Dreaded "Toyota Lean?"

Mine does the same thing. The dealership said it was within specs
HMMM.. i would not accept that answer without documentation.. A COPY OF THE SPEC. THink about it for a few minutes.. the engineers and designers come up with a new model or a model update and present it to the group approving for production. WOULD ANYONE accept a vehicle of this type.. and market position have a built in lean? would they approve production.. or were they never told it would have a lean as part of the spec. THe answer you were given was created after productions tarted and a lean was discovered. Unacceptable answer... unacceptable position.. DId it lean when you purchased it? do others they have show a lean? and even if they do show a lean it does not mean it is not a lemon..

ASK TO SEE the written spec that says a lean is acceptable and what degree of lean is acceptable.. If they do not fix it take it to the lemon law folks in your sate. because even if it is a written spec it does not mean that they are not all lemons.. THink pinto gas tanks.. and corvair handeling caracteristics. they all performed the same... they all were recalled..

HMMM.. i would not accept that answer without documentation.. A COPY OF THE SPEC. THink about it for a few minutes.. the engineers and designers come up with a new model or a model update and present it to the group approving for production. WOULD ANYONE accept a vehicle of this type.. and market position have a built in lean? would they approve production.. or were they never told it would have a lean as part of the spec. THe answer you were given was created after productions tarted and a lean was discovered. Unacceptable answer... unacceptable position.. DId it lean when you purchased it? do others they have show a lean? and even if they do show a lean it does not mean it is not a lemon..

ASK TO SEE the written spec that says a lean is acceptable and what degree of lean is acceptable.. If they do not fix it take it to the lemon law folks in your sate. because even if it is a written spec it does not mean that they are not all lemons.. THink pinto gas tanks.. and corvair handeling caracteristics. they all performed the same... they all were recalled..
here was the report. should be clear.

Attachments

• IMG_2590.png
    IMG_2590.png
    954.3 KB · Views: 101
guess so, more than half an inch lean on one side.
THat means the difference is basically just over 1/2 an inch. You would have to be looking pretty darn hard to ever be able to see 1/2 inch lean over a 7' wide car. I would measure it myself to make sure I agree with their measurements, but 1/2 " is nothing.

THat means the difference is basically just over 1/2 an inch. You would have to be looking pretty darn hard to ever be able to see 1/2 inch lean over a 7' wide car. I would measure it myself to make sure I agree with their measurements, but 1/2 " is nothing.
I agree its nothing in numbers but since someone told you your expensive car looks like it is sagging, your definitely looking for it now.

Quick update - Had a very irritating call with the service advisor who essentially just talked in circles trying to placate me, and then I called the actual lead technician who opened my ticket. He confirmed it was not normal, and wants me to bring the truck in for measurements. I'll probably try to do that tomorrow.

In the meantime, if anyone following happens to have a truck currently in need of gas, I'd LOVE to get a pic / measurement of your left to right rear fender heights from the ground both on E and right after with a full tank. I have a feeling I may need to provide some external evidence at some point showing the lean is not in fact normal.
Any update on this? Was there a solution? thanks!

from my pictures measurement: left rear is 38.7 inches from the floor and right rear is 37.7 inches from floor. yes i know measure from the center hub. But im just giving perspective cause the floor is flat. tire pressure all around is 37 psi.

Ill give another measurement from hub again in a bit.

I just measured my premium plus, it leans 0.25 inch to passenger side. damn you forum for making me see things that now I cannot unsee haha. It's interesting everyone is leaning to the right, there must be a reason...

I just measured my premium plus, it leans 0.25 inch to passenger side. damn you forum for making me see things that now I cannot unsee haha. It's interesting everyone is leaning to the right, there must be a reason...
lol, once you see it, you will look for it now. But .25 inch is not bad. My gx550 is leaning more than half a inch. So far yes, I only see leans to the passenger.

Get a 4’ level. Drive onto a cement pad. Put the 4’ level on the ground to make sure the ground is level both left to right and front to back. Measure the left and right side of the hub space described above. As long as the measurements are under.59” different snap a picture from the back.

Get a 4’ level. Drive onto a cement pad. Put the 4’ level on the ground to make sure the ground is level both left to right and front to back. Measure the left and right side of the hub space described above. As long as the measurements are under.59” different snap a picture from the back.
i have the westcott coming in soon and I already have 17 inch rims 35 inch tires. hopefully it wont be as noticeable after.

Any update on this? Was there a solution? thanks!
Just dropped mine this morning. I relayed the info from @lexyjoe’s case. My tech also noted the lean is within spec, but he is convinced he can adjust the pressures in the KDSS and lessen it, if not remedy it entirely.

For those fussed about the whole “within spec” thing, that’s not unusual. Super common to have small variances like that between identical cars. My tech said he’s been measuring each one that comes off the truck since I alerted him to it, and they’re measuring differently within that range.

What would bother me is if there was a fairly extreme outlier (like mine), and Lexus took the position that there was absolutely nothing they could do. There is.

Just dropped mine this morning. I relayed the info from @lexyjoe’s case. My tech also noted the lean is within spec, but he is convinced he can adjust the pressures in the KDSS and lessen it, if not remedy it entirely.

For those fussed about the whole “within spec” thing, that’s not unusual. Super common to have small variances like that between identical cars. My tech said he’s been measuring each one that comes off the truck since I alerted him to it, and they’re measuring differently within that range.

What would bother me is if there was a fairly extreme outlier (like mine), and Lexus took the position that there was absolutely nothing they could do. There is.
let me know if your tech fixes issue so I can have my tech do the same. Thats good your tech is doing something. Ugh california sucks.

Further update - Just spoke with the tech. He bled the KDSS system and played with the pressures from low to high within Toyota's published specs. He said that made minor differences in ride height, but that the lean persists.

He said the options now are a small shim between body / frame to level out, or Toyota will send heavier / more progressive replacement springs to experiment with.

He is not concerned that the lean impacts handling in any way, and I've not noticed anything unusual. He doesn't recommend playing with spring rates, as that has potential to impact the factory-designed geometry, and I agree that's not a wise route. I've played with spring rates on my track cars, and you'd never change one corner in isolation.

So, not a terribly satisfying outcome for anyone, but I'm going to let him shim it and move on. Certainly other things for me to obsess about in life . . .

Reactions: MJE
Further update - Just spoke with the tech. He bled the KDSS system and played with the pressures from low to high within Toyota's published specs. He said that made minor differences in ride height, but that the lean persists.

He said the options now are a small shim between body / frame to level out, or Toyota will send heavier / more progressive replacement springs to experiment with.

He is not concerned that the lean impacts handling in any way, and I've not noticed anything unusual. He doesn't recommend playing with spring rates, as that has potential to impact the factory-designed geometry, and I agree that's not a wise route. I've played with spring rates on my track cars, and you'd never change one corner in isolation.

So, not a terribly satisfying outcome for anyone, but I'm going to let him shim it and move on. Certainly other things for me to obsess about in life . . .
wait so toyota has shims for it already to do a quick fix? Im just going to do the lift. Im hoping it fixes a little enough to not care.

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 10 66.7%
Back