First oil filter dissect

German88

May 8, 2024
Media
Spokane WA
Accordion’d the filter at my first change. 1446 miles. Only one section had minor metallic debris and minimal RTV throughout. Under very heavy magnification there is a fair amount of shiny particles throughout but nothing outside normal for the first 1000k. Very well made in JAPAN filter I might add. One of the best quality I’ve seen. Bought a whole case from my dealer as most online retailers/dealers are the selling the Thailand variant.

Attachments

• IMG_8880.jpeg
    IMG_8880.jpeg
    388.4 KB · Views: 67
How easy is it to change the oil yourself? I’ve never changed oil myself before on any vehicle.
Super easy. Biggest challenge is the undertray if you have the OT trim. Get yourself a large oil pan and figure out your best used oil recycler before hand. Hit me up if you need more help. I can send pics of the tools needed etc. All super basic stuff.

Gotcha. Thx. I’ll definitely hit you up after I get delivery of my OT+. I’m 2nd in line now but I specified to my dealership that I want a 2025 and not a 2024. Dealership has only received 1 OT+/month in two tone incognito and black roof.

Gotcha. Thx. I’ll definitely hit you up after I get delivery of my OT+. I’m 2nd in line now but I specified to my dealership that I want a 2025 and not a 2024. Dealership has only received 1 OT+/month in two tone incognito and black roof.
Great color choice and not bad move waiting on the 25.

Last edited:
Thanks! Am I going to need a set of ramps and a creeper to get under the vehicle to do this? Again, never changed my own oil before in my life!
Not necessary on either. So much room underneath. Make sure it's level and go to town. I do like tossing down a moving blanket for my knees and shoulders etc. Check the pics in the links @PepeLePew posted for the hose extension coming off the filter catch cup. Great design by Lexus but needs a little help getting past the frame otherwise your drooling oil on the frame.

So I’m trying to picture me doing this at some point. Is the 8.9” clearance enough for me to get underneath the car? Am I not going to be on my back looking up and trying to do this? Btw the link in PepelePew that you mentioned is great. Appreciate you sharing. Very detailed step by step with pics. Fantastic and tremendously helpful for everyone willing to tackle what appears to be a rather easy job.

LOL....changing oil at 700 miles. What a waste of time and resources.
Oil debates are pointless and un-original But you have inspired an idea aimed at conservation and resource enhancement. All you “10k” mile interval changers post up your “ship to” addresses. For the cost of freight you can have 1,3,5k mile oil sent direct.😂

I've been a member of a Land Rover Discovery website since I bought my first Rover in 1999. The oil debates are epic and endless!

The reality is that some of you are simply obsessed with oil....admit it!

I've been a member of a Land Rover Discovery website since I bought my first Rover in 1999. The oil debates are epic and endless!

The reality is that some of you are simply obsessed with oil....admit it!
Not obsessed with oil in the slightest but fully admit to it with upkeep and maintenance. Agreed on the rediculous oil debates. Hard to find a bad oil IMO. Couldn't care less what interval or oil others use. Your vehicle and you get to decide how best to care for it. Just don't whine about how I care for mine! Offer still stands on the free oil BTW(y) It's Valvoline which is hands down the best🤣🤣.

NA engine maybe but not today’s high strung boosted variants. I’ve always felt like the 10k interval was more marketing gimmick than sound advice.
Seems this expert agrees. “Final thoughts” at the end.

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 19 63.3%
Back