Current GX 550 owners - questions....

BRCinLA22

Apr 16, 2024
Louisiana
I'm supposed to be picking up my new GX next week (current ETA). I have several questions:
1) I shopped interest rates through my bank and credit union. Currently, credit union will beat other offers by 1%. Anybody recently financed through Lexus? what is their best finance rate these days?
2) I've kept up with the forum on things enough to know I want the dealer to change a few things before I leave (because I live 2+ hours away).
  • AC default to ON....I live in the swamps of LA...
  • Turn off auto brake feature
  • Figure out the whole 'memory seats' feature
  • get a tool from the dealer for roof rack removal if/when the noise gets to be too much
Anything else I should be addressing with the dealership? Annoying features, etc.? Also - is there still no lift/leveling kit for these with a Lexus part number yet? Opinions on voiding the suspension warranty, and have it done elsewhere? I currently drive a Tundra 4x4 with lift. The low ride is going to be my biggest adjustment.

Not sure what current rates are. I was planning to finance through my credit union but Lexus (in Minnesota) said they could provide a better rate, which they did. Turns out the financing was through Wells Fargo, not Lexus financial.

No idea on rates, but if you get the OT, the roof rack comes off easily with a T30 Torx bit, no special tools required.

Last edited:
I got my loan through Lexus Financial, about 2 months ago. Rate is 6.9%. However two caveats:
1. I chose their loan (instead of an alternative), despite a higher interest rate because there was no pre-payment penalty through Lexus. I triple the monthly payments so that I can pay it off much faster and save interest payments over the life of the loan.
2. The fed just lowered the reserve interest rate substantially. So "all" loans should be lower than they were a couple months ago. So my rate would not compare to what you should expect today.

I dunno what is up with the ac, sometimes it is on sometimes it is off
Make sure your cool box is OFFwhen you want all AC to be off. If the cool box is switched on, it doesn’t matter how you set any of your other controls as the AC will continue to be on as that is what the cool box requires

I've had mine about three weeks. Best interest rate was through PNC at 6.6%. My wife happens to be a Regional Investment Manager for them. I work for Tarrant County and I suspect the TC Credit Union will beat this rate by enough to refi next summer.

My lexus dealer somehow got me 4.49% in late July through a bank called first south credit union. I gave them the best i could get (which was through PenFed credit union). They get kickbacks for placing financing, so if you get something competitive yourself, go to them with the pre-qualification approval and tell them they can place the loan if they can beat what you secured yourself

Any Suggestions on what to do in my situation? I'm waiting for a Overtrail to become available. No rush. My current ride is a 2023 Tacoma, which I own, and will not keep. I can pay cash for the Overtrail, but wondering if financing it (paying it off a month or two later, as long as there isn't a prepayment penalty), or leasing it (and paying the residual at the end of the lease) are better options. Also, if I should trade in my Tacoma or try to sell privately (potential PITA). I'm not too familiar with financing a vehicle, so any advice would help.

I would still be driving my 2016 4Runner Off-Road Premium if it wasn't totaled. I loved that thing! I thought I'd prefer a pickup, which I do not. Owned a Rivian briefly, then got the Tacoma. I want to go back to a SUV.

This forum is a great source of info! Thanks!

Any Suggestions on what to do in my situation? I'm waiting for a Overtrail to become available. No rush. My current ride is a 2023 Tacoma, which I own, and will not keep. I can pay cash for the Overtrail, but wondering if financing it (paying it off a month or two later, as long as there isn't a prepayment penalty), or leasing it (and paying the residual at the end of the lease) are better options. Also, if I should trade in my Tacoma or try to sell privately (potential PITA). I'm not too familiar with financing a vehicle, so any advice would help.

I would still be driving my 2016 4Runner Off-Road Premium if it wasn't totaled. I loved that thing! I thought I'd prefer a pickup, which I do not. Owned a Rivian briefly, then got the Tacoma. I want to go back to a SUV.

The main benefit for trading is you only pay tax on the difference between your trade and the cost of the vehicle, rather than the entire cost of the vehicle. For me, had I been able to sell my Denali for 5K more, it would have been a wash. I prefer them to handle all the paper work....

Definitely trade in your Tacoma to maximize the tax advantage. Depending on your state, you’ll likely save $7-900 per $10000 your Tacoma is worth. Then if you can swing it, pay for the GX in cash as the interest rate environment is still not that friendly. You’re going to be paying a lot in finance charges if you go that route.

You’re miles ahead if you can pay cash. I sell my vehicles rather than trade and have always done better than trade in value + tax savings by a few grand. I also keep impeccable service records and pamper my vehicles. In the past negotiating price while offering to finance (then pay it off the next day) with the dealer was a great tactic to get the lowest price. GX is still to sought after for this to work. Good luck and congrats.

For the current Premium Plus owners, is the body roll as severe as I'm hearing. I would expect some body roll since it's a body on frame construction, but not as severe as some youtube videos make it out to be. Just curious since we have one on order. Thanks for any input.

For the current Premium Plus owners, is the body roll as severe as I'm hearing. I would expect some body roll since it's a body on frame construction, but not as severe as some youtube videos make it out to be. Just curious since we have one on order. Thanks for any input.
Body roll compared to what? A silverado or f-150, no…. A unibody suv audi or bmw, yes

What are you used to driving?

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 19 63.3%
Back