Brake Controller Question

Dieselking

Dec 26, 2023
Media
Minneapolis
Happy Day! I am picking my boys up from college, so I have emptied out my enclosed trailer and I am ready to go....except my GX550 keeps telling me the "Brake Controller is Off". I don't see how to turn it on...the manual slide does nothing... the plus (+) button to turn up the gain does nothing but give me the OFF message? (Truck acknowledged theirs a trailer connected, lights all work....I went into the menu and told the car it's 0-4999#) Any hints, tips or suggestions?

1715950508248.png

Lexus GX550 will not allow cruise when towing a trailer w electric brakes per the head tech at the dealer. He talked to the powers that be at Lexus.

So I can use cruise when pulling my 22’, 6,000# boat w surge brakes (but Lexus ASKS that you turn off all the safety features whilst towing???—see owners manual)…..because this trailer has surge brakes.

BUT—— My 5X8 enclosed trailer that weighs 800# will NOT ALLOW CRUISE because it has electric brakes. How’s that gonna work when I drive across the country????

I tested a work-around the other day.

I turned off the built in brake controller in the GX550.

I plugged in my Radio Frequency (RF) Tekonsha, on a trailer with electric brakes and viola……cruise works.

So I have to buy $500 brake controller to have cruise control available to tow an 800# trailer. Swing and a miss Lexus!!!

(This is me towing new trailer home from dealer. (I didn’t want the extra 700 miles on the GX so I used my 4Runner))

Attachments

• IMG_2673.jpeg
    IMG_2673.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 36
FWIW, we ran into this the first time we tried to pull our airstream. It seems that if it's under 4999# it doesn't want to use the controller. Set it to the next one 5000# and it'll work.

Also, I was able to get the GX 500 to work with cruise control with the trailer - just not adaptive cruise. If you tap the little cruise control button it'll cycle between normal and adaptive - it should work with normal. It did with mine for 900 miles last week anyway and it has electric brakes.

FWIW, we ran into this the first time we tried to pull our airstream. It seems that if it's under 4999# it doesn't want to use the controller. Set it to the next one 5000# and it'll work.

Also, I was able to get the GX 500 to work with cruise control with the trailer - just not adaptive cruise. If you tap the little cruise control button it'll cycle between normal and adaptive - it should work with normal. It did with mine for 900 miles last week anyway and it has electric brakes.
That makes sense, the adaptive cruise has to manage a lot to keep the GX distanced from other vehicles and lane tracing to keep it in the lane, both of which would be sketchy with a trailer attached. But regular cruise is just speed based so that's on the driver to manage. Thanks for sharing that info.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)