the chance to take yours back in Nov. God bless!

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)