Dealer Markup List California

Critmonkey

Jan 24, 2024
Media
California
I’m thankful to have a dealer near me that will sell me a GX at msrp. But I was curious and started to shop around to see what other inventory was coming in the next few months. I was astonished that almost every dealer is selling at steep markups.

For starters, most of SoCal dealers and NorCal dealers are selling at markup.

I also had the displeasure of being misled at Tustin Lexus. A salesman foolishly pushed to get a substantial $2500 non refundable deposit out of me claiming they only sell at MSRP. It was until I asked the question 5 times, and before submitting my license and insurance as well as deposit that he so happened to inform me that they are selling at a $5,000 markup.

I wanted to see if someone here can compile a working list of dealers, specifically in California to better inform customers of their buying potential and avoid dealers who are pushing these annoying practices.

For example: Motor City Bakersfield, Longo Lexus, and Steven’s Creek Lexus are the dealers that I found who sell at MSRP. I’m not sure who else does, but that is slim pickings out of the whole state of California. Longo and Steven’s Creeks lists are in the hundreds.

Sorry for the rambling, but I feel this data needs to be compiled for the event someone else is looking for MSRP.

Thanks

I’m thankful to have a dealer near me that will sell me a GX at msrp. But I was curious and started to shop around to see what other inventory was coming in the next few months. I was astonished that almost every dealer is selling at steep markups.

For starters, most of SoCal dealers and NorCal dealers are selling at markup.

I also had the displeasure of being misled at Tustin Lexus. A salesman foolishly pushed to get a substantial $2500 non refundable deposit out of me claiming they only sell at MSRP. It was until I asked the question 5 times, and before submitting my license and insurance as well as deposit that he so happened to inform me that they are selling at a $5,000 markup.

I wanted to see if someone here can compile a working list of dealers, specifically in California to better inform customers of their buying potential and avoid dealers who are pushing these annoying practices.

For example: Motor City Bakersfield, Longo Lexus, and Steven’s Creek Lexus are the dealers that I found who sell at MSRP. I’m not sure who else does, but that is slim pickings out of the whole state of California. Longo and Steven’s Creeks lists are in the hundreds.

Sorry for the rambling, but I feel this data needs to be compiled for the event someone else is looking for MSRP.

Thanks
I've seen anywhere from $5 - $25K over MSRP. If a dealer wants to charge above MSRP - don't lose your temper. Merely tell them to go fuk themselves.

I visited South County Lexus (Mission Viejo) CA this week. They have 10+ on the lot. $8k over msrp + add on bs. I’m paying cash and offered msrp + tax, doc, license. They came down to $3k over and no dealer add on’s for what it’s worth. Felt really bad for the young sales guy who took a ton of time and let me do a proper test drive. He and his mgr seemed shocked I wouldn’t budge. I calmly explained, Paying anything over msrp would be doing an injustice to the market and buyers who maybe not as fortunate. I asked how they felt about selling their customers into an “upside down” situation? Is this worth it for the extra few $k or would doing fair deals be a better approach for long term loyalty etc… I gave these two young men some interesting things to ponder as my wife and I strolled out. Enjoyed the experience but sadly not able to persuade them to do the deal. Waiting for now.

I visited South County Lexus (Mission Viejo) CA this week. They have 10+ on the lot. $8k over msrp + add on bs. I’m paying cash and offered msrp + tax, doc, license. They came down to $3k over and no dealer add on’s for what it’s worth. Felt really bad for the young sales guy who took a ton of time and let me do a proper test drive. He and his mgr seemed shocked I wouldn’t budge. I calmly explained, Paying anything over msrp would be doing an injustice to the market and buyers who maybe not as fortunate. I asked how they felt about selling their customers into an “upside down” situation? Is this worth it for the extra few $k or would doing fair deals be a better approach for long term loyalty etc… I gave these two young men some interesting things to ponder as my wife and I strolled out. Enjoyed the experience but sadly not able to persuade them to do the deal. Waiting for now.
Mark up above MSRP is just like someone handing me a machine to add a tip. It's gone beyond overboard these days. Dealers get kick backs left and right via financing/writing a lease AND normal mark-up. In addition - dealers now make more money from service than they do selling cars. I have walked from 3 of the exact GX's I've wanted for that reason - one dealer wanted me to pay $25K over sticker and would not budge. Then there are the silly dealer adds that - interior protection, ceramic coating, paint protection - etc. I've had dealers add on $12k for nonsense accessories while telling me they do not have a mark-up.

High five for walking without the deal you wanted - never look back when dealing with dishonesty.

Last edited:
Yup, Longo is a good, no hassles dealership. I've purchased a Tacoma from them and put my deposit down for the GX a few days ago. However, since they're one of the only SoCal dealerships that don't mark up their vehicles, their waitlist is currently 500+ and an estimated wait time of 8-12 months according to my rep. Works out for me because I want a MY 2025 or 2026 anyways.

Yup, Longo is a good, no hassles dealership. I've purchased a Tacoma from them and put my deposit down for the GX a few days ago. However, since they're one of the only SoCal dealerships that don't mark up their vehicles, their waitlist is currently 500+ and an estimated wait time of 8-12 months according to my rep. Works out for me because I want a MY 2025 or 2026 anyways.
When did you order yours with Longo?

Lexus Escondido and Lexus Carlsbad are selling at MSRP. I paid MSRP for my Overtrail at Lexus Carlsbad, but they did add on a few dealer additions that came to 5k. 3K of which I would have added myself.

Anyone dealt with Cerritos Lexus?

They're a Monogram dealership (which supposedly means pricing transparency) but it looks like they're owned by Auto Nation...which does shady stuff.

Came oh so close to closing the deal on one this morning in my home state of WA. Sales guy had no qualms admitting the add ons were his dealerships way of sliding in the MA. I appreciated his candor. He did offer to split the $3900 DA with me. “Not gon doit, wouldn’t be prudent”🤣🤣. I’m seriously leaning toward handing Longo the deposit and waiting it out.

Latest Discussions

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 9 69.2%
Back