Cracked Windshield (non impact) < 500 mi

Got in the GX last night and saw a crack in my windshield in the center at the bottom. It was behind the wipers, not from an impact.

Anyone else with this issue?

I reached out to the dealer, waiting to hear back.
Same thing happened to me but on my Ford F150, 6000 miles and it just appeared in the upper right corner one morning. Dealer said it looked like a stress crack and replaced it promptly. You would think Lexus would be better than a Ford dealer and take care of it. BUT with all the surprising crap Toyota has been pulling lately I bid you good luck. I was going to purchase a new GX but not anymore.

I never buy extra warranties for new vehicles, but did buy the windshield warranty product for the my GX. The "rake" on these 550's is pretty vertical and vulnerable to rocks. It cost 1250 (4 year/50k miles), but it's through Lexus and done by Lexus, and they replace with OEM windshield, which many ins. companies won't due (think safelite). And you won't have to make a claim on auto insurance, which is huge.
In Florida windshield replacement free. Not a claims issue

Today windshield hit by 2 inch rock from dump truck.. On highway at 70 mph.. Flew Over front of hood

No damage to hood and not even a divot in windshield.. Real lucky.. Huge impact noise

Nothing done to it. The dealer claims it was an object striking it, but there is no evidence of that.

What’s the going rate for getting the windshield film?
I haven't installed any UV/IR windshield film but saw $300-350 for a high quality product. I did this on an Audi before but had some strange artifacts with polarized lenses and then ended up knifing the film myself after I forgot it was on there to remove a registration sticker :/ Not saying anything like this would have helped prevent or anything, was just more curious/asking if you had anyone working on/around the windshield that may have stressed it.

Got in the GX last night and saw a crack in my windshield in the center at the bottom. It was behind the wipers, not from an impact.

Hi, 8 days in and I got the same crack in the middle starting at the very bottom. No evidence of impact. How did your dealer handle it?

I never buy extra warranties for new vehicles, but did buy the windshield warranty product for the my GX. The "rake" on these 550's is pretty vertical and vulnerable to rocks. It cost 1250 (4 year/50k miles), but it's through Lexus and done by Lexus, and they replace with OEM windshield, which many ins. companies won't due (think safelite). And you won't have to make a claim on auto insurance, which is huge.
But I think the cap on this coverage is 350, which means does that even cover one replacement?

Ok yes my dealer just went through these with me yesterday and I saw “coverage limit 350” and asked “is that it, one windshield? Does that even cover cost or one windshield?” And he said “yes that’s it.” So not sure what to make of that..

This is what I bought...

Crystal Fusion

An ultra-hydrophobic coating that protects and clarifies your windshield glass backed
by a warranty for repair & replacement.
HOW YOU’LL BENEFIT:
Prevents cracks or chips
Unlimited repairs
Unlimited replacement of glass (OEM)
Covers recalibration
Improves visibility

FYI, your insurance co can cover OEM with an additional premium. Mine was $135/yr. I only found this out after buying the Lexus Chrystal Fusion insurance for $1200. My salesman said it was the only extra he recommended. Two weeks in, rock hit my window and I received a small crack. I think the Crystal Fusion keeps it from spreading, not cracking.

Latest Discussions

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 9 69.2%
Back