Dealer Markup List California

Came oh so close to closing the deal on one this morning in my home state of WA. Sales guy had no qualms admitting the add ons were his dealerships way of sliding in the MA. I appreciated his candor. He did offer to split the $3900 DA with me. “Not gon doit, wouldn’t be prudent”🤣🤣. I’m seriously leaning toward handing Longo the deposit and waiting it out.
Its almost like the old saying that 'waking up to sex is great, but not prison sex'

Came oh so close to closing the deal on one this morning in my home state of WA. Sales guy had no qualms admitting the add ons were his dealerships way of sliding in the MA. I appreciated his candor. He did offer to split the $3900 DA with me. “Not gon doit, wouldn’t be prudent”🤣🤣. I’m seriously leaning toward handing Longo the deposit and waiting it out.
Make sure to either have the car shipped or be confident in the rules around picking it up in person. My understanding is if you buy a car in California and then drive it home, you are liable for CA taxes.

Make sure to either have the car shipped or be confident in the rules around picking it up in person. My understanding is if you buy a car in California and then drive it home, you are liable for CA taxes.
You are liable for taxes only WHERE you register - not where you buy. Some states think otherwise though :)

. I’ve thought about buying and shipping - but would NEVER buy without someone looking at it first - never trust car dealers.

Confirmed with my local DMV they will credit sales tax paid in CA. Luckily the two rates are close as WA does not refund the difference.

Just some anecdotal info for anyone considering purchasing from another state and hasn't been through the process. It was a nightmare. I live in LA and bought a Tacoma from Portland. I had to weigh and smog the car even though it was brand new. I couldn't register the car for months because the DMV apparently didn't get the paperwork from the dealer. Once they did, the info was wrong (unbeknownst to me). I still got license plates and sticker, but they were showing for another vehicle in the DMV system. After a few weeks of driving, I was pulled over, put in cuffs, and stuck in the back of a squad car for 2 hours until they sorted everything out because they thought I stole the Tacoma and switched out the plates. Some of the issues weren't directly tied to purchasing out of state, but never doing that again.

Just some anecdotal info for anyone considering purchasing from another state and hasn't been through the process. It was a nightmare. I live in LA and bought a Tacoma from Portland. I had to weigh and smog the car even though it was brand new. I couldn't register the car for months because the DMV apparently didn't get the paperwork from the dealer. Once they did, the info was wrong (unbeknownst to me). I still got license plates and sticker, but they were showing for another vehicle in the DMV system. After a few weeks of driving, I was pulled over, put in cuffs, and stuck in the back of a squad car for 2 hours until they sorted everything out because they thought I stole the Tacoma and switched out the plates. Some of the issues weren't directly tied to purchasing out of state, but never doing that again.
That could not have gone any worse if you scripted it! Sorry you had such a nightmare experience.

That could not have gone any worse if you scripted it! Sorry you had such a nightmare experience.
Well, I forgot to add I had a ton of issues when selling the car because the DMV still had issues with the info in their system at the time.

Thanks. It was in incredibly crappy experience at the time, but it makes for a good story now. Haha.

I'm surprised they put you in cuffs - is stealing a car in CA even illegal anymore?

That would be the smartest move, especially if you are not in urgent need of a new vehicle. You get to support a business with at least some scruples, and while you wait you can save up more money for the down payment and/or some dope upgrades!

For anyone interested, Longo has 3 GXs listed as in “In Stock”. Their other ~60 show as “Sale Pending” so I’m guessing the 3 are unspoken for. Longo is an MSRP dealer as well.

Lexus Escondido is adding $7-$12k of paint film and other crap all while claiming they sell at MSRP
Lexus Temecula is doing something similar. Adding a bunch of unnecessary
Lexus Escondido is adding $7-$12k of paint film and other crap all while claiming they sell at MSRP
Lexus Temecula is doing the same thing. Average $8-$10K of extras while claiming they sell at MSRP. The game continues until buyers put an end to it. I drove an overtrail in Temecula… convinced myself the Luxury or Luxury+ will look & feel more luxury and a smoother drive, but I’ve heard the drive is worse on the Luxury/+? Anyway, doesn’t matter until I find one at MSRP. Refuse to throw an additional $10K on top of an $80K+ SUV with an underwhelming interior (as much as I hate saying it out loud!)

Bought my OT + from Lexus Valencia. They added a bunch of extras on to MSRP and added 3k markup. The deal was a mess with paperwork and communication and I won’t be back, but I did get atomic silver ot+ without waiting. They seem to be getting allocation though - so if you want to deal with them be prepared to read every detail and be very clear what you are paying for. They made it right in the end but mostly because I pushed hard.

San Diego is MSRP with added $3k for ceramic, Xpel, and tint. Last I spoke to them they said they don’t do reservations. They’re on a first come, first serve basis.

Latest Discussions

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 9 69.2%
Back