Dreaded "Toyota Lean?"

If something is off with the suspension I think you'd feel it want to jump left or right after a bump.

Either way, definitely not normal. Hope the dealer gets you sorted out asap.
I don’t notice any inconsistency in handling as a result, but then again I’ve only driven as it sits now. So no point of reference for comparison.

As an update - I did go to the dealer on Friday, and the lead tech was super cool and let me come back to the shop, put it on a rack and inspect and measure.

We measured both on empty and then again with a full tank. In both configurations , we confirmed the lean. It’s technically within acceptable spec for side to side variance, but I’m not happy with that explanation given this clearly doesn’t affect every truck.

So he wants to try checking pressures on KDSS system and bleeding it. If that doesn’t reveal an issue, we may try new strut / spring on the affected side.

Just because they all do it does not mean it's not a lemon.. BTW who comes up with the specs..

Let's remember pintos met spec.. And I would argue all are lemons

Corvair perhaps the same

So just because it "meets spec" or they all do it does not mean it's not a lemon or defective..

Just because they all do it does not mean it's not a lemon.. BTW who comes up with the specs..

Let's remember pintos met spec.. And I would argue all are lemons

Corvair perhaps the same

So just because it "meets spec" or they all do it does not mean it's not a lemon or defective..

I don’t follow. They don’t all do it. That’s the issue. The dealer is saying my lean is within spec, but they don’t all exhibit a lean. So there is a cause. It may be considered within spec, but if every single truck doesn’t have it, it’s not an intended design feature.

I don’t follow. They don’t all do it. That’s the issue. The dealer is saying my lean is within spec, but they don’t all exhibit a lean. So there is a cause. It may be considered within spec, but if every single truck doesn’t have it, it’s not an intended design feature.
Or parts supplier spec is not being confirmed before factory use of parts.. Every 6 cylinder twin turbo not being recalled by Toyota.. Only 120,000.. So some specific parts VS all. .. Doesn't mean it's not potentially a lemon

Or not..

I don’t notice any inconsistency in handling as a result, but then again I’ve only driven as it sits now. So no point of reference for comparison.

As an update - I did go to the dealer on Friday, and the lead tech was super cool and let me come back to the shop, put it on a rack and inspect and measure.

We measured both on empty and then again with a full tank. In both configurations , we confirmed the lean. It’s technically within acceptable spec for side to side variance, but I’m not happy with that explanation given this clearly doesn’t affect every truck.

So he wants to try checking pressures on KDSS system and bleeding it. If that doesn’t reveal an issue, we may try new strut / spring on the affected side.
Man, that’s surprising they said it’s within spec. It’s visually way off in the photos.
Can you keep pressing them to find the issue? Do a corner weights measurement or test the springs.

I’m assuming the the E-KDSS or any of the suspension settings (Sport+, Normal, Comfort) will not change ride height, correct?

My Cayenne has the hydraulic suspension and each time you open/close the door, the suspension recalibrates itself. But it tends to blow fuses in super cold weather and will cause the dreaded hydraulic sag in the rear.

But with the GX, it’s all electronically controlled. And it would be more of a spring issue than a damper.

Hope they get this sorted out! Keep us posted.

Man, that’s surprising they said it’s within spec. It’s visually way off in the photos.
Can you keep pressing them to find the issue? Do a corner weights measurement or test the springs.

I’m assuming the the E-KDSS or any of the suspension settings (Sport+, Normal, Comfort) will not change ride height, correct?

My Cayenne has the hydraulic suspension and each time you open/close the door, the suspension recalibrates itself. But it tends to blow fuses in super cold weather and will cause the dreaded hydraulic sag in the rear.

But with the GX, it’s all electronically controlled. And it would be more of a spring issue than a damper.

Hope they get this sorted out! Keep us posted.
Agreed, but they did commit to continuing to investigate until I'm satisfied. It will go back to them next week. Would have left it with them, but have a road trip this week.

It's got to be either the KDSS or a spring issue. Hopefully as simple as bleeding KDSS or calibrating pressure.

Agreed, but they did commit to continuing to investigate until I'm satisfied. It will go back to them next week. Would have left it with them, but have a road trip this week.

It's got to be either the KDSS or a spring issue. Hopefully as simple as bleeding KDSS or calibrating pressure.
Hello I just picked up a new gx550 overtrail 4 weeks ago. Currrently at 1300 miles. It also has a lean to the right. Picture of vehicle height, order is LR, RR removed the front cause wrong order.

Attachments

• IMG_2542.jpeg
    IMG_2542.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2576.jpeg
    IMG_2576.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2575.jpeg
    IMG_2575.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Hello I just picked up a new gx550 overtrail 4 weeks ago. Currrently at 1300 miles. It also has a lean to the right. Picture of vehicle height, order is LR, RR, FL, FR.
Thanks for weighing in ! Are you thinking you'll also pursue some sort of remedy ? I think the more of these cases they get, the more attention they'll devote to investigation.

Thanks for weighing in ! Are you thinking you'll also pursue some sort of remedy ? I think the more of these cases they get, the more attention they'll devote to investigation.
yes I am. because I have the westcott lift kit coming in and that will void it. So I want to have this checked out at lexus before I have it installed with 35 inch tires.
But to test. The selections from comfort to sport+, doe not change it. I even went from low range to high range. I did not get to use low range with articulation to see if the sway bar disconnect will allow the height to loosen up. My appt is tomorrow.

yes I am. because I have the westcott lift kit coming in and that will void it. So I want to have this checked out at lexus before I have it installed with 35 inch tires.
But to test. The selections from comfort to sport+, doe not change it. I even went from low range to high range. I did not get to use low range with articulation to see if the sway bar disconnect will allow the height to loosen up. My appt is tomorrow.
I tried all those settings too. And also got some serious articulation, but no change . . .
IMG_3116.jpeg

Reactions: MJE

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 14 66.7%
Back