GX 550 apparent lean to passenger side.

dr joe

Jul 26, 2024
Maryland
I read a few posts with similiar observations. Read it is a full tank of gas among other causes. I have atrached a photo at the gas station immediately after filling up. This is before I started the vehicle and did not look again after starting the vehicle and allowing the computer to adapt, if that makes any difference at all. What see all u?? It seems to be pretty parallel with the ground to me
20240810_094735.jpg

I see a slight lean to the passenger side. I just measured my premium plus and it seems to lean a quarter inch in the same direction...

I read a few posts with similiar observations. Read it is a full tank of gas among other causes. I have atrached a photo at the gas station immediately after filling up. This is before I started the vehicle and did not look again after starting the vehicle and allowing the computer to adapt, if that makes any difference at all. What see all u?? It seems to be pretty parallel with the ground to meView attachment 2534
Close enough.

I got my wife a Land Cruiser first edition a month ago so I’ve been following that Forum as well as this one since I’m picking up an Overtrail for me next week. I’m as OCD as anyone when it comes to vehicles but have to say the folks on this Forum are way more intense! Hopefully you won’t be hearing from me about lean, hood vibration, too small a gas tank, etc., but then again maybe you will! Carpe Diem.

I see a slight lean to the passenger side. I just measured my premium plus and it seems to lean a quarter inch in the same direction...
Are you sure you're measuring from the exact, precise center of each wheel to the exact same place on each wheel arch? Or, if measuring from the ground, are you sure you're tagging the exact same place on each wheel arch? I say this because there is plenty of slop in the system if you just eyeball it. Oh, and also make sure you are parked on perfectly level ground...which you will never find. The best thing I've found is to measure on a good garage slab, then turn the truck around and measure again. A good garage slab should be about as close to level as you'll find, with a slight downward pitch out of the garage for drainage (thus turn around and measure again).

I got my wife a Land Cruiser first edition a month ago so I’ve been following that Forum as well as this one since I’m picking up an Overtrail for me next week. I’m as OCD as anyone when it comes to vehicles but have to say the folks on this Forum are way more intense! Hopefully you won’t be hearing from me about lean, hood vibration, too small a gas tank, etc., but then again maybe you will! Carpe Diem.
We’ve had our Overtrail + for a few weeks now and it’s absolutely awesome in every way. You will love it.

The gas tank is the Achille's Heel of this truck. The tank will hopefully be corrected by an aftermarket supplier like Long Range America. Unfortunately it will cost a couple grand but it can be corrected. The next major fault is the fuel economy. They should have just kept a V8 in this truck but they caved to political correctness and jumped on the absolutely meaningless turbo V6 bandwagon.

Extensive thread based on my lean experience here: Dreaded "Toyota Lean?"

TLDR - some of these are exhibiting a lean. The official Toyota range of "within spec" side to side ride height difference is .591". So, if yours is within that range, the "official" Toyota response will be that it's "normal." My tech has been measuring all the OTs that come in to the dealer as new stock since I raised my ticket a few weeks ago. They do all show minor variability. That's just down to manufacturing tolerances.

If you push them to remedy it, they can either order you replacement springs, or you can add shims between body and frame to level out the affected side.

In the Land Rover world a very common suspension upgrade is Old Man Emu springs & shocks (common in the Toyota world as well). We always dealt with the lean and you had to be sure to buy a "matched set" of springs instead of the "handed" springs (left- or right-handed). Over in England they have the drivers on the right side of the truck, and the Rover fuel tanks were typically on the right side of the truck too. So you'd buy a handed set of OME springs and put the taller springs on the English driver's side (right side) to give a half-inch of extra lift on that side to account for the weight of the driver + fuel. Over here you ended up with leaning trucks.

It's really not that big of a deal (no vehicle is perfectly level) but the severe Type A's among us (of which I am one) can get hung up on it and never unsee it, dream about it, obsess about it, get down on our expensive new trucks leaning to one side, we start seeing leaning shadows around every corner, we start accumulating copies of Catcher in the Rye, etc.

For jreifler's truck, I would have liked to see Lexus change out all your shocks/springs with new OEM stock.

In the Land Rover world a very common suspension upgrade is Old Man Emu springs & shocks (common in the Toyota world as well). We always dealt with the lean and you had to be sure to buy a "matched set" of springs instead of the "handed" springs (left- or right-handed). Over in England they have the drivers on the right side of the truck, and the Rover fuel tanks were typically on the right side of the truck too. So you'd buy a handed set of OME springs and put the taller springs on the English driver's side (right side) to give a half-inch of extra lift on that side to account for the weight of the driver + fuel. Over here you ended up with leaning trucks.

It's really not that big of a deal (no vehicle is perfectly level) but the severe Type A's among us (of which I am one) can get hung up on it and never unsee it, dream about it, obsess about it, get down on our expensive new trucks leaning to one side, we start seeing leaning shadows around every corner, we start accumulating copies of Catcher in the Rye, etc.

For jreifler's truck, I would have liked to see Lexus change out all your shocks/springs with new OEM stock.
Lol. I also won't accept anything other than OCD perfection on my cars, but wasn't concerned enough about this to force them to change out springs and struts. I probably would have pressed for that if I was convinced this was a "defect," rather than an outlier within the range of acceptable ride height variance.

I still don't like that it happened, but I'm fine with the shim fix, given there's no discernible impact on anything other than my sanity.

Every time I pick up my son from after-school-care, I walk out the front door and see the back of my truck in the same few parking spots that I use. Every time I see it visibly leaning to the right side. I saw the same thing with my previous truck, a 2013 Land Rover LR4. And I saw the same thing with my previous previous truck, a 2004 Land Rover Discovery. I realize that I see the same thing with any truck or high-clearance SUV parked in the same few spots...because the parking lot is not level!

I read a few posts with similiar observations. Read it is a full tank of gas among other causes. I have atrached a photo at the gas station immediately after filling up. This is before I started the vehicle and did not look again after starting the vehicle and allowing the computer to adapt, if that makes any difference at all. What see all u?? It seems to be pretty parallel with the ground to meView attachment 2534
Crazy! I had the exact same thing, but thought there was an issue with the suspension, causing the vibration in the truck! I even measured the wheel well and it was off by two inches, leaning to the right. It was parked at the beach over July 4th... Super flat and leaning all weekend, and then it just went away.

Attachments

• 20240704_193219.jpg
    20240704_193219.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240704_193251.jpg
    20240704_193251.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240704_193406.jpg
    20240704_193406.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 31

Latest Discussions

GX550 Poll